Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Folding Mirror Failure (or User Error)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

Noticed today that the passenger side mirror was folded in. Pressed the button on driver's side door and it closed the driver's side mirror (so now both closed). Pressed again - only drivers side unfolded. Manually opened the passenger one. Now it doesn't close - either via the button or upon locking.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Tim

Mine's been doing that since day 1. Very random. SC can't reproduce. If you get a fix, please post. Thought it might be my knee hitting the mirror controls, but no way.
It is sort of haunted - does it when it feels like it.
I also had a faulty sensor that would warn me that something was near the rear driver side. That was also haunted. Replaced the sensors and the poltergeists went away.

I brought my car in to fix excessive wind on drivers door. In fixing that the SC broke the drivers mirror motor. Got that fixed and then once every week or so the mirror did not unfold. Fortunately hit the button to close, and then hit again and both would open. Brought back again to fix, it has happen again one time in 3 weeks, and the wind noise is also still excessive.

My 2015 S85D had a wind noise in the right rear door. Now fixed.

I brought my car in to fix excessive wind on drivers door. In fixing that the SC broke the drivers mirror motor. Got that fixed and then once every week or so the mirror did not unfold. Fortunately hit the button to close, and then hit again and both would open. Brought back again to fix, it has happen again one time in 3 weeks, and the wind noise is also still excessive.

Indy Service Ctr had to take the door apart in order to reangle the glass so it met the rubber seal snuggly at all edges. That fixed things for me.

Sometimes one of my mirrors won't fold... I think partially because the paint protection and chrome delete are causing it to be pretty snug.

If only one mirror unfolds, I always just hit the button and they sync up again. Never had to manually/physically adjust it... does worry me each time though.

I have very rarely (maybe two times in five months of ownership?) had the driver's side mirror fail to unfold automatically. I probably hit the button to fold/unfold the mirrors to correct the situation. All the other N-2 times I've gotten in the car, it's worked perfectly. It's such a minor issue that I even forgot to bring it up when I had a service appointment to take care of a handful of other minor issues.

Mine's been doing that since day 1. Very random. SC can't reproduce. If you get a fix, please post. Thought it might be my knee hitting the mirror controls, but no way.
It is sort of haunted - does it when it feels like it.
I also had a faulty sensor that would warn me that something was near the rear driver side. That was also haunted. Replaced the sensors and the poltergeists went away.

Tell them to check for a shortage in the harness that goes down to the door control module. I had wacky things happen every time I would hand wash the car. I finally put two and two together, the SC took the door part and found water pooling in the harness connector and the terminals had signs of corrosion.

Tell them to check for a shortage in the harness that goes down to the door control module. I had wacky things happen every time I would hand wash the car. I finally put two and two together, the SC took the door part and found water pooling in the harness connector and the terminals had signs of corrosion.

Great advice. I tend to be this sort of person as well. I don't usually bring up an issue with my car until I have determined a predictable pattern. As an Engineer, a reproducible problem with a set pattern is significantly easier to diagnose/resolve that "it doesn't work right sometimes".

Note: This does not in any way defer an opinion on the Op. Some things are just that intermittent that one cannot figure it out and I do not mean to suggest that Op hasn't tried. I was speaking more generally above.

Tesla still seem to be having problems with passenger door mirrors. Mine had an intermittent fault after a month where the passenger side would sometimes not unfold fully. The Tesla ranger said it was a firmware issue but it felt loose when it had happened so I doubted that. He agreed to replace the mirror and it has been fine for nearly 3 months.

Now it seems to have happened again after an icy morning. It fails nearly every time now - I had to manually pull it out and turn off the auto fold to be able to drive the car. I've reported it to Tesla but no response as yet. They mentioned firmware again and they said it was always the passenger side.

When it has broken, the fold speed is half that of the driver's side. So either it's trying to protect from burning out a servo or a mechanical failure causes more resistance once it's gone so it slows down.

This is going to eat into profits if mirrors need replacing every few months as the whole door needs to be taken apart.