Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the ludicrous upgrade improve P85D performance by only 0.2 seconds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

electrish

I Sing the Body Electric
Nov 8, 2014
Ohio
When I received the email offering the P85D ludicrous upgrade, I requested additional information from Tesla, especially in comparison to the P90D.

Today, I received the following response:
"The Ludicrous Retrofit provides an estimated 10% increase in power over the P85D. It also provides a 0.2 second improvement on your vehicle’s current performance for both the 0-60 mph and the quarter mile time. The retrofit will not be an exact equivalent performance spec as a new P90D."

This would suggest that there is minimal improvement beyond 60 mph, since the 0.2 seconds all happen below 60 mph, at least according to this email.
Does this even make sense? Or am I missing something?

Yup, they recently added that little tidbit to the website. When I put my ludicrous mode deposit down I was under the impression that 0-60 time would match the P90DL....looks like that isn't the case. On top of that the deposit is apparently non-refundable :frown:

• Disagree
Reactions: Daddy S
Ouch!
I just checked the preorder page and you're right, they added that information.
As far as I know that information wasn't there when they first offered the upgrade.

I hope this is not another instance of "Tesla over-promising and under-delivering"!
In my opinion, the majority of owners interested in the upgrade were looking for increased performance in the 50-70+ range, not off the line.

I am just hoping that happy upgraders will prove this wrong!

Hmm, while that seems unexpected, I'm not sure that reflects on the real world performance of the vehicle. As in, the performance above 60 when you "punch it." Not sure people should be canceling based on 0-60 or 1/4 mile times....but perhaps I'm missing something.

Maybe they meant 0-60 will improve by .2 seconds. (From 3.1 to 2.9) and not the Q mile time... need clarification.

EDIT: It does say 1/4 mile only improves by .2 seconds. That can't be right.... perhaps a bad comms note. I will call tomorrow.

That means their saying the 1/4 mile will only be 11.6 since they speced it at 11.8. It means it will be significantly less power than a P90DL. I'm canceling my upgrade.

Last edited:
Woah. First it seemed like it was $5000 plus some marginal amount of labor to get practically the same level of performance as a P90DL. Now it's a full $7500 and all you get is 0.2 seconds in the range that practically no one who owns a P85D wants more of. We don't need stronger whiplash from a dead stop! We already have more than we could ever ask for. We want power in the passing range: 50-90mph!

I'm not going to ask for my $500 back yet, but will delay the actual install until I see what the real-world 1/4 mile results are before making up my mind.

Preparing to be disappointed...

Their main spec page still says 2.8 0-60 for the P85D with Ludicrous upgrade. It says 10.9 seconds with Ludicrous and Range upgrade. So their main spec page hasn't changed. They're still claiming 2.8 for the P85D+L.

This has to be a mistake. I agree, I do not need more 0-60 power.

Woah. First it seemed like it was $5000 plus some marginal amount of labor to get practically the same level of performance as a P90DL. Now it's a full $7500 and all you get is 0.2 seconds in the range that practically no one who owns a P85D wants more of. We don't need stronger whiplash from a dead stop! We already have more than we could ever ask for. We want power in the passing range: 50-90mph!

I'm not going to ask for my $500 back yet, but will delay the actual install until I see what the real-world 1/4 mile results are before making up my mind.

Preparing to be disappointed...

This has to be a mistake. I agree, I do not need more 0-60 power.

They're essentially saying that the P90DL is 0.9 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile but that the P85D+L is only 0.2 seconds of that. If that's the case, then definitely not worth the upgrade price. I feel like an idiot for defending Teslas pricing on this upgrade when others were saying it was too expensive :(

Really hope it's a typo.

They're essentially saying that the P90DL is 0.9 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile but that the P85D+L is only 0.2 seconds of that. If that's the case, then definitely not worth the upgrade price. I feel like an idiot for defending Teslas pricing on this upgrade when others were saying it was too expensive :(

Really hope it's a typo.

This is not good.
How can the deposit be nonrefundable when the upgrade specs change?

I've emailed Tesla as well for clarification. I'll wait to cancel my order until I get clarification. If's it's not really only 0.2 seconds in the 1/4 mile but only a 1 or 2 tenths off the P90DL spec, then I'll probably keep the order. Otherwise it won't be worth the price.

I've emailed Tesla as well for clarification. I'll wait to cancel my order until I get clarification. If's it's not really only 0.2 seconds in the 1/4 mile but only a 1 or 2 tenths off the P90DL spec, then I'll probably keep the order. Otherwise it won't be worth the price.

If this is truly the case, then it is not Luda at all. A P90DL would leave a P85DL by over two car lengths in the quarter.

it must be a mistake:

415 kW * 110% ~= 457 kW, or almost exactly what was logged on the P90D. I just agreed to pay $13k for that, so it's not so clear who got the better deal.

415 kW * 110% ~= 457 kW, or almost exactly what was logged on the P90D. I just agreed to pay $13k for that, so it's not so clear who got the better deal.

Right, the retrofit page is inconsistent. It says 10% more power yet promises less performance.

Perhaps both are true if you deliver 10% more horsepower but only for a very short period of time and restrict it especially at higher speeds. If we got 10% more from 50 MPH to 90 MPH but it was quite restricted at higher speeds, this would not be an issue for me as I don't drive those speeds. It would just be nice if they would clarify where and how the performance differs.