Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive impressions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No test drives happened. Only test rides. At least last night. If you had a guest pass in the first 800 (I was in the 1800's) or were willing to stay up until one. I wasn't so I missed out. Damnit! Oh well. ;-)
Test RIDE impressions:
  • 3rd row seat was snug but comfortable enough for a 6' 220-pounder. It feels "enveloping," like being in a Dragon capsule (because you know, everyone knows what it's like to ride around in a Dragon capsule). Enough space not to feel too cramped, but not so much that you feel like you're driving around in an Escalade. As one of the people sitting next to me said, "It's like they sat 7 people in the car and then built a bubble around them,"
  • The front picture window really enhances the riding experience, especially from the middle row. It is akin to riding around in a tour helicopter with clear windows all around you.
  • The ride was smooth and the car stuck to the road like glue going around corners at fairly high speed. The Model Xes at the test ride event were all "Insane" models (not ludicrous) and it is, well, kinda insane how quickly they take off, even when fairly heavily loaded. Even without insane mode the regular 90D can do 0-60 in 4.8 which seems like it will be plenty fast for my purposes. I imagine the ludicrous ones will live up to the name.

With the test rides they only put two people in the second row. Spacious even with two larger people. Seemed fine for 3 adults for a up to couple hours, but longer rides I think would feel tight. Second row seats were very comfortable! A whole different level than the model S back seats!

Thanks for the review. Just curious about the size of the person sitting next to you in the third row.
The guy next to me in the third row was also around 6 feet tall, medium frame, average build. We were not on top of each other. We each had a bit of personal space. My head was pretty close to the roof/hatch but I didn't feel particularly closed in or claustrophobic. I wouldn't want to tour cross-country in that seat, but it's fine for shorter trips and I would imagine would be more than fine for kids even for long distance trips. Personally I would have preferred a manual latch to move the 2nd seat up when I was getting out. The motorized motion is cool but not particularly speedy.

- - - Updated - - -

With the test rides they only put two people in the second row. Spacious even with two larger people. Seemed fine for 3 adults for a up to couple hours, but longer rides I think would feel tight. Second row seats were very comfortable! A whole different level than the model S back seats!
They let you sit in the third row for the test ride if you asked. The guy in front of me did that with his wife sitting in the front passenger seat and someone else in the middle row. I did my test ride in the 2nd row, but spent about 15 minutes in the 3rd row in Elon's car on stage. Toward midnight, the crowd around the car started to lighten up (a little) so you could spent a bit more hands-on time with it.

-CB

The guy next to me in the third row was also around 6 feet tall, medium frame, average build. We were not on top of each other. We each had a bit of personal space. My head was pretty close to the roof/hatch but I didn't feel particularly closed in or claustrophobic. I wouldn't want to tour cross-country in that seat, but it's fine for shorter trips and I would imagine would be more than fine for kids even for long distance trips. Personally I would have preferred a manual latch to move the 2nd seat up when I was getting out. The motorized motion is cool but not particularly speedy.

- - - Updated - - -

They let you sit in the third row for the test ride if you asked. The guy in front of me did that with his wife sitting in the front passenger seat and someone else in the middle row. I did my test ride in the 2nd row, but spent about 15 minutes in the 3rd row in Elon's car on stage. Toward midnight, the crowd around the car started to lighten up (a little) so you could spent a bit more hands-on time with it.

-CB

I spent time in the 3rd row a while. I'm 6'1" and my hair rubbed the roof. I fit, but wouldn't choose to stay there long. Soft and comfortable seats though. I also sat middle seat with two women (not huge) on either side. Our shoulders were snug. Not an escalade. Also, no place for the feet surprisingly. There's a strange cloth cover on the floor of Elon's car. Not sure if that is going to carry over. If you pull out the cup holders or plug into the USB ports, also no room.

This is is a car+, not an suv- . It's pretty good at what it is. It's just not a big SUV.

I'm still thinking I'm going to finalize. But surprisingly wavering.

The ride itself was model S.

I'm surprised that folks keep comparing to an Escalade, that's just about the largest SUV one can buy, especially in Suburban length. We have a Yukon XL that we'll probably keep, at least for a while, and the Model X will replace my wife's nonsense Acadia.

I'm glad to hear that the 3rd row is usable by adults. I think we're planning on the 6 seater.

Silly question, as one who has been following this for years. I cannot find a picture of the x from above. I presume with the windshield the way it is, and the falcon wing doors, there is no sunroof? ( even in winter i need fresh air coming in, so usually have the sunroof propped open).

Silly question, as one who has been following this for years. I cannot find a picture of the x from above. I presume with the windshield the way it is, and the falcon wing doors, there is no sunroof? ( even in winter i need fresh air coming in, so usually have the sunroof propped open).

There is no sunroof. It was speculated briefly that the falcon wing doors might allow for a central sunroof tilt function, but that appears to have been a long shot dream. You'll have to use the fresh air vent through your AC.

Test RIDE impressions:
  • The ride was smooth and the car stuck to the road like glue going around corners at fairly high speed. The Model Xes at the test ride event were all "Insane" models (not ludicrous) and it is, well, kinda insane how quickly they take off, even when fairly heavily loaded. Even without insane mode the regular 90D can do 0-60 in 4.8 which seems like it will be plenty fast for my purposes. I imagine the ludicrous ones will live up to the name.
There were demos with the P90D underlined on the back. I road in one. I do not know if he had it in ludicrous mode. We did do a couple launches and I do not think he had it on. It was still ridiculously fast.

What our driver did do was simulate going through cones at a very good clip. He cranked it left and right about 10' side to side *very* hard. It was very very impressive. I've ridden in the P85D twice and have driven once at a test track.

From the second row.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/u9ONUl8.png
u9ONUl8.png

Image: http://i.imgur.com/qmM6p6K.png
qmM6p6K.png

Image: http://i.imgur.com/Ul9DmjH.png
Ul9DmjH.png

There were demos with the P90D underlined on the back. I road in one. I do not know if he had it in ludicrous mode. We did do a couple launches and I do not think he had it on. It was still ridiculously fast.

What our driver did do was simulate going through cones at a very good clip. He cranked it left and right about 10' side to side *very* hard. It was very very impressive. I've ridden in the P85D twice and have driven once at a test track.

From the second row.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/qmM6p6K.png
View attachment 96330

Is that reflection of the driver in the upper portion of the windshield because you used a flash in the car or something?

I guess this is a rendering but:

press01-model-x-driving.jpg

We were among the fortunate ones to get a test ride. We were so in awe, it was truly difficult to take in all the details during our ride. My husband sat in the front passenger seat and I was in the 2nd row middle. We both loved how the seats felt. The windshield is amazing!! I am 5'8" and was able to walk right in - didn't think twice about it - AMAZING!! We were both blown away by the power. Tesla grins all the way!!!
image.jpeg