Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your "Ideal" Model 3 Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your "Ideal" Model 3 Layout

Model3 Pricing

(Rough Estimates on Model3 & Needed Features)

Prices are based on literally cutting Model S with intended featureprices in half creating a rough estimate before insurance/ warrantyplan.

Base price (beforetax incentives): $35,000

Price Option #1

• Model 3-----------------------------------------------------$35,000
  • Battery Pack Mileage: 200 Miles-----------------------$0
  • Color: Red-------------------------------------------------$750
  • Interior: Black Interior Roofing-------------------------$750
  • Super Charger Enabled-----------------------------------$0
  • Delivery & Regulatory Doc Fee:------------------------$1,170

Total Price:----------------------------------------------------------$37,670

Price Option #2

• Color: Grey-------------------------------------------------$500

Total Price:----------------------------------------------------------$37,420

Price Option #3

• Color: Black------------------------------------------------$0

Total Price:----------------------------------------------------------$36,920

Price Option #4

• Battery Pack Mileage: 260 Miles-----------------------$5,000
  • Color: Red-------------------------------------------------$750

Total Price:----------------------------------------------------------$42,670

Price Option #5

• Color: Grey-------------------------------------------------$500

Total Price:----------------------------------------------------------$42,420

Price Option #6

• Color: Black-------------------------------------------------$0

Total Price:----------------------------------------------------------$41,920

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't sure how to directly edit this post, but essentially I wanted to do some VERY rough napkin math on what I may see myself looking at in-terms of cost before insurance and incentives. As much as I would love to buy a "fully loaded" Model 3, I know cost is very important to me, and so, (while obsessive), I went on the idea of the NEEDS more than the WANTS of what I would add to my ideal M3.

All-wheel-drive vs Rear-wheel-drive?
Panoramic wrap over windshield?
Coil springs or air suspension?
17" or 19" wheels?
Some sort of sport / performance option?

All-wheel-drive vs Rear-wheel-drive?
Panoramic wrap over windshield?
Coil springs or air suspension?
17" or 19" wheels?
Some sort of sport / performance option?

I'd expect a modest simple sunroof option to keep prices down, probably no huge all glass roof. At least not cheaply.

Everyone wants a smaller S at $35k pricing, but it's not an easy thing to make. Expect the $35k car to have $35k type options. Simple sunroof, RWD, 17" wheels. For a lot more money you will see the higher end options, but then people are just going to complain it's overpriced.

Model3 Pricing

(Rough Estimates on Model3 & Needed Features)

Prices are based on literally cutting Model S with intended featureprices in half creating a rough estimate before insurance/ warrantyplan.

Hey Model3Lover, no tech package/auto navigation? Or do you think it'll be included in the base price? To me that's what makes the Tesla stand out the most vs other EV's

Price Option #3
Model 3-----------------------------------------------------$35,000
· Battery Pack Mileage: 200 Miles-----------------------$0
Price Option #4
· Model 3-----------------------------------------------------$35,000
· Battery Pack Mileage: 260 Miles-----------------------$5,000

An assumption I don’t think is conservative enough.
200 miles in a 20% smaller Tesla would most likely be 250 watt hours per mile or 4 miles per kilowatt. (50kWh battery) Gigafactory will drop cost of Li batteries 30% additionally. batteriey costs dropping ~ 14 - 16%/yr Tesla already has very low estimated cost. When batteries are about $100/Kwh, then you would need to add $1,500 (not $5,000) to go from 200 miles to 260 miles. (15kWh) (probably in incremental battery size steps)
I would suggest http://tonyseba.com/portfolio-item/clean-disruption-of-energy-transportation/ has some intriguing talks

Hey Model3Lover, no tech package/auto navigation? Or do you think it'll be included in the base price? To me that's what makes the Tesla stand out the most vs other EV's

I think the navigation "option" went away when they came out with the "Supercharger trip planning thing". They cant "eliminate range anxiety" with the nav system if not everyone has the nav system.

