Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner of Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got 90D last Friday. Ordered on Aug 5, confirmed on Aug 12th. Toronto SC told me I could pick it up on Sept 21 but I preferred a weekend delivery which is 25th. Delivery was smooth. It is a white baby, 90D. I put about 200KM on the odo since delivery and it's been flawless (except the fact that I don't know UMC will draw only 32A from NEMA 14-50 as per the service center and required by new Canadian Electric code).
I have yet to test out Autopilot and go on a road trip. Commuting downtown from Richmond Hill and back every business day yielded 185WH/KM during current mild weather (Had it not been for the bad traffic yesterday, I would have recorded somewhere around 175wh/km now. Actually, due to the declivity from Richmond hill to Downtown, I enjoyed less than 150wh/km from home to office even on the stop & go traffic on DVP). I do have 110V charging at work so will save me a couple of dimes.

The acceleration is quick enough for me and my family does not enjoy neck breaking feeling.

I will give it a test shortly after by going to Kingston sometime in Oct.

Tesla owners in York Region, ping me if you guys are hanging out....

Just got 90D last Friday. Ordered on Aug 5, confirmed on Aug 12th. Toronto SC told me I could pick it up on Sept 21 but I preferred a weekend delivery which is 25th. Delivery was smooth. It is a white baby, 90D. I put about 200KM on the odo since delivery and it's been flawless (except the fact that I don't know UMC will draw only 32A from NEMA 14-50 as per the service center and required by new Canadian Electric code).
I have yet to test out Autopilot and go on a road trip. Commuting downtown from Richmond Hill and back every business day yielded 185WH/KM during current mild weather (Had it not been for the bad traffic yesterday, I would have recorded somewhere around 175wh/km now. Actually, due to the declivity from Richmond hill to Downtown, I enjoyed less than 150wh/km from home to office even on the stop & go traffic on DVP). I do have 110V charging at work so will save me a couple of dimes.

The acceleration is quick enough for me and my family does not enjoy neck breaking feeling.

I will give it a test shortly after by going to Kingston sometime in Oct.

Can someone explain the new 32 amp restriction?

Can someone explain the new 32 amp restriction?

I installed a NEMA 14-50 in my garage, wiring 6AWG and on a 60AMP breaker. The car only draw 32A. I can't dial it up to 40AMP as I originally thought it would be. 32AMP is maximum number showed on the panel. Everything is good (voltage at 240V @ 32A, which drops from 242V when @ 0A). So I called Tesla Service Center. A technician told me a recent electric code change limits the AMPs a car can draw from the socket to 32AMP. So new deliveries in Canada will have new UMCs programmed to only 32AMP. Old ones, which are able to charge at 40AMP, will be swapped out later on. Anyway, 32AMP is enough for me, so I don't complain. Also it is not Tesla's fault, if you want to blame, blame the regulation agencies.

I installed a NEMA 14-50 in my garage, wiring 6AWG and on a 60AMP breaker. The car only draw 32A. I can't dial it up to 40AMP as I originally thought it would be. 32AMP is maximum number showed on the panel. Everything is good (voltage at 240V @ 32A, which drops from 242V when @ 0A). So I called Tesla Service Center. A technician told me a recent electric code change limits the AMPs a car can draw from the socket to 32AMP. So new deliveries in Canada will have new UMCs programmed to only 32AMP. Old ones, which are able to charge at 40AMP, will be swapped out later on. Anyway, 32AMP is enough for me, so I don't complain. Also it is not Tesla's fault, if you want to blame, blame the regulation agencies.
I wonder if that's because many 14-50 outlets are wired to 40 amp circuits in practice. AFAIK, it's rare to find stove outlets in kitchens wired with 50 amp breakers. 40 is standard.

I also received my 90D couple weeks back; loving it of course. If you can, I strongly recommend getting an HPWC installed at your house, which will draw 40 amps, or greater depending on connection and if you installed dual chargers.
I know in Quebec, there's an incentive program for paying half the costs of hardware and installation. I would think Ontario has something similar.
Welcome to the family
Ron

I don't know UMC will draw only 32A from NEMA 14-50 as per the service center and required by new Canadian Electric code

I outlined this to the Toronto SC three months ago, and outlined all of the places on the Tesla Canada sub-site where 40A is listed instead of 32A.
They fixed some of them, and it was like wack-a-mole, as soon as the US site is updated, it seemed to overwrite the 32A references with 40A once again...

That would be me and some others here. Welcome! We did an event last month and most recently on Monday evening. Bookmark the Canada forum and you'll see the southern ontario owners meetings posted.

- - - Updated - - -

called Tesla Service Center. A technician told me a recent electric code change limits the AMPs a car can draw from the socket to 32AMP. So new deliveries in Canada will have new UMCs programmed to only 32AMP. Old ones, which are able to charge at 40AMP, will be swapped out later on

Actually, it's not the UMC, it's the adaptor plug that you connect to the UMC which reduces to 32A. It is possible to purchase an adaptor from the US which would allow 40A, and considering hundreds of owners in Canada are still using the 40A adaptors, pretty sure this is ok. Like you said, not a big issue, but the solution is easy if you ever happen to be travelling in the US, just drop by a Tesla center.

I outlined this to the Toronto SC three months ago, and outlined all of the places on the Tesla Canada sub-site where 40A is listed instead of 32A.
They fixed some of them, and it was like wack-a-mole, as soon as the US site is updated, it seemed to overwrite the 32A references with 40A once again...

