Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only 90 KWh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you really think a 90D Model X is going to be cheaper than a Model S 90D? They will build and deliver 90Ds first as they should, since they're likely to be supply constrained through the rest of this year and into next and need the gross margins of the higher end vehicles. In a month or two or three, they'll open up the 70s.

We need bigger packs, not smaller ones!

I'm curious as to why Tesla wouldn't offer something like a "double-stack" battery option for the X. This would raise capacity to more than 150kWh.

Sure, having a double battery pack would raise the vehicle height a bit, but that shouldn't be much of an issue in an SUV.

Cost would likewise increase, but I think for the minority of people needing this option it would be well worth it.

The potential for trim variation would also be interesting. Can you imagine a future P170D with each motor having its own direct line to one of the packs? It would be a monster!

I doubt there will be an option for a battery smaller than 90 kWh.

I'm hoping there will be a new, bigger battery within a year. The upgrade from 85 to 90 was rather underwhelming, I thought.
While it seems underwhelming, the 90 battery seems to have a higher output available, as well, as uses the same number of cells, meaning, more power to weight. I would say, while not the most impressive, additional capacity without getting more weight, or changing the number of cells, is a good step forward. Basically, all they need to do is load the new cells into the existing pack design. Nice upgrade with no real additional investment. And one can never have too much range in a EV.

We need bigger packs, not smaller ones!

I'm curious as to why Tesla wouldn't offer something like a "double-stack" battery option for the X. This would raise capacity to more than 150kWh.

Sure, having a double battery pack would raise the vehicle height a bit, but that shouldn't be much of an issue in an SUV.

Cost would likewise increase, but I think for the minority of people needing this option it would be well worth it.

The potential for trim variation would also be interesting. Can you imagine a future P170D with each motor having its own direct line to one of the packs? It would be a monster!
I think the problem with this would be weight.

The 85kwh battery pack weighs about 1200 pounds. The payload capacity of the Model S is about 1000 pounds. The Model X should be similar.

So adding an extra 85kwh battery pack onto the car consumes all of the existing payload capacity and then some. Re-engineering the car to support another 1200 pounds of weight is possible, but at that point you are basically creating another model. Everything needs to be redesigned. Tire selection, brake sizing, suspension components, unibody strength, crash structures, rollover protection, etc.

Now, you might ask: why not just design the Model X to support 2200 pounds of payload capacity from the get go - then customers that choose to have a smaller battery pack gain additional payload? The primary reason is that everything will be over designed at additional expense. This is a significant competitive disadvantage. Range would suffer also, to some extent.

The Model X configurator shows me 3 primary options:

1. P90D (base price $115,500) will start deliveries in "early 2016"

2. 90D (base price $95,500) will start deliveries in "mid 2016"

3. 70D (base price $80,000) will start deliveries in "mid to late 2016"

A few options, like air suspension, are included in the higher-priced models so the upgrade price is not all about battery capacity.