Looking at the Model S design studio, you have:

1. 70kw -> 85kw option
2. 85kw -> 90kw option
3. Autopilot
4. RWD or AWD
5. Premium interior and lighting
6. Air suspension
7. Sound system upgrade
8. Subzero package
9. Rear facing seats

I will probably go for mostly base, with just a few of the major options. I'd prefer dual motor and the largest battery pack, and probably the tech package depending on what's included compared to base, but that's about it. It will be stretching my budget already, and coming off two old Toyotas means that even the base configuration will be a huge step up for me. I don't need a 'performance' model, premium interior, premium sound, bigger wheels, interior lighting upgrade, etc. And we don't need a cold weather package in Vegas. My wife may be interested in a sunroof, though.

I'm budgeting about $50,000. For that money I'm wanting:

- All wheel drive non-performance
- Largest battery pack with hopefully 250 "real world" miles range (300 EPA)
- Autopilot
- TACC
- LED headlights/all exterior lights
- Supercharger access (1MWh free per year)
- Flat folding second row....
- 17" touch screen + LCD instrument cluster (basically same as Model S/X)
- Tinted windows

That's about it for me. I'm coming from a Chevy Cruze and I'd honestly be happy with an electric Cruze that gets 250 real miles. I'm not a fancy person....but Model 3 will be my toy. My fiancee is totally onboard the EV lifestyle plan too (home solar + EVs). We may trade her car in for a used "compliance car" for cheap in a few years for short trips.

Although I started out thinking I'd be just fine with the least expensive dual motor offering, I'm beginning to realize that if a P version is indeed offered with similar performance at half of MS pricing then this will be the enthusiast's bargain of the century. 0-60 in the 3 second bracket for $55K?? I'll happily eat ramen for the next five years to pull that deal off. So my ideal config would be - using the MS offerings for guidance - as follows:
- PD with biggest battery offered
- Pano (or at least some kind of opening) roof
- Next gen sport seats
- Upgraded audio
- Dual charger
- Supercharging
- MSRP: $55K - $57K?

Last edited:
That's similar to my ideal Model ≡.

M≡ Trim

White or Metallic Silver, maybe Blue
Largest battery, maybe P (or second largest, if there's 3 choices)
Dual Motor
Autopilot
Pano roof
Textile Seats (Sorry, I just don't like the feel of leather, albeit I do like the luxury look of it)
Upgraded Audio
Supercharging access, if not already included
Carbon Fiber Interior Decor, if available

Textile Seats (Sorry, I just don't like the feel of leather, albeit I do like the luxury look of it

Funny you mention that. I currently have the leather Recaros from an S4 swapped into my A4 and although I love the look, I prefer the better grip of textile (not to mention the lack of fry/freeze effect depending on season). But it's hard to find a manufacturer these days that will offer a premium sport seat in a textile surface. I suppose it's a simple numbers game as most customers who are going to pony up the extra $2K - $4K for the serious seats are probably expecting leather, especially in a sedan. But I'd love it if they did decide to offer properly bolstered sport seats for the M3 in a nice textile material - and my bank account would too.

Definitely do not want Leather. I live in Palm springs = 120 outside = leather will literally burn your skin. I suppose with the 3 you could turn on the AC prior to your entering the car, but I just would rather have cloth and not deal with it.

I suspect that by the time the Model 3 is out, A/C cooled seats will be pretty standard, or at least a reasonably priced option (heated seats seem to be heading in that direction, at least in Canada). Heck, our family's Kia Soul EV has 'em... it's the only thing it has on Tesla at the moment! With pre-cooling of the car and the seats, I think burning leather seats will be a thing of the past (but I would still be happy to see premium textile seats as an option).

I suspect that by the time the Model 3 is out, A/C cooled seats will be pretty standard, or at least a reasonably priced option (heated seats seem to be heading in that direction, at least in Canada). Heck, our family's Kia Soul EV has 'em... it's the only thing it has on Tesla at the moment!

Really? I didn't even know such a thing existed. Kia, huh? Now I know I want it on the Model 3 -- we can't have a Tesla outdone by a Kia!