Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those of you buying sigs a "plus" model might be coming later...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is from Motortrend:
2016 Tesla Model X: 15 Things to Know About the EV CUV

We drove a development car, a Model X P90D wearing massively staggered 21-inch Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Up front were 285/35-21s, in rear were enormous 325/30-21s. The suspension was very firm, riding like a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S (but possibly stiffer). Cornering was as ludicrous as acceleration, with the touch of understeer you’d expect from that staggered setup. Tesla says this setup is still undergoing testing. We say “watch out, Porsche."

Having the option is always nice. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Motor Trend tried more than once to get a good lap time out of the Model S only to have the battery overheat?

Personally I would opt for a square 20" setup for a more comfortable and neutral handling.

What specifically seemed not ready?

Well, in the context of this thread, the plus on the S came about after the P85 came out because IIRC, they were still tweaking the suspension and handling. Seems that's going on with the X as well, but with a 2 year delay, one might've expected that to be done already.

But, if you mean in general: a lot. It's clear (to me) that the design studio was rushed out, and new options trickling in (after folks confirmed) supports this. Additionally, the 6 seat option seems to have been fairly last-minute, and from all reports, they're still even working with that. Staying on subject of the seats, it would appear they had an issue with their seat supplier which may be the reason the folding option is not yet available.

They've had 3 years and are still "working on" roof rack options.

I guess all I'm saying is for all the folks who were saying they're OK with the 2 year delay because it gave Tesla time to "get it right", it doesn't seem they're 100% at that point yet.

I think that development car must be Elon's model X. His matte black 21" rims had 285/35/21" tires on them, I just assumed the 285 was the rear tire, not the front :eek:. There was a photo taken by Noah below of the 21" rim/tire.

Was able to get some relatively close shots at tonight's event. Shared in Google Photos. Didn't stay around for the test ride (all drivers were Tesla employees) since the wait was super long.

Photos by Noah Eisner - Google Photos

"Tesla took their time to deliver the X when it was ready".

Nothing about this launch screams ready to me (just the opposite).

The 'delay' and difficulty stems from making the car safe. Adding window dressing is easy, but structural safety is hard. And MS was well received with a high safety rating...

At least they are not changing the charging cable or hiding the battery, aka upcoming apple car-- just sayin...

"Tesla took their time to deliver the X when it was ready".

Nothing about this launch screams ready to me (just the opposite).

agreed. everything still seems 'beta' and not final production yet. the X just isnt ready. its pushed out the door too soon. i feel bad to people getting their car over the next few months. they'll basically be getting prototypes. they'll be spending the next 3 months working non-stop on things like chairs, doors, consoles, autopilot, suspension and wheel setup, etc.

Well, in the context of this thread, the plus on the S came about after the P85 came out because IIRC, they were still tweaking the suspension and handling. Seems that's going on with the X as well, but with a 2 year delay, one might've expected that to be done already.

But, if you mean in general: a lot. It's clear (to me) that the design studio was rushed out, and new options trickling in (after folks confirmed) supports this. Additionally, the 6 seat option seems to have been fairly last-minute, and from all reports, they're still even working with that. Staying on subject of the seats, it would appear they had an issue with their seat supplier which may be the reason the folding option is not yet available.

They've had 3 years and are still "working on" roof rack options.

I guess all I'm saying is for all the folks who were saying they're OK with the 2 year delay because it gave Tesla time to "get it right", it doesn't seem they're 100% at that point yet.
I don't think the guy said that while comparing the suspension with normal X. I think he was talking in absolute terms that the suspension of X is stiff.
Elon has already said that most of the time (3 years) was spend tackling the problems that Model S faced. They didn't have resources to give X to development. Therefore they utilized all time they can afford (due to announced deadlines).
I disagree with your theory that folding was removed due to issue with suppliers. My guess is Tesla thinks there are more important things that folding. The seats are for sitting and they made seats that extremely good looking, comfortable (guess) and allow easy 3rd row access. It all about priorities. Its an family SUV so they prioritized that instead of hauling cargo.
They have delivered 6 cars today, they are at there 100 %. Definitely the ramp up might be slow.

- - - Updated - - -

agreed. everything still seems 'beta' and not final production yet. the X just isnt ready. its pushed out the door too soon. i feel bad to people getting their car over the next few months. they'll basically be getting prototypes. they'll be spending the next 3 months working non-stop on things like chairs, doors, consoles, autopilot, suspension and wheel setup, etc.
Prototypes? Are you implying that the cars of earlier owners will be different than that of later ones? Please share the base for this theory (if you may like).

I don't think the guy said that while comparing the suspension with normal X. I think he was talking in absolute terms that the suspension of X is stiff.
Elon has already said that most of the time (3 years) was spend tackling the problems that Model S faced. They didn't have resources to give X to development. Therefore they utilized all time they can afford (due to announced deadlines).
I disagree with your theory that folding was removed due to issue with suppliers. My guess is Tesla thinks there are more important things that folding. The seats are for sitting and they made seats that extremely good looking, comfortable (guess) and allow easy 3rd row access. It all about priorities. Its an family SUV so they prioritized that instead of hauling cargo.
They have delivered 6 cars today, they are at there 100 %. Definitely the ramp up might be slow.

I agree, I think Elon was super focused on making the best seats possible (after the Model-S seat fiasco) that he totally failed to recognize how important folding seats are to the targeted audience. The irony is that really comfortable seats are more important than utility in a sedan and that utility is more important than comfortable seats in an SUV. Tesla seems to have this reversed.

I agree, I think Elon was super focused on making the best seats possible (after the Model-S seat fiasco) that he totally failed to recognize how important folding seats are to the targeted audience. The irony is that really comfortable seats are more important than utility in a sedan and that utility is more important than comfortable seats in an SUV. Tesla seems to have this reversed.

If, by target audience, you mean "the vocal detractors on TMC." Or perhaps you have some other market research to validate this assertion?

I would make a similarly baseless assertion that Tesla has done research and understands that a relatively low percentage of users really care about folding second-row seats, so they made a differentiator.

If, by target audience, you mean "the vocal detractors on TMC." Or perhaps you have some other market research to validate this assertion?

I would make a similarly baseless assertion that Tesla has done research and understands that a relatively low percentage of users really care about folding second-row seats, so they made a differentiator.

Yes, I'm primarily referring to the many people (on both TMC and TM forums) that would have liked a larger cargo area. Full disclosure, I would like folding seats too. I could try to count all the posts in the fold-gate threads and compare it to the overall number of posts during that same time period to come up with some kind of metric of how "hot" this topic has been. But it's not that important to me.

But it's interesting how polarizing this topic has become. There appear to be 2 sides: (a) I want folding seats and (b) are you nuts, Tesla doesn't make mistakes. I don't recall anyone ever posting that they would prefer to have non-folding seats or anyone that had a folding-seat phobia. These are a very strange opponents.

One could make the argument that if there is some demand (even it's only 10% of current reservation holders) for folding seats, then having that option could lead to increased Model-X sales. Do you think having a folding-seat option would reduce Model-X sales in any way?