Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those with paint armor, does it ALWAYS have the line across the hood?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check the edges of the hood and even look at the underside of the edges. If it is a good job, you should only see a very slight edge to the wrap. The Tesla wrap is only 50% of the hood, thus the seam. IMO, it's unsightly. Good wraps cover the entire hood or any other panel so that the seams are not visible. I have seen several references for good installers in FL.

Check the edges of the hood and even look at the underside of the edges. If it is a good job, you should only see a very slight edge to the wrap. The Tesla wrap is only 50% of the hood, thus the seam. IMO, it's unsightly. Good wraps cover the entire hood or any other panel so that the seams are not visible. I have seen several references for good installers in FL.

I am more concerned about it not having it when the configuration said it did. I very much wanted the PA for the protection (part of the reason I chose my specific one). If it doesn't have it I guess I will just gruntle @ them some, then get one done properly

Hopefully it doesn't have the "half hood" implementation as shown in your screenshot... it's terrible having that line across the hood and I can't believe they even offered it in the first place.

As CHG-ON mentioned, check the edging, particularly the corners, and you may see an edge. If it's done well, you'll really have to look to see it.

For what it's worth, my own cost-benefit trade-off decision on installation of XPEL Ultimate was to cover the entire front of the car up to the doors plus 15 inches of the roof and the windshield side pillars. So I have "the line" across the roof. (Plus the installer included the trunk sill and door edges.) That was $1,100; the whole car would have been $3,000.

Edit: side mirrors, too.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, my own cost-benefit trade-off decision on installation of XPEL Ultimate was to cover the entire front of the car up to the doors plus 15 inches of the roof and the windshield side pillars. So I have "the line" across the roof. (Plus the installer included the trunk sill and door edges.) That was $1,100; the whole car would have been $3,000.

I should have driven to Reno. I paid $3500 for not much more coverage than you obtained.

Thanks for the reply.

After more and more investigating it seems my car (CPO) does NOT have the paint armor on the hood, nor front bumper, even though the spec sheet claimed it did.
This is slightly unsettling the car is not spec'd as listed... not sure if I want to bring this up to them

Thanks for the reply.

After more and more investigating it seems my car (CPO) does NOT have the paint armor on the hood, nor front bumper, even though the spec sheet claimed it did.
This is slightly unsettling the car is not spec'd as listed... not sure if I want to bring this up to them

Why would you have any qualms at all about bringing this up? The car was not listed correctly.

Why would you have any qualms at all about bringing this up? The car was not listed correctly.

I try not to be a pain in the ass to people unless its something worth fighting over. But the more I think about it, the more pissed I am about it, along with other **** ups on the CPO delivery.

Since this is obviously something they won't install, what do I push on? Free LTE upgrade? 500$ back (price of the PA?)

Thanks for the reply.

It was most likely removed. You could probably get something similar, if not better, from a local XPEL/Suntek dealer.

How would you guys verify this before calling? I want to be 100% sure before I get a big tiff with them (including I've been nagging them over the beginning of a milling noise, and insanely annoying brake sounds when coming to a complete stop).

I know for 100% fact there is a film line on the hood. I do not see any evidence of wrap around the front bumper where it meets the other body panels. Any other ways?