Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Doors / Door Handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pgiralt

Supporting Member
Jun 16, 2013
Cary, NC
So it looks like the Model X does not have retracting door handles which in some ways is great, but the whole auto opening door thing seems even more gimmicky than the retracting handles. During the launch event, when the new owner when to get into the back seat, the passenger front door opened. I'm wondering how well these new front doors are going to work out.

So it looks like the Model X does not have retracting door handles which in some ways is great, but the whole auto opening door thing seems even more gimmicky than the retracting handles. During the launch event, when the new owner when to get into the back seat, the passenger front door opened. I'm wondering how well these new front doors are going to work out.

I may have missed it, but do the handles extend or provide some way to open the doors normally?

Model X Falcon Wing doors offer unprecedented convenience, entry, and maneuverability for everyday life. They provide seamless ingress and egress into the second and third row. No longer do parents have to cantilever themselves to avoid hitting their child's head on the roof as they place them in a car seat.

The double-hinged Falcon Wing doors open up then out, requiring only 30 cm of space on the side of the vehicle. Each door is equipped with capacitive, inductive, and sonar sensors to monitor surroundings and avoid contact with obstacles around the car, making it possible to park in tight .

The industry's first auto presenting door automatically opens and closes as the driver approaches or exits Model X. Why should the driver ever need to touch the door?

Model X Falcon Wing doors offer unprecedented convenience, entry, and maneuverability for everyday life. They provide seamless ingress and egress into the second and third row. No longer do parents have to cantilever themselves to avoid hitting their child's head on the roof as they place them in a car seat.

The double-hinged Falcon Wing doors open up then out, requiring only 30 cm of space on the side of the vehicle. Each door is equipped with capacitive, inductive, and sonar sensors to monitor surroundings and avoid contact with obstacles around the car, making it possible to park in tight .

The industry's first auto presenting door automatically opens and closes as the driver approaches or exits Model X. Why should the driver ever need to touch the door?
Both the falcon doors and the front door seemed to open way too slow. And no mention of front door sensors in case you`re parked close to something?
I do hope the front doors have ordinary function so you can open them manually. And remote opening of the falcon doors so you don`t have to wait while they open.

I wonder if the front doors have sonar sensors like the falcon wing doors? Maybe they don’t need them because the side sensors in the car could be used. If they have nothing to detect obstacles, it would be a problem if the door tried to open and smack against a wall in a garage - or smack against another car.

Both the falcon doors and the front door seemed to open way too slow. And no mention of front door sensors in case you`re parked close to something?
I do hope the front doors have ordinary function so you can open them manually. And remote opening of the falcon doors so you don`t have to wait while they open.

Did we see a different presentation? The doors seemed to open and close as fast, if not faster, than sliding doors...

Did we see a different presentation? The doors seemed to open and close as fast, if not faster, than sliding doors...
I`m used to regular doors which are opened inn less than a second. But maybe I`m wrong to compare falcon doors with regular doors.
The front doors however should open just as quickly as regular doors so you don`t have to wait around like Elon in the presentation.

I thought I read somewhere (in the press release I think) that the front doors did have some sensors for the self opening...
Excellent! Still waiting to see how they work in regular/manual mode.
I approach my car from the front. Hopefully they`ll be quick enough so that I can get right in. But from the looks of the presentation I`m not quite sure. If possible to deactivate and use as a regular door, that will probably be the preferred setting (but of course I don`t know for sure until the car is delivered).

I was at the event and saw it up close. The door handles are touch sensitive strips for manual opening of both the front doors and the falcon doors. The presenting is disable-able per a Tesla employee and they we're utilizing this during the test rides to speed things up.

Hopefully they have improved the functionality of the door sensing auto-present features. I find periodically when I walk up to my Model S the handles don't auto present for some reason.

I already find it annoying to have my Model S unlock and present the handles if I happen to walk by it in the driveway or in the garage. I wouldn't want the whole door opening up in this scenario.

Self opening front doors

While the new nose and Falcon wing doors are getting all the attention, we should talk about the new automatic front doors.

I've been watching a few youtube videos taken during test drives at the event and what is apparent on Model X is that the retracting door handles are no more. Tesla has gone with auto-opening and closing front doors now.

I wonder if the handles have proven too troublesome on Model S and might go away in favour of the new doors at a product refresh perhaps next year?

While the new nose and Falcon wing doors are getting all the attention, we should talk about the new automatic front doors.

I've been watching a few youtube videos taken during test drives at the event and what is apparent on Model X is that the retracting door handles are no more. Tesla has gone with auto-opening and closing front doors now.

I wonder if the handles have proven too troublesome on Model S and might go away in favour of the new doors at a product refresh perhaps next year?

Possible, but this "solution" seems to present more problems than the initial handles (which was also a solution seeking a problem). My door handles extend when I go out into the garage for something (usually keep my key in my pocket). Now my doors will be popping open? Also curious how it handles you approaching from the front. Does it wait until you're past the door THEN open?

Hopefully the door has a way to open without the fanfare.

I noticed the door opened itself when it shouldn't have last night when the key was given to Elon. I think this feature could get pretty annoying. Presumably the "handle" is a touch plate so you can press it and have the door open itself without having the automatic opening.

This is my expectation as well. Also, do we think this is how you open the FWD from the outside i.e. you press on the "handle"?

- - - Updated - - -

Possible, but this "solution" seems to present more problems than the initial handles (which was also a solution seeking a problem). My door handles extend when I go out into the garage for something (usually keep my key in my pocket). Now my doors will be popping open? Also curious how it handles you approaching from the front. Does it wait until you're past the door THEN open?

Hopefully the door has a way to open without the fanfare.

Good point. The handles popping out and after a while in again as you walk past the car in the drive way or garage is ok, not annoying or anything, in fact I kind of like it (feels welcoming) but the actual door(s) opening and closing uneccesarily - that will be very annoying.