Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to close Tesla Model X Falcon Wing door: 5-6 secs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
A video for you folks to spread around when people are complaining about the time it takes for the doors to close. I read 10+ seconds.

Title: Time to close Tesla Model X Falcon Wing door: 5-6 secs
Link: youtu.be/JqNwJQ_2A4Q

Last edited by a moderator:
A video for you folks to spread around when people are complaining about the time it takes for the doors to close. I read 10+ seconds.

Title: Time to close Tesla Model X Falcon Wing door: 5-6 secs
Link: youtu.be/JqNwJQ_2A4Q
Plus you can drive away while they are closing.

I was surprised to find out by accident I can drive off in my Model S with the trunk hatch open. Normally in an ICE I can hear the exhaust but with the S I had no idea until I was already driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never owned a minivan so don't know how fast those auto-closing doors go, but this seems reasonable. Granted, it's still much longer than it would take to simply close a normal door by hand, but for the FWD, it's acceptable. Any faster than say 4 seconds would be dangerous IMO

It is apparently a function of possible obstacles. For instance, during the presentation when the Model X was parked between two other SUVs, the opening time was roughly 18 seconds. The closing time was about 15 seconds. Without obstacles, the opening was about 6 seconds, and the closing time was about 6.5 seconds. The minivan's door closed in about 5-6 seconds.

Things I noticed from this video:
1) VIN was 84 -- meaning there are at least 78 more production Model X videos beyond the five plus Elon's that were delivered 9/29. Of those, many are test/demo cars presumably, but surely some must be going out for delivery soon.
2) The car software doesn't have Flash 10.1 or above :)

Better video of it- Tesla Model X driving with falcon doors open at launch event - YouTube
As you can see in the video, the car detects the guy standing next to the left side and alters the closing sequence.

Better video of it- Tesla Model X driving with falcon doors open at launch event - YouTube
As you can see in the video, the car detects the guy standing next to the left side and alters the closing sequence.

It takes a while to close in that case, too, even though the guy isn't all that close. My guess is that best case full clearance it'll be 5-6 seconds. Most realistic cases it'll take longer, up to the 15-18 seconds in the "tight spaces" demo on stage. In my tight garage, I would expect in that latter range, which isn't trivial but not a solitary deal-killer.

That video from cnet is great. It shows the black and white in much better light. The white is growing on me again. In pictures it all blends together and looks bland, but in person and video, you can see some awesome design lines. I am also leaning towards losing the middle seat. The footroom is not there for an adult, and it allows long stuff to slide in if one back row seat is down. That would mean 5 adults, loads of stuff including skis inside the vehicle.

A regular door takes .19 seconds.

I would say closing a regular door takes about a second. The same for opening. So fwd doors takes about 5-6 times longer, if no obstacle is detected.

However, it`s not closing the door that I fear will annoy me (fear, but do not know!). It`s the slow opening. In regular cars i would be in the process of buckling seat belt before the FWD has opened.... The solution for me is the ability to remotely open the fwd from the key.

Last edited:
With respect to the opening speed when there are obstacles, it takes me quite a number of seconds to open and navigate out of a regular door when there is an obstacle nearby (unless I'm in a rental. ;)) and it is effort intensive.

With a Falcon Wind Door, I'd just press a button, let the car do the careful dirty work, gather my stuff while I wait, and then step out with my stuff in both hands if need be.

Regular doors, though, don't have to deal with obstructions (usually) when closing. On the other hand, closing usually happens as you walk away and so you aren't delayed, and if they are closing while you are getting ready to drive away, most of the time would be absorbed in getting seat belts fastened and checking the surroundings before moving off.