Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unanswered questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the launch I still have a bunch of unanswered questions. I have spent en unhealthy amount of time online since the launch to gather info but I still come up short. Here are a couple of questions, which still remain open. I have a feeling the founders cars are not full spec and were delivered in order to meet the Q3 delivery promise.

• No electro chromatic windows? It really would be preferable to be able to block sunlight with toddlers in the back seat.
  • No video in rear view mirror? Given the poor visibility due to 7 seats the incorporation of a Gentex mirror would be a good choice.
  • No 360 aerial view when parking? The small “green cam” was not visible on top of the cars we saw at launch but it can be seen on the ski adaptor image at the end of the updated Model X page Model X | Tesla Motors
  • What is the height of the falcon wings when open?

Any answers on the above and/or do you have unanswered questions?

How far forward to the second row seats move? Do they move if there is something like a car seat or occupied car seat already in the seat?
Is there a retractable sun shade to fully block the panoramic windshield? (I think I read somewhere that there is)
Does the front door have door handles or is it just a touch plate? (appears to be the latter) Can you turn off automatic door opening? (I presume so)
If there is something on the roof, will the FWD try to just swing outward without lifting (if there isn't anything on that side of the car)?

Do we know definitively that there is not a new Autopilot sensor suite?

As of now, Tesla's press release for the X specifies the exact same hardware as the original Autopilot: A single forward camera, radar, and 360 ultrasonic sensors. There's no mention of additional cameras, rear or side radar, or hardware improvements. While there's a chance that sensors are improved versions, it doesn't seem likely. No additional features above the expected features on the Model S with 7.0 have been announced. The press is also reporting the Tesla told them Autopilot enhancements will roll out at the same time on the Model S.

There was some confusion that the door ultrasonic would be used to make Side Collision Prevention possible. However, that feature has been leaked in 7.0 Release Notes for the Model S, so it's more likely dedicated to the Falcon door.

As of now, nobody has seen or heard anything (camera, sensor, or otherwise) indicating new Autopilot hardware on the X. And it makes sense for Tesla to support a single sensor suite. After all, they're still working hard to deliver all the original Autopilot features. It has been almost a year since they were announced. Imagine if they had to develop for two different setups.

Does the 6 six config include a center console?

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=96069&d=1443602114

Seems like it in the picture above. I think that will make the configuration quite a bit more popular than the 7 seat one.
There was a center console on the one of the Xes that they were using for the ride events. I didn't ride in that one so did not see details but I saw it when the car drove by with the falcon wing doors wide open.

- - - Updated - - -

Did anyone confirm the existence or lack of a second charge port on the rear passenger side?

The center console between the front seats has two USB charge ports on its rear, accessible from the middle row seats. Is that what you're asking?

And can you open the falcons manually or is it only automatic?

And did they upgrade the Tegra in the console. I think thats an important one to do given the reports I've seen of lag in the S
Do you really think they would announce the specs of the CPU at the event?
You may have seen reports of lag in the S, but I've driven the S for more than two years and I don't know what you're talking about.

You may have seen reports of lag in the S, but I've driven the S for more than two years and I don't know what you're talking about.

I didnt say that I thought they should announce them at the event... This is an "unanswered questions" thread.

Despite your experiences many users have reported about lag on their screen, and the question of an upgraded processor there has been a common one... Which remains unanswered... hence its inclusion in this thread.

How far forward to the second row seats move? Do they move if there is something like a car seat or occupied car seat already in the seat?
Is there a retractable sun shade to fully block the panoramic windshield? (I think I read somewhere that there is)
Does the front door have door handles or is it just a touch plate? (appears to be the latter) Can you turn off automatic door opening? (I presume so)
If there is something on the roof, will the FWD try to just swing outward without lifting (if there isn't anything on that side of the car)?
About 10 inches.

Yes, watch the video of the part when JB Straubel get's his kids out of the child seats and then moves them for thr 3rd row kids to get out.

No. Only visors to block the sun when at low angles and in your eyes. There is however a graded tint then gets progressively darker the further up toward the top.

Just a touch plate.

No idea.

The UI is very laggy in the S. We were going to wait until the hardware was updated before buying but when the 70D came out it was perfect for us. Yes, the UI is slow, so slow that it can be annoying at times, but then you push the go pedal to the floor and you completely forget about the laggy map redraws, and the 1/2 done media app and the lousy web browser.

The UI is very laggy in the S. We were going to wait until the hardware was updated before buying but when the 70D came out it was perfect for us. Yes, the UI is slow, so slow that it can be annoying at times, but then you push the go pedal to the floor and you completely forget about the laggy map redraws, and the 1/2 done media app and the lousy web browser.

Having a VIN in the 3000's, I have one of the oldest on-board system configurations. There was lag after one release, and then it went away a couple releases ago. The only lag I experience is the 3G network. There is a difference between user interface responsiveness and network responsiveness. I suggest talking with your service center about the 4G LTE upgrade. I hope that fixes things for you. If not, take heart: you have no lag between the pedal and the wheels, like on an ICE!