Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirroring Iphone on Tesla's screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

i have been using the search fonction to understand if someone found a way to mirror their iphone directly to the 17" screen.
The only thing i found is an old thread around CarPlay without any specific answer.

Since then, have we heard of anyway to do that? I know pure mirroring was possible in my former car (Mini), even if it required a jailbreak app to do so.

Having Waze or Tomtom directly on the screen (ideally just on half of it) would be awesome!

Apple and Samsung have already invented the perverbial wheel and continue to
perfect, change, update, revamp etc. Mirroring their phone devices on the 17" display surely is the easiest way to go. I agree. It should be done.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
On Sunday's This Week In Tech podcast, Leo Laporte, who has a model X in production, said that Elon made a statement during an overseas interview that Tesla has decided to support Apple and Android mirroring rather than develop their own app ecosystem. I haven't read that independently but I'm hopeful that it's true.

Here is the quote:
With respect to apps, when will be able to download apps into the Model S? As we've sort of thought about it more, the logical thing to do from an apps standpoint is to maybe allow apps on your iPhone or Android to project onto the center display as opposed to create a new App Ecosystem. That is probably going to be our focus in the future is enabling you to project apps from your phone onto the center screen. That seems like the logical move.

The source is here @17:21:

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had previous unofficial announcements (usually by Musk) about upcoming features - such as the 3rd party SDK or improved browser - which never happened.

Tesla appears to be the only "major" manufacturer that has not announced their plans to provide strong smartphone integration. While providing both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto would be a huge improvement over the very limited integration we have today, there other ways to solve the same problem - and I really don't care how they solve it - as long as we get something that provides comparable capabilities.

Because this is such a glaring hole in Tesla's onboard software strategy, they should tell their current and future owners what they are planning to do...

And, with Tesla's limited software resources, it would make sense for them to pick a solution that would leverage 3rd party resources as much as possible to solve this problem, which seems to be what the other manufacturers are doing.

Doesn't that mean there would be no interaction with the touch screen (mirrored image) then? Airplay is one-way, as is. Carplay seems like it would be better.
This has been discussed in other threads, and many people believe it means that you will be able to interact with the phone app by touching the car's center display.
I think that sounds like a good solution. I see no reason for Tesla to devote resources to improving on what Apple and Google Android have already figured out.

The only way to mirror your iPhone display and interact with your iPhone using an external touch screen is via CarPlay, which requires licensing from Apple. There is no way around this. However, there are several clones of AirPlay out there that will fool your iPhone into mirroring its display to an external display, but all interaction has to occur on the iPhone. I've learned to become very skeptical of anything Elon says. I wouldn't be surprised if Elon was intending to implement an AirPlay clone in a fast-track way to mirror the phone's display. That's really all Tesla can do without licensing an official Apple solution. Unfortunately "dumb" mirroring is a move would serve to further fragment, rather than integrate, the experience. If Tesla does it this way, it's proof positive in my mind that Tesla has no clue what its customers want.

...or doesn't care what its customers want. Or believes that they can find enough new buyers who are willing to settle on a wide range of things so that they have a cool electric car, with driver interface and NAV inferior to a chevy, for three times the price.

The only way to mirror your iPhone display and interact with your iPhone using an external touch screen is via CarPlay, which requires licensing from Apple. There is no way around this. However, there are several clones of AirPlay out there that will fool your iPhone into mirroring its display to an external display, but all interaction has to occur on the iPhone. I've learned to become very skeptical of anything Elon says. I wouldn't be surprised if Elon was intending to implement an AirPlay clone in a fast-track way to mirror the phone's display. That's really all Tesla can do without licensing an official Apple solution. Unfortunately "dumb" mirroring is a move would serve to further fragment, rather than integrate, the experience. If Tesla does it this way, it's proof positive in my mind that Tesla has no clue what its customers want.

Doesn't that mean there would be no interaction with the touch screen (mirrored image) then? Airplay is one-way, as is. Carplay seems like it would be better.

The only CarPlay implantation I have played with is on Alpine units, but in that case, you interact with the head unit touchscreen, not the phone. I am under the impression that that is the case for all implementations.

That's really all Tesla can do without licensing an official Apple solution. Unfortunately "dumb" mirroring is a move would serve to further fragment, rather than integrate, the experience. If Tesla does it this way, it's proof positive in my mind that Tesla has no clue what its customers want.
From what I know, license cost is not a huge burden. And Android Auto has no license fees (though its SDK is not publicly available).

Anyone found a solution to mirror an iphone on the main screen? All I could find online were apps that made it easy to transfer photos online and then view those photos quickly through a specific website on the screen. Would appreciate anyone's wisdom!