Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got rear-ended by a livery-plated vehicle, some questions for others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got rear ended by a livery-plated Infiniti today while moving near 0mph with the (forward-facing) dashcam video to prove it. Rear bumper will need to be removed to determine the full extent of the damage. I have two major questions: 1. I've been calling the other driver's commercial insurance company and it's been a little concerning that I've been unable to speak to the person who is supposed to be responsible for commercial claims (at two locations, a branch and their corporate office downtown Chicago). I don't think that I should be making the claim on my own insurance and have to pay the deductible since I am so clearly not at fault. Has anyone else dealt with kinda shady insurance companies? How did you resolve the matter? 2. Has anyone been successful with accelerated depreciation and loss of use claims after traffic collisions which are clearly not their fault?

I got rear ended by a livery-plated Infiniti today while moving near 0mph with the (forward-facing) dashcam video to prove it. Rear bumper will need to be removed to determine the full extent of the damage. I have two major questions: 1. I've been calling the other driver's commercial insurance company and it's been a little concerning that I've been unable to speak to the person who is supposed to be responsible for commercial claims (at two locations, a branch and their corporate office downtown Chicago). I don't think that I should be making the claim on my own insurance and have to pay the deductible since I am so clearly not at fault. Has anyone else dealt with kinda shady insurance companies? How did you resolve the matter? 2. Has anyone been successful with accelerated depreciation and loss of use claims after traffic collisions which are clearly not their fault?

Go through your insurance company. Your insurance company will deal with the other one. When they pay, you get your deductible back.

Agent here: The preferable thing to do is to leave your insurance out of it if at all possible. Believe me, it makes things much easier when trying to move your coverage in the future for you have a clean as a whistle driving record and claims history. Even if it winds up getting subrogated back to your insurance company and you get your deductible back, it could take weeks/months and it will still show up as a claim on your CLUE that will require a little more paperwork and explanation when it comes time to move your coverage.

However
having said all of that, if the other insurance company is dragging their feet then you can look into involving your insurance company to go ahead and get your car fixed now.

I was just involved in a low-speed accident a few months ago and I only dealt with the other insurance company. I was able to negotiate a diminished value amount equal (or actually greater than) the amount of damages that actually occurred. If you need help on the diminished value side, let me know and I'll send you a reference.

Good luck!

I was just hit and may need diminished value assistance as well...

The adjuster for the other party's at fault incident is telling me that PA doesn't have dimminished value claims. Only on "new" cars.

Is that true?

What about the fact that I have full tort and am pretty pissed off here...

Last edited: