Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So what happens when multiple X's park next to each other?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
x.png

ok so from the presentation it assumed that it's easy to open the model X doors when parked next to a minivan or other SUV. But what about when you have multiple model X's parked next to each other, say like at a SUPERCHARGER?

They should avoid opening their doors simultaneously. Just like ordinary doors. Don't over complicate things.
It's not overcomplicating things. I think it's telling that in the demo they didn't park the Model X next to other Model X's. In the real world, people will very frequently be forced to park their model x next to other model x's multiple times a day.

It's not overcomplicating things. I think it's telling that in the demo they didn't park the Model X next to other Model X's. In the real world, people will very frequently be forced to park their model x next to other model x's multiple times a day.

With all due respect, I do think this is a non-issue: As with every other car, you don't open all car doors simultaneously. The point of parking next to a regular car was to highlight that falcon doors - while the need to go somewhere when they are opened - actually go to a place where they don't "ding" the other car and also are not a hindrance to entering / exiting the Model X.

With all due respect, I do think this is a non-issue: As with every other car, you don't open all car doors simultaneously. The point of parking next to a regular car was to highlight that falcon doors - while the need to go somewhere when they are opened - actually go to a place where they don't "ding" the other car and also are not a hindrance to entering / exiting the Model X.

Agreed. And when you park next to another X then you simply wait until he/she is done unloading from the back just as you would in a normal configured car......

It will be better than with a normal door because they both have sensors and won't open if there's a probability of collision. How many times you've accidentally "touched" another vehicle parked at your side? A lot in my case.

Even cooler, as the doors can adapt until it gets inches away from the ceiling, as seen in the parking video during the launch, you will be able to open one of the doors and the one from the other X will "half-open" enough so both can allow for easy access.

Falcon wing doors?? The best thing of the presentation.

I bet the X's have been programmed to 'high five' each other if they are parked near each other.

(But seriously: When you're parked next to someone else, you take turns to open your doors. Thats how its been forever)

Good point. What happens if you want to open doors on two Camry parked side by side? You just don't do it. Some people are worrying too much. That said the second X that opens the FWD will open part ways just before hitting the first one's door. It's still doable if you really want to.

I love the Falcon wing doors! However, the tiny amount of clearance seems silly for two reasons:

1) The front doors are still conventional. As many have pointed out, who cares if you can load up your family in the back, if you can't get in the front.

2) Other cars are still conventional! Who on earth is going to park their $140,000 beautiful SUV inches from other SUV's? I never see tight parking spots in my Model S and think "Man, I wish I could squeeze in there but then I couldn't comfortably open my doors". No. If you are parking in between two cars so close that your mirrors are almost touching, then who cares if your doors hit another car, THEIR doors are going to hit you.

the doors are definitely cool, but I think the only practicality is that there is more room to maneuver inside. Being able to fit in the tiniest of parking spots is an overblown advantage imo.

ok so from the presentation it assumed that it's easy to open the model X doors when parked next to a minivan or other SUV. But what about when you have multiple model X's parked next to each other, say like at a SUPERCHARGER?

In normal circumstances the two Model Xs will simply sniff each other out and try to determine if there is a mutual "interest". When combining this ritual with the added electricity from "plugging in" at a SuperCharger I think that the net result would be little Model 3s in about 9 months.
icon12.gif

So what happens when multiple X's park next to each other?

Tesla nod?
Party?
World domination realized?
Conceding that you're not the only cool person in the world?
(My personal favorite because it's happened way more times than I care to admit) - You try and get in the wrong vehicle and wonder why your key doesn't work, then you realize there are no fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror and think (first) that someone has stolen your fuzzy dice - the bastards! - and then you realize, 'huh, not my car', and try in the most nonchalant manner to turn around and get in your car via the passenger side.

I love the Falcon wing doors! However, the tiny amount of clearance seems silly for two reasons:

1) The front doors are still conventional. As many have pointed out, who cares if you can load up your family in the back, if you can't get in the front.

You missed the point of the demo. No one asks you to deliberately to park very close to another car. All it says is FWD will not be a problem even if you try to do some unimaginable parking acts. Of course there are still scenarios that this will be useful like when you park close to a car to the right or to the garage wall.

The two real problem I see with cars but by no means is it a big deal. The falcon doors and automatic doors just slow down the process of getting in the car. Right now you pull the handle and you're in the car. With these automatic doors they open and close pretty slowly.

Also, since almost all the superchargers are spots you back into how will you charge when you have something attached to the trailer hitch. Even the bike rack would be a problem.