Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

@TeslaRoadTrip Event - Skyline Drive - Saturday October 17th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC Community!

Due to popular demand, the gang @TeslaRoadTrip are in the midst of planing a trip down Skyline Drive and the Shenandoah Valley. We're still working on the specifics, but we have picked Saturday, October 17th as the date. Since that is only a few short weeks away we wanted to send out this note to give everyone as much advanced notice as possible.

We're fairly confident we will begin the trip with breakfast at Denny's located at the Strasburg, VA Supercharger. From there we'll travel south on Skyline Drive. We're hoping to incorporate a variety of stops, with options including an orchard that will have live music and activities for kids, a vineyard, and possibly a stop in Luray and the Luray Caverns. It's likely we’ll have two course options so that people with kids, 60kWh batteries, or otherwise want a smaller time commitment can join in on the fun.

Skyline Drive and the Shenandoah valley are beautiful in October, with the leaves changing color and fall harvest activities - are sure to make this trip fun for families. More information will be sent out within the next few days.

We hope that you will consider joining us! Space for this event is limited to allow for sufficient charging, so please send an email to: [email protected] to let us know you’re coming and how many people you plan on bringing.

The @TeslaRoadTrip crew

Hey Aaron, a buddy of mine & I were hiking on a route near Skyline Drive today (yes - in the rain!). I told him about the Tesla event, and he said we should contact the Shenandoah National Park Service office to let them know about the event and see if they would waive the entrance fee ($20 per car if you don't already have a NPS pass). If you go to Contact Us - Shenandoah National Park (U.S. National Park Service) you can send them an email. My buddy said to ensure we highlight we are driving electric cars that have no emissions - a green driving tour.

artsci and I will be carpooling with our "pups." Thanks Aaron (&Co.) for setting this up! Looking forward to seeing everyone, enjoying the scenery, and watching the regen on the energy graph :)!
@jthompson - good idea, if the weather is nice, would be great to stop in the park and show the other tourists how awesome and fun eco-friendly can be.

Or if you have a fourth grader, you can get a free national park pass here: Every Kid in a Park | Main for 2016.
Mine is proud to be the benefactor for our SNP hikes.

- - - Updated - - -

It sound like fun but I see no way to get there from NE Tennessee as charging along I81 is slow and very infrequent.

@dhrivnak: Here's a destination charger BnB midway if want to make a weekend out of it: The Iris Inn: Bed and Breakfast in Shenandoah Valley Virginia
Roanoke has a ChaDeMo also for a stop.

This sounds fun! I will check my work schedule. Folks planning on spending the night near Strasburg the night before to get an early start? Strasburg is 150 minutes away for me.

jfe_md,

Going to be driving down from New York on Friday the 16th and staying in Winchester 16 miles away. Plan on topping off at the Strasburg Supercharger Friday evening before doubling back to the hotel. Will be at Denny's Saturday morning bright and early to range charge before others get there.

Aaron

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Aaron, a buddy of mine & I were hiking on a route near Skyline Drive today (yes - in the rain!). I told him about the Tesla event, and he said we should contact the Shenandoah National Park Service office to let them know about the event and see if they would waive the entrance fee ($20 per car if you don't already have a NPS pass). If you go to Contact Us - Shenandoah National Park (U.S. National Park Service) you can send them an email. My buddy said to ensure we highlight we are driving electric cars that have no emissions - a green driving tour.

Jim,

Thats FANTASTIC! I will email them now to also let them know we are coming - hopefully this will work out and everyone can save the $20 entrance fee!

PS - Email Sent!

Aaron

- - - Updated - - -

artsci and I will be carpooling with our "pups." Thanks Aaron (&Co.) for setting this up! Looking forward to seeing everyone, enjoying the scenery, and watching the regen on the energy graph :)!
@jthompson - good idea, if the weather is nice, would be great to stop in the park and show the other tourists how awesome and fun eco-friendly can be.

Cat,

Sounds GREAT! I will be bringing Denny (my Jack Russell Terrier) with me too!
I've added the event to the TeslaRoadTrip.org website. There is a downloadable map there with highlights of the drive as well as a link to the Skyline Drive website. Looks like there will be plenty of places to stop and we could possibly engage the public at one of the Visitor Centers.

Aaron

Last edited:
You guys are in for a treat on Saturday. It is looking pretty out here and will be even prettier on Skyline Drive. Sure wish I could be there, but not looking promising for me. Any news on itinerary?
IMG_6582.JPG

All -

Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow for the drive!

If any of you are still interested and want more details about the drive, email me via the link in the first post on this thread and I'll send you the information packet.

I'm leaving from the NYC area this morning and should be down to Strasburg Supercharger charging by 5-6pm this evening.

Aaron

All -

Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow for the drive!

If any of you are still interested and want more details about the drive, email me via the link in the first post on this thread and I'll send you the information packet.

I'm leaving from the NYC area this morning and should be down to Strasburg Supercharger charging by 5-6pm this evening.

Aaron

Aaron,
You guys have a great time, and we look forward to hearing the reports and seeing the pics. Thank you for your leadership!

Skyline drive, now with autopilot!

Well, at least autopilot on I-66. I think I'll enjoy the drive on skyline. Plus too many people around for autopilot.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone, plus all the significant others and kids. It's going to be a touch on the cool side, so I recommend multiple layers of clothing.

We still have room if anyone is on the fence. Come join us!

Andrew

Skyline drive, now with autopilot!

Well, at least autopilot on I-66. I think I'll enjoy the drive on skyline. Plus too many people around for autopilot.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone, plus all the significant others and kids. It's going to be a touch on the cool side, so I recommend multiple layers of clothing.

We still have room if anyone is on the fence. Come join us!

Andrew

I was on skyline drive last week and a lot of it is well marked lane wise. But at that slow speed the tesla will probably default to follow the car in front. I think it should work well.

Edit: just tried on some roads in Vienna that are like skyline drive. (Lawyers road). And you better keep both hands on the wheel [emoji16]

Last edited:
I was on skyline drive last week and a lot of it is well marked lane wise. But at that slow speed the tesla will probably default to follow the car in front. I think it should work well.

Edit: just tried on some roads in Vienna that are like skyline drive. (Lawyers road). And you better keep both hands on the wheel [emoji16]

It's really intended for highway driving. But let's go discuss that on one of the five autopilot threads :)

- - - Updated - - -

I was just reviewing the itinerary that we sent out, and I just now realized that we listed the departure times from Denny's (supercharger), but not the arrival times. This may not have been clear - we're thinking people will arrive an hour or so before the departure time to charge and optionally eat breakfast at Denny's.

Andrew

All -

Beautiful day for driving down to VA! The view from the Strasburg, VA Supercharger is quite beautiful.

I think we're in for a lovely drive tomorrow! Dress warmly - see you all tomorrow!

Aaron

IMG_7430.jpg
IMG_7429.jpg