Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm bored, when do we get more info on the 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like Jhall118 said, doubt it'll be only two years. I plan to order one asap and am assuming I'll be able to buy two with cash on hand by the time it actually comes out!

Knowing Tesla's track record, it might be closer to 4 years. However as someone pointed out in another thread, Tesla always has something novel in each new car, the door handles in the Model S (along with just the whole layout of the car), the falcon doors on the X, the novel thing talked about so far with the Model 3 is the price. If the Model 3 is otherwise conventionally engineered with no new technologies that have never been done before, the engineering time shouldn't be quite as bad as previous cars. I've heard the falcon doors were the big delay with the Model X.

If there are any glitzy features on the Model 3 demo in March, I will be very pessimistic about the 18 month time window from demo to production. However, if the demo is a mix of conventional car technology with some features well tested on the Models S and X, they might make it by sometime in 2018.

Model 3 is directly tied to the Gigafactory. Tesla pushed really hard to get the factory started in Nevada last year I order to start cell production by mid 2016. He timing alone tells me they're not fooling around this time. They can't afford to have the Gigafactory producing cells at a reduced capacity while they wait for Model 3 design to be finalized.
Remember, this is supposed to be a cheaper car to produce and less complex. That's the whole point. Unfortunately we've been conditioned by Model X delays to think this is going to happen to Model 3 again. Model X was delayed due to unprecedented demand for Model S at the start of 2013. To they had to back burner the project to focus on Model S production and improvements. Model X was never part of the ultimate plan. Personally I think they showed Model X was too early and should have waited. In any case it's a home run but engineering is all hands on deck to get Model 3 out now. Tesla has a lot more resources more now than they had in 2012

I talk to a lot of people about my Model S (Uber driver). They all talk about the unveiling of the Model 3 in March, and how they are just waiting to buy one in 2017, and feel terrible for them. I can't imagine it launching anywhere close to that soon.

You drive a Model S as an uber driver, and you're in Seattle?!? How can I book a ride in your car? The few times I've used rideshare I've used Lyft, but I'll switch up if I can specify a Tesla S for pickup.

I just want to know *when* in March reservations open. I'm hoping it is not while I'm on vacation as I'll have spotty connectivity then and really want to be one of those day one (if not minute and or hour 1) reservations.

The 2 year wait is brutal but it actually works for me given my current car situation. My daughter will simply inherit one of our two current cars when this one is delivered.

I'd like to see some emphasis on Model 3 as well. Almost every news article I currently read on Tesla has some snarky comment about how expensive these things are, that very few can afford them and so forth. And some of the reader comments are even more brutal. I realize this is all part of Elon's "Secret Plan" but it would be nice to start focusing on an EV that the "average" person can afford.

Almost every news article I currently read on Tesla has some snarky comment about how expensive these things are, that very few can afford them and so forth. And some of the reader comments are even more brutal. I realize this is all part of Elon's "Secret Plan" but it would be nice to start focusing on an EV that the "average" person can afford.

See, that's what is really starting to irritate me. I now tell people, give me your phone (I actually go for it in the pockets to make a point), tv, and that computer you type on because at one point you couldn't afford any of it. I then mention it takes time and that the price will eventually go down.

Model 3 is directly tied to the Gigafactory. Tesla pushed really hard to get the factory started in Nevada last year I order to start cell production by mid 2016. He timing alone tells me they're not fooling around this time. They can't afford to have the Gigafactory producing cells at a reduced capacity while they wait for Model 3 design to be finalized.
Remember, this is supposed to be a cheaper car to produce and less complex. That's the whole point. Unfortunately we've been conditioned by Model X delays to think this is going to happen to Model 3 again. Model X was delayed due to unprecedented demand for Model S at the start of 2013. To they had to back burner the project to focus on Model S production and improvements. Model X was never part of the ultimate plan. Personally I think they showed Model X was too early and should have waited. In any case it's a home run but engineering is all hands on deck to get Model 3 out now. Tesla has a lot more resources more now than they had in 2012

This is my sentiment too. There isn't the need for newer whiz-bang, over-the-top flashy features for the Model 3 that are engineering challenges. I think the Gigafactory is key to the Model 3 launch date. I'd wager that teams have been working on the Model 3 for quite some time now since it is the ultimate goal. The Roadster, Model S and Model X were just milestones essential to reaching that goal.