That would be me and some others here. Welcome! We did an event last month and most recently on Monday evening. Bookmark the Canada forum and you'll see the southern ontario owners meetings posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, it's not the UMC, it's the adaptor plug that you connect to the UMC which reduces to 32A. It is possible to purchase an adaptor from the US which would allow 40A, and considering hundreds of owners in Canada are still using the 40A adaptors, pretty sure this is ok. Like you said, not a big issue, but the solution is easy if you ever happen to be travelling in the US, just drop by a Tesla center.

Good call.

Not sure if this is related, but a couple weeks ago I inquired about buying a 2nd UMC for the car so I can just leave the one at home instead of installing a HPWC. The Service Manager said that they weren't allowed to sell any more UMCs at the moment as there was going to be a new UMC version with a lower amperage as per Canadian regulations. I wonder if new UMCs (or adapters) are meeting this new code now. Maybe I can also go buy a new UMC too. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks you for the clarification.

Just wondering there is a bunch of EV home chargers featuring J1772 on Amazon. Some of them are priced less than a UMC and with higher rated current. I am wondering whether we can simply order those chargers instead. Some of them do directly provide a 14-50 plug plus wiring into the item is not that difficult

Thanks you for the clarification.

Just wondering there is a bunch of EV home chargers featuring J1772 on Amazon. Some of them are priced less than a UMC and with higher rated current. I am wondering whether we can simply order those chargers instead. Some of them do directly provide a 14-50 plug plus wiring into the item is not that difficult

Then you would have to use the J1772 adapter all the time, which is kind of clumsy. Also, you won't have a button on your cord/wand to open your charge port, which is handy. I'd just use the UMC that comes with the car at 32 amps. I use mine everyday at 35 amps and there is more than enough time to charge while sleeping, probably double the time you need.

Just wondering there is a bunch of EV home chargers featuring J1772 on Amazon. Some of them are priced less than a UMC and with higher rated current.

Really? Can you provide a link to one? From what I've seen the cost of 40A J1772 EVSEs is the same or more than a UMC. Are you taking into consideration the US$ conversion?

As for using a standard J1772 EVSE - of course you can. It's not a big deal. But then, I'm used to hitting "Open charge port" on the display, getting the adapter out, etc etc. I had a 2011 LEAF, so I've had a J1772 charger for a long time.

Really? Can you provide a link to one? From what I've seen the cost of 40A J1772 EVSEs is the same or more than a UMC. Are you taking into consideration the US$ conversion?

As for using a standard J1772 EVSE - of course you can. It's not a big deal. But then, I'm used to hitting "Open charge port" on the display, getting the adapter out, etc etc. I had a 2011 LEAF, so I've had a J1772 charger for a long time.

I saw a USD 379 one on Amazon yesterday. My company blocks Amazon.com, I will check back at home.

Well, now you can simply tap on the charging port door to pop it open.

I saw a USD 379 one on Amazon yesterday. My company blocks Amazon.com, I will check back at home.

Well, now you can simply tap on the charging port door to pop it open.

The Clipper Creek LCS-20 is $379 US on Amazon. That's a 16 amp unit! Not 40. The least expensive 40A output unit I see is the Leviton one for $755 US. There are some less expensive 30A ones - least expensive I see is $549 on sale for $470 Siemens indoor-only hard wired 30A.

You can save a bit of money with a 30A one, I suppose.

New Tesla MS owner here too. I just picked up my 90D on Sept 25th in Vancouver and I have the HPWC at home and it charges at 40A and I get up to 47km/hr charge rate. I havent' tried using the UMC sitting in my trunk yet...I'll take a peak and try it out to see if my version is the 32 or 40A version when I plug it into a dryer outlet. Already put 1200km on it in one week and got 50% Llumar tint on pano and windows. First trip to the SC in Burlington WA was fun as I watched how quickly the juice was charging up the batteries. Already put in a reservation for MX too at reservation number 1421 for Canada. Have to see MX in person before deciding to get a MX or another MS for the family.

You're saying using the adapter is a big deal? Seriously?

Absolutely yes. It's better now that you can open the charge port from the fob, but it definitely takes a lot longer:

1. Open charge port with fob (used to have to climb back into the car first because you forgot to do it from the touch screen)
2. Open trunk
3. Fish out the J1772 adapter
4. Close trunk
5. Put J1772 adapter into car
6. Retrieve J1772 paddle from charging station
7. Insert J1772 paddle into car

With Tesla cable:

1. Pick up Tesla connector, push button while moving towards car, insert

Yeah that's kinda three steps but you can do them in one motion, takes 2 seconds. It takes about 30 seconds to plug in the J1772. Also I will point out that you have to do all of those steps in reverse when you unplug. Little things count when you have to do it every day!

Absolutely yes. It's better now that you can open the charge port from the fob, but it definitely takes a lot longer:

1. Open charge port with fob (used to have to climb back into the car first because you forgot to do it from the touch screen)
2. Open trunk
3. Fish out the J1772 adapter
4. Close trunk
5. Put J1772 adapter into car
6. Retrieve J1772 paddle from charging station
7. Insert J1772 paddle into car

With Tesla cable:

1. Pick up Tesla connector, push button while moving towards car, insert

Yeah that's kinda three steps but you can do them in one motion, takes 2 seconds. It takes about 30 seconds to plug in the J1772. Also I will point out that you have to do all of those steps in reverse when you unplug. Little things count when you have to do it every day!

Well, as someone who does this every day, I can tell you that's pretty extreme It does not take 30 seconds. I park. I open the door from the touch screen, grab the adapter from the cupholder on my way out the door, take the plug, plug it into the port with the adapter... it's really not much extra time. Maybe an extra second or two to get the adapter to line up.

To each his own. I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.