Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Sound System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Blurry_Eyed

MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761
Dec 29, 2011
I was at the Model X delivery event and took a test ride in the car. The driver was careful to point out Tesla has put a lot of effort into the audio system based on feedback from Model S owners. I sat in the 2nd row and was very impressed with the audio system during the brief ride. The volume level was fairly low, but my quick impression was the system had nice clarity, solid bass and a nice soundstage, even from my 2nd row driver side seat position. It will be interesting to see how the system sounds once I can audition it more closely, use material I'm familiar with and move around to different seating positions.

But if my first impressions hold up, the Model X sound system should be a nice upgrade from the Ultra High Fidelity system offered in the Model S.

Found more info on the sound system: they really made it themselves! (!!!)

"Perhaps the biggest surprise, though, is the booming 17-speaker, 560-watt audio system -- an unbranded setup that Tesla designed itself with an in-house team of audio engineers. It doesn’t have a prestigious brand like Burmester, Bowers & Wilkins or Bang & Olufsen, but it pumps out tremendous amounts of bass without overwhelming the music."
All your Tesla Model X questions, finally answered

"Perhaps the biggest surprise, though, is the booming 17-speaker, 560-watt audio system -- an unbranded setup that Tesla designed itself with an in-house team of audio engineers. It doesn’t have a prestigious brand like Burmester, Bowers & Wilkins or Bang & Olufsen, but it pumps out tremendous amounts of bass without overwhelming the music."

they "made" the S system themselves too....

:smile::biggrin::love:

On our ride, the Tesla rep also called out the audio and cranked it up a bit. Sitting in the 2nd row, also thought it sounded good at least for the short ride and the material they were playing (something light-jazzy). I noticed nice clean mid-range, solid imaging, good tonal balance.

Who usually puts in after marker sound systems and has tried this system and thought I don't need to with this.
Usually I find even top of the range supplied is not great.
I put in the top end Reus Audio aftermarket system in my Model S and my very first thought when I heard the Model X system was, I probably won't need to upgrade the audio system in the X. But I was in the car for only about 3 minutes and I'll reserve my full judgement once I get a chance to really put the system through it's paces.

I put in the top end Reus Audio aftermarket system in my Model S and my very first thought when I heard the Model X system was, I probably won't need to upgrade the audio system in the X. But I was in the car for only about 3 minutes and I'll reserve my full judgement once I get a chance to really put the system through it's paces.
I felt exactly the same, what I heard sounded quite good. As you say, will plug in my thumb drive and compare at some point.

LOL...might as well have thrown Bose in there...

There was another thread on the forums somewhere that said (and confirmed later in the thread) that there are no speakers in the third row with the base sound system. I reached out to my sales guy to see what we heard on our test drive and haven't heard back yet, but I'm assuming that most of the cars have the best installed. Our DS went to lengths to reassure us that the sound is still "good" in the third row without them.

I have the base coming (can't change my order anymore even if I wanted) so I'll follow up if it's ever finished...