This is my sentiment too. There isn't the need for newer whiz-bang, over-the-top flashy features for the Model 3 that are engineering challenges. I think the Gigafactory is key to the Model 3 launch date. I'd wager that teams have been working on the Model 3 for quite some time now since it is the ultimate goal. The Roadster, Model S and Model X were just milestones essential to reaching that goal.
Let's not forget, though, that Tesla is also using the Gigafactory to support its powerpack and powerwall products. If/when the Model 3 slips, they can just divert the battery production to those product lines.

Here's a couple of drone views of the gigafactory from April/May 2015:

Tesla Gigafactory In 4k - YouTube

Tesla Gigafactory in 4k--Filmed on April 18th of 2015. - YouTube

Hopefully, Tesla will release another one soon so we can see the progress to date. In addition to pumping out the batteries from here, they also need the production lines. And the demand will be a lot more than for the S or X given its price range. 2017 seems overly optimistic to me but I sure hope to be proven wrong.

Here's a couple of drone views of the gigafactory from April/May 2015:

Tesla Gigafactory In 4k - YouTube

Tesla Gigafactory in 4k--Filmed on April 18th of 2015. - YouTube

Hopefully, Tesla will release another one soon so we can see the progress to date. In addition to pumping out the batteries from here, they also need the production lines. And the demand will be a lot more than for the S or X given its price range. 2017 seems overly optimistic to me but I sure hope to be proven wrong.
This one is from Sept. 2015

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I figured out I really can't afford an S, I'm all in for a 3. But there's been no news or info since the Elon tweet about pre orders in March. How about some specs our anything? This is boring.

Dear bigbearballs,

Welcome to the forums.

These are the Tesla Motors Club forums! We don't need no sticking official information! What we don't know, we simply make up!

Get with it and start speculating! Believe me, when you dive in and make stuff up it won't be boring. :wink:

Larry

Dear bigbearballs,

Welcome to the forums.

These are the Tesla Motors Club forums! We don't need no sticking official information! What we don't know, we simply make up!

Get with it and start speculating! Believe me, when you dive in and make stuff up it won't be boring. :wink:

Larry
When I was in the Canadian army we used to say "If you don't hear a rumour by 10:00 make up one."

Just from anecdotal experience talking to people, the Model 3 has an intense built up demand. It's going to be an agonizing two year wait for those who want one.

I'm counting on initial deliveries in late 2017, and full production in 2018. Demand is going to be off the charts, so I actually recommend that people not have a lease that ends in that timeframe, because they may not be able to jump right to a Model 3. Better IMO to buy a car and keep it in order to have flexibility. I've seen too many people here get screwed waiting and waiting for a Model X.

I'd like to see some emphasis on Model 3 as well. Almost every news article I currently read on Tesla has some snarky comment about how expensive these things are, that very few can afford them and so forth. And some of the reader comments are even more brutal. I realize this is all part of Elon's "Secret Plan" but it would be nice to start focusing on an EV that the "average" person can afford.

Unfortunately, some people are envious and become bitter that they can't have the latest toys. It seems to be human nature. I remember it with iPhones. I've seen it with Model S too. Nobody bats an eye when the neighbor brings home a brand new Mercedes S-class, but when the "exotic" Tesla shows up, some people get angry.

Many people are also not very intelligent or are ignorant of how technology progresses and eventually becomes accessible to the mainstream. When people make snarky comments regarding expensive Teslas, I try not to be angry. The Tesla "secret Plan" to bring EVs to the mass market is easy to explain. Once people get it, they tend to be optimistic, because there is a chance that they, too, will someday have access to that stuff.

I'm counting on initial deliveries in late 2017, and full production in 2018. Demand is going to be off the charts, so I actually recommend that people not have a lease that ends in that timeframe, because they may not be able to jump right to a Model 3. Better IMO to buy a car and keep it in order to have flexibility. I've seen too many people here get screwed waiting and waiting for a Model X.
One exception to lease is Leaf - we can extend the lease month by month for a year, like I'm doing now.