Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to Model X reveal event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon omitted a ton of detail about this car - for example, new headlights. He was obviously not getting too deep into the details. Perhaps they're still trying to keep demand for the car down by not talking about all the new features? It could be said that they were really sticking to the letter of "deliveries will begin in Q3" - but we don't get to learn that much more about the car.

The safety was great, but when you look at how much it took in the presentation, it seems like they were spinning it out in order to not be revealing other things. Side impact photos vs. Audi Q5 were very illuminating. A buddy of mine is planning to get a Q5 for his wife... will have to forward this to him :)

No prices for example. No 70D version? If this is true (and we saw no real evidence confirming it), the base price would not be $80,000 as I have guessed. Definitely hoping they will use the 70kWh battery which, after all, has new battery tech in it.

He didn't mention any kind of protectant against the sun on the new windshield. You'd think he would have brought attention to it. I'm hoping front seat occupants won't be subject to the sun's radiation! Can't imagine how he would think a tricksy adjustable windshield cover wouldn't be worth mentioning. Honestly I could not choose a vehicle with regular glass above me that has no protection against the sun.
Update: Press Release Says: "The windshield's solar tint transition completes the modern and open feel."

Hopefully the guests at the event are busy asking all these questions! So by tomorrow we will have a lot more information.

The air filter was awesome.

The new nose... sure, it looks odd after 3 years of looking at the dog snout on the Model S. But I think I could easily get used to it. Don't forget it will have a registration plate in most places. It looks more "bird-like" as had been pointed out before. It is a ballsy design move to have almost nothing for an air intake. Definitely disrupting what people think the front of a car should look like. The first Model X we saw was white... which was difficult to look at. Once I got to see other colours, the new nose was easier to understand and get used to.

3.2 seconds 0-60 is going to make Porsche really sad... it's not like they don't already have enough going on at the moment, without being kicked off the "fastest SUV" perch.

2nd row seats... IMO he didn't show the "utility" of the car that was previewed in the 2012 reveal. I'm sorta concerned about what will fit into the vehicle. Hope this is allayed in some future reveal. I personally couldn't care less for three fancy seats in the 2nd row. I want a large, flat loading space if I am going to buy something that's in a three-letter vehicle segment whose middle letter stands for "utility." I understand that some people have a different opinion to me.

Last edited:
I was happy to see that the non-performance version will still be quite fast (4.8 seconds 0-60... other threads around here show that it will have matching front and rear motors totaling about 500HP... although that was not mentioned in his presentation)

Front is definitely different and will take some time getting used to... my wife watched the live stream with me and her first reaction was that the front looked weird (white color didn't help)... she hasn't jumped ship, but she came away unimpressed overall... sigh.

I like the FWD being able to change the angle of opening based on objects close to it (the tight parking spot illustration was effective) and that it will remember your garage dimensions and set it automatically.

I'm hoping for advanced headlights and impressive daytime LED lights... nothing mentioned about that.

Also would like to see the 6 seat configuration... maybe some people at the event will see one and post some pics.

Hopefully we will get more information over the next couple of days and what Tesla's plan is for ramp up.

I need to start getting ready. I'm just glad it is finally here

I'm a little surprised by the lack of mention of a 70kWh pack. I guess I was always assuming they would do one. That doesn't look like the case, at least for the time being.

The falcon doors really impressed me tonight. Being able to open them in that little space is fantastic.

Mostly I'm hoping that the information embargo from Tesla is over and those of us configuring can finally get some real answers about things.

minimal towing capacity for a vehicle in its size and weight category
second row seats don't fold.

good news is I don't feel that impulsive urge to leverage myself and buy this vehicle anymore.

Financial instability in the markets
The high US dollar (I am in canada)
low tow capacity
minimal utility (seats not folding)

makes it an easy decision to pull my deposit.. I made the deposit because of rebate incentives from the government.
I was willing to pull the trigger and buy a model X only if the promised towing capacity (By Jim Chen) and ultility (flat folding seats) materialized.

gives me a couple more years to save a bigger down payment and to see if Tesla realizes its not just about the soccer moms.

I liked the air filter. By itself without context, you may say - "what?!?! they spoke about the air filter how long?!?!" but it was a brilliant piece of psychology: with Dieselgate ongoing, they could talk about clean air in a whole new way and anchor it deep down in people's minds that the Model X is a super clean and good car that doesn't pollute and leave the pollutants outside the car... Brilliantly done.

I liked the air filter. By itself without context, you may say - "what?!?! they spoke about the air filter how long?!?!" but it was a brilliant piece of psychology: with Dieselgate ongoing, they could talk about clean air in a whole new way and anchor it deep down in people's minds that the Model X is a super clean and good car that doesn't pollute and leave the pollutants outside the car... Brilliantly done.

I think the part about air filter is mostly targeted at the Chinese market which hasn't been ordering Tesla cars as much as predicted. I get the feeling if someone living there would be extremely interested by not decreasing their life expectancy ;)

minimal towing capacity for a vehicle in its size and weight category
second row seats don't fold.

good news is I don't feel that impulsive urge to leverage myself and buy this vehicle anymore.

