Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Volunteers for an EV Project at Everett Community College 10/15 and 10/16!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla Owners!

This is Joe Graber again. I am an Engineering Instructor at Everett Community College. One of the classes that I have designed is an Introduction to Engineering where students learn basic engineering analysis through hands-on projects. One of our projects is based on Electric Vehicles. Students perform calculations to compare the cost and environmental impact of electric versus internal combustion vehicles.

We've ran this project 4 times so far and each time it has been amazing. In order to get the students interested and provide hands-on experience we plan "EV Days". Due to the generous participation from owners on this forum, the EV Days have been huge successes. Last Spring our "EV Day" was part of our earth week celebration and we had more cars than ever before! Those of you who participated, I can't thank you enough for volunteering your time! You were able to answer all of the students questions, give rides, and have hopefully have a little fun at the same time.

This event always has a huge impact on the students. I can honestly say that I have never seen students as excited to learn as after they step out of a Tesla (especially those cars set to Insane mode). I also saw many attitudes change. Students became passionate about electric cars and want to know more about how they work.

We are hoping to do the same thing again this quarter and are asking for your participation. I am looking for volunteers who would like to show off their cars to a group of enthusiastic engineering students. We normally start off with a 45 minute question and answer session and then gave rides to students 4 at a time.

It is completely up to you whether you would like to take students on short rides (no students will be driving) and it is definitely not required. There should be one or two Leafs there at the same time that students will be able to ride in. So if you are hesitant to let students ride along, don't let that stop you from coming.

We have multiple sections of this course so I am arranging two different days. Here are the times and dates:

Thursday October 8th from 4:00 PM - 5:30 PM
Friday October 9th from 10:30 AM - 1:30 PM ish

The Tuesday session is longer because it will actually be for two class sections (10:30 - 11:50 AM and 12:20 - 1:30 PM with 1/2 hour lunch break, cafeteria lunch provided for volunteers). Each session will be approximate 25 students. The Thursday session will be a little smaller.

We are located at 2000 Tower Street in Everett. There are blink chargers located on campus (Level 2, 30 AMP).

If you can only make one session or even only come for a short time we would still love to have you!

Please let me know if you are interested or if you have any questions and thank you for your support!

You can send me a PM or email me at jgraber at everettcc dot edu.

Thanks!
Joe

Yes, I am actually on Paternity leave until January. My second son was just born so I am not teaching this quarter. But since I designed the course and I want to see it continue with the same standards and opportunities as when I am teaching, I have decided to help out the faculty who are teaching this quarter. Part of helping out is setting up the EV day. The instructors of the course this quarter are Jamie Duffy and Doug Mair. I plan on coordinating the volunteers as well as attending the event to make sure it runs smoothly. So if you email me, please just ignore my out of office message. I will get back to you anyway. Thanks.

Unfortunately it looks like I jumped the gun a little. We ended up having a scheduling conflict on the 8th and 9th so we will be moving the EV day to the 15th and 16th.

Here are the new times:
Thursday October 15th from 4:00 PM - 5:30 PM
Friday October 16th from 10:30 AM - 1:30 PM ish

Does anyone know how I can edit my initial post to change the dates in the title to minimize confusion? If this is possible please let me know.

Feel free to contact me at jgraber at everettcc.edu if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Joe

Hi Joe,

Dang, I had the 9th all set up on my calendar and was coming here to say I could make it. Well, I think I can still make the 16th work. It was fun last time, so I'm looking forward to doing it again.

Alright! Thank you RPO, ChadS, breser, MikeBur, and Freds! We are happy to have you involved. I also heard from one other owner over email. It sounds like we should have a pretty good turnout. If anyone else would like to join just let me know.

This is a great forum and I am always impressed with your enthusiasm and generosity. Thanks for the support!

The first EV day is coming up tomorrow, 10/15 from 4 - 5:30pm. Here are some more details for those who have not come before. If you are still interested in joining us feel free to show up.

Please meet on Everett Community College's Campus which is located at 2000 Tower Street, Everett, WA 98201.
Here is a map of Campus: http://www.everettcc.edu/files/administration/college-services/security/parking/parking-map-print.pdf

Please pull into Parking Lot F where you will either meet me or a Campus Security Guard.
We will guide you up the walkway to the covered breezeway in front of Gray Wolf Hall (Building 7 on the map).

Please arrive at 4:00 pm on Thursday 10/15 or at 10:30 am on Friday 10/16 (or both!)
If you get lost or have any questions feel free to call or email me at (425) 202-5634

See you tomorrow, Joe

See you later today ;-)

Anything we can bring? I know Chad's a veteran at this, though this is my first time. I did wash my car tonight though - my wife thought me even crazier than usual!

as of 1am, car is installing new FW. Hoping this is v7!

Last edited:
I got v7. So I'll have an AutoSteering capable car. I didn't get a chance to wash my car so it's not going to be super nice. Been insanely busy lately.
Hopefully not too busy to update the tracker? :)

My car is clean (let's see how clean it still is by the time I get there) and autosteering capable too, so I win what prize? :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a bit jealous of those of you with newer and autopilot capable cars. I'll be there with my old, albeit clean, dinosaur of a car.

Sorry to hear, though I'll let you try mine if you'd like? Just remember to use my referral when you decide you need to update :)

Tomorrow I'll bring my 6-year-old car with a 3" display, no Autopilot, no Supercharging, no nav, RWD, fixed suspension, fixed door handles, no rear seat, almost no storage, lousy stereo, etc to talk about how bad we had it in the old days. Plus it's slower than a P85D and had a higher base price! Man, why do I still have one of these.

Looking forward to seeing you all. MikeBur, no need to bring anything. Depending on where you are coming from you may need to bring some patience for traffic. I imagine that it is easier to put up with traffic since you are not burning gas. See you soon.

Tomorrow I'll bring my 6-year-old car with a 3" display, no Autopilot, no Supercharging, no nav, RWD, fixed suspension, fixed door handles, no rear seat, almost no storage, lousy stereo, etc to talk about how bad we had it in the old days. Plus it's slower than a P85D and had a higher base price! Man, why do I still have one of these.
Because it's awesome Chad! :)

Shame you couldn't make it today, and that I can't make it tomorrow. Was fun chatting with the keen students and us all giving them a quick taste of the future! :)