Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMC website overload

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the lead up, and subsequently delayed, Model X reveal last night, TMC was repeatedly overloaded. The most crowded threads had as many as 4-5 times the number of guests as the numbers of members present. It was pretty annoying (and several others echoed this sentiment) that those of us who have at least taken the time to register with the site were unable to communicate with each other during this, let's say, mildly stressful time - is the TM stream malfunctioning? Is my system malfunctioning? Who should I follow on periscope? etc, etc.

Would it not be prudent to consider locking threads to members only once the number of guests reaches critical mass?

Agree, lurking in general & not commenting is fine but on especially high traffic days/events it is not unreasonable to limit use to registered members.

Heck, y'all could be charging for all of this great information instead of relying on donations and volunteer moderators.
I know that I am much more confident & comfortable in my decisions & purchase because of the lurking (at first) then participation in these threads. <3

Being a technical admin on a few other forums (the guy who works the guts to keep it running)... forum operators really have to aim to handle their normal traffic very well... and swells pretty well.

Last night, judging from the numbers I saw intermittently... this was a FLOOD.. If the forum hardware / bandwidth were sized for the flood, it could become cost prohibitive to operate. I think it's a good compromise where it is.. They're also using CloudFlare to cache and absorb much of the actual traffic.. so they've done the right things to stay up most of the time.

Re: Locking out guests... The forum is really here in the spirit of sharing knowledge and helping those who want more details to make their decisions. I don't think it's prudent to lock out those seeking knowledge on a night that generates so much interest...

Just my $0.02...
LK

Thanks for the feedback. We've had this issue in mind for a while and are working on ways to better handle such events. The difference between steady state and peak is huge. There are intelligent ways to deal with such things, but that as always, it needs to be balanced with cost.

Last night from my phone (risky, I know), within 5 minutes I actually shut down the server and relaunched with a monster. That helped a lot, but then there were other limiting factors.

Anyhow, we'll try to do better.

Err... the Model X is already a sub forum.
poor choice of terms. What I was going for was how the foreign or regional forums are not part of the "what's new" search the X related forum could not be part of a search for new posts.
maybe the X related forums be segregated to a dedicated sub forum for those who are interested in discussing X related topics

Do you know about the Subscribed Forums feature? If you subscribe the forums you like, you get a "Subscribed Forums" tab at the top which is like "what's new" but only from the forums in which you're interested.

It's set up for you to add what you like, rather than ignore what you don't.

For example, you could add Model S and Florida if you wanted. If you want the Model S sub-forums (like "Model S: Driving Dynamics") you add those separately.

Thanks for the feedback. We've had this issue in mind for a while and are working on ways to better handle such events. The difference between steady state and peak is huge. There are intelligent ways to deal with such things, but that as always, it needs to be balanced with cost.

Last night from my phone (risky, I know), within 5 minutes I actually shut down the server and relaunched with a monster. That helped a lot, but then there were other limiting factors.

Anyhow, we'll try to do better.
That's amazing!
Thanks for the great job on the forum.
It's probably impossible to meet all demand all the time and users should expect to use something like Twitter to communicate during peak events.

Do you know about the Subscribed Forums feature? If you subscribe the forums you like, you get a "Subscribed Forums" tab at the top which is like "what's new" but only from the forums in which you're interested.

It's set up for you to add what you like, rather than ignore what you don't.

For example, you could add Model S and Florida if you wanted. If you want the Model S sub-forums (like "Model S: Driving Dynamics") you add those separately.
thanks for the advice, I was thinking more in terms of lessening the load on the entire site by splitting into separate forums.

thanks for the advice, I was thinking more in terms of lessening the load on the entire site by splitting into separate forums.
Oh, yeah that's not really the way to do it.

That's amazing!
Thanks for the great job on the forum.
It's probably impossible to meet all demand all the time and users should expect to use something like Twitter to communicate during peak events.
Thanks. I think we can configure things to be able to automatically scale for the occasional very high load. It just requires some more work.

Oh, yeah that's not really the way to do it.

Thanks. I think we can configure things to be able to automatically scale for the occasional very high load. It just requires some more work.

Only 6 months until the next heavy load (Model 3 reveal). :)

FWIW, I didn't really notice much slowness last night, but you might have bumped up the resources by then. Good job!