Financial instability in the markets
The high US dollar (I am in canada)
low tow capacity
minimal utility (seats not folding)

makes it an easy decision to pull my deposit.. I made the deposit because of rebate incentives from the government.
I was willing to pull the trigger and buy a model X only if the promised towing capacity (By Jim Chen) and ultility (flat folding seats) materialized.

gives me a couple more years to save a bigger down payment and to see if Tesla realizes its not just about the soccer moms.

The Audi Q5 has a towing capacity of 4400lbs. What exactly did you expect? It kind of annoys me when people expect the sun, moon and stars from a company that's trying to put out it's second ever mass-produced vehicle. Give them a break. It's basically the first ever electric CUV. Given that, I think it's a great start. They don't have a dozen factories and 200,000 employees pumping out vehicles. They'll eventually get to whatever your apparent towing needs are, but you may have to wait 10 years.

The Audi Q5 has a towing capacity of 4400lbs. What exactly did you expect? It kind of annoys me when people expect the sun, moon and stars from a company that's trying to put out it's second ever mass-produced vehicle. Give them a break. It's basically the first ever electric CUV. Given that, I think it's a great start. They don't have a dozen factories and 200,000 employees pumping out vehicles. They'll eventually get to whatever your apparent towing needs are, but you may have to wait 10 years.

It's not competing against the Q5 though. It's competing against the X5, GLE, and Q7 which has respective towing capacities of 6,000, 7,200, and 5,500, respectively. The XC90, which is only offered with a 4 cylinder powertrain, offers a 5,000 towing capacity. The X's is certainly competitive, but not particularly impressive.

My wife and I were both happy with the emphasis on safety, the impressive room for 7 and the 5000 lb towing - we are considering pulling a 16 ft Airstream sport so it was great to see the 19 or 20 foot model with all the passengers and luggage. We would like to get 200 miles of range towing at 55 mph, but expect to get data on towing vs range over the next several months on this website. All in all, we liked what we saw.

Lots of missing details. When will first signatures be delivered? What kind of convenience power outlets does the car have? Is back seat venting better than Model S? Is there a luggage well behind the third row seats?

It's not competing against the Q5 though. It's competing against the X5, GLE, and Q7 which has respective towing capacities of 6,000, 7,200, and 5,500, respectively. The XC90, which is only offered with a 4 cylinder powertrain, offers a 5,000 towing capacity. The X's is certainly competitive, but not particularly impressive.

How many miles of emissions free towing can those other vehicles do? That's the part that's particularly impressive in my book.

Lots of missing details. When will first signatures be delivered? What kind of convenience power outlets does the car have? Is back seat venting better than Model S? Is there a luggage well behind the third row seats?

I agree kinda, poor presentation that way. The car is still growing on me but I can't make a x90 payment, will have to sell the car forward if demand is still high.

Kinda bummed that it didn't seem to have electrochroamatic windshield.

I think the part about air filter is mostly targeted at the Chinese market which hasn't been ordering Tesla cars as much as predicted. I get the feeling if someone living there would be extremely interested by not decreasing their life expectancy ;)

Actually, I've often thought my Model S air filter needed to get beefed up. ICE car air pollution is horrible...

My wife and I were both happy with the emphasis on safety, the impressive room for 7 and the 5000 lb towing - we are considering pulling a 16 ft Airstream sport so it was great to see the 19 or 20 foot model with all the passengers and luggage. We would like to get 200 miles of range towing at 55 mph, but expect to get data on towing vs range over the next several months on this website. All in all, we liked what we saw.

The main concern with towing, IMO, will be how to access super chargers easily. Can't back into a supercharger with a huge trailer. Very difficult to accommodate for long range travel without superchargers.

Looked through a few articles but no mention of the frunk.... I just wonder what the space in there will be like compared to Model S

Edit: watched the video, It can fit a full size stroller which is very impressive! Still would love to see some photos though

Am also still a little concerned with the doors and ceiling height. The sensors will avoid hitting the ceiling but will it make it difficult to get in and out?

Last edited:
I like the new nose, and we require registration plates on the front in Australia like most markets as others have mentioned. I think it looks clean and a nod to the future.

I'm still disappointed that it contains stuff I neither need or want:

- The Falcon wing doors should be an option, full stop. They are just too showy for me and my kids are out of car seats so it really means nothing, id rather a cheaper and presumably lighter car.

- Self opening front doors, again not something that I need or am bothered by. Again, leave the motors out for me and save some weight. (I don't even car for powered tailgates!)

- Panoramic front windscreen. Perhaps this would be cool, but again, its not something I require, so would rather save on cost!

Overall, I love the style. I just want a basic SUV that is an EV, no BS. Just make the flashy stuff and option. So basically a Model S with 7 seats and towing for me. Hopefully there will be some delete options in the future.

When is the online configurator going live?!?!?! Its driving me nuts!