Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owning a Tesla in SE MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m considering a new position in Detroit and wanted to get perspectives on owning a Tesla in SE MI. I know the closest service center is in Cleveland; what has the experience been in getting annual service? What about more significant, real-time issues that result in vehicle shut down? Any other things to be aware/wary of?

I’ve lived in Ann Arbor, Bloomfield Hills, Troy and Houghton (bit of an outlier there) so very familiar with the area and I understand the pros and cons of living there. Most interested in the Tesla angle . . . though if anyone knows of a good sailboat club I’m all ears.

I've owned my Tesla for 4 month in Novi and have been able to go anywhere but north because of lack of superchargers up there. I needed service on a mirror motor when I first got the car and they came out and replaced it. I saw a previous post that for yearly service they charged $700 for the pickup and drop off of the car.

I think the only issue you will have is the yearly service.

I’m considering a new position in Detroit and wanted to get perspectives on owning a Tesla in SE MI. I know the closest service center is in Cleveland; what has the experience been in getting annual service? What about more significant, real-time issues that result in vehicle shut down? Any other things to be aware/wary of?

I’ve lived in Ann Arbor, Bloomfield Hills, Troy and Houghton (bit of an outlier there) so very familiar with the area and I understand the pros and cons of living there. Most interested in the Tesla angle . . . though if anyone knows of a good sailboat club I’m all ears.

We have three Model S' in the family since October 2012. Service has been great. I would not hesitate to buy a Tesla based on service in Michigan. Super Charging in Michigan is coming along: the Cadillac Super Charger will be live in a matter of weeks (hopefully days). Supercharger - Cadillac, MI (end of 2015) - Page 5

The tentative Super Charger plan for 2016 is:
Bay City / Saginaw
Port Huron
Lansing
Traverse City
Grayling
Ludington

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, all. I appreciate the comments. I had forgotten about the ranger service even though my 12V was changed in my driveway last year. I just worry about a contactor or drive train problem and having to deal with the long distance SC. Others do it all over the country so I expect it's not that big of a deal.

Driving out with my daughters for the Columbus Day weekend and it will be a pleasure not to do the I-70 detour which adds 2 hours to the trip. Here's hoping the border crossings are quick.