Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My P85D doesn't go past 133MPH. I thought the limit was 155MPH?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The day I drove the car home in January after XPEL, I had an opportunity to test the 100+ mph speed on the Tesla. It was disappointing since the car didn't let me go past 135 in a private track. I reached out to Tesla and they advised that the FW released had not been made yet. Weeks go by and nothing. silence.

Then a few months later, I see some threads such as THIS showing that the 135 limit has been lifted.

Today I tried twice to go past 135 on the private track and was not successful. I did this with 90% charge and 85% charge, and both times the car started to aggressively cut power (the same feeling as driving the Tesla Loaners when you try to go past 80 MPH). It was clear it had nothing to do with reaching any sort of "limit". The car was "warmed up with light driving, there was no dashboard sign or dotted yellow line limit that showed up. Track was a straight line, no curves whatsoever. straight flat piece of roadway.

Anyone else seeing this? This is extremely disappointing. I am on .36 release for 6.2, 21inch rims, air suspension (I don't think these matter)

I did a brief search and didn't immediately find anything. Sorry if this is a repost...

I have been asked by a certain someone to forward information that may help. I have read the forum rules to make sure that channeling banned members is allowed, provided no other rules are broken by doing so.

wk057 said:
Tesla service bulletin SB-15-40-001 addresses this. Some S85 and P85D's built before ~March may have the wrong rear drive unit speed sensor installed. Service will replace it with an updated one for free and allow the 155 MPH top speed to be reached.

Thank you so much wk057 and Pilot_51, I'll bring this to the attention of the Service folks when I make my visit on Friday...

Any other TSBs that I should be aware of?

p.s. I come from a long line of BMWs, and TSBs were always clearly documented and available for all to review. I wish it was the same for TM.

I have been asked by a certain someone to forward information that may help. I have read the forum rules to make sure that channeling banned members is allowed, provided no other rules are broken by doing so.

Thank you so much wk057 and Pilot_51, I'll bring this to the attention of the Service folks when I make my visit on Friday...

Any other TSBs that I should be aware of?

p.s. I come from a long line of BMWs, and TSBs were always clearly documented and available for all to review. I wish it was the same for TM.

So does this TSB include all early p85d cars?

You know, in 7 months of ownership of a P85D I didn't have a chance to get anywhere near that speed until the past weekend on a completely deserted highway in the middle of nowhere. I hit exactly 130mph from a dead stop and it sat there at 130 for an extra couple seconds longer that I thought it should, before I brought it back down to a normal speed. I had this strange sense that the car may have just hit a wall, but I thought, nah, I've had the '155mph update' for months now, so I must have been dreaming.

Now I know i wasn't crazy.

You'd think Tesla would be proactively contacting folks with bad sensors. The fact that they have a service bulletin about this but aren't telling owners that their cars are not performing to spec is not good.

Reactions: RScottyL
You'd think Tesla would be proactively contacting folks with bad sensors. The fact that they have a service bulletin about this but aren't telling owners that their cars are not performing to spec is not good.

I am surprised no one complained about it sooner. I'm very unhappy that I have to keep a check if the car REALLY does have what I paid for...not a good feeling

They should at least be addressing it whenever the car is brought in for service. I believe that is standard practice for low priority items for most manufacturers.

My car was in for a failed 12V connector last month....This sensor was not replaced. First I'm hearing about this is this thread, smh

A forum member was denied a windshield replacement by Tesla after his warranty expired even though he had one of the early windshields that had a flaw for which a service bulletin was issued. Tesla never informed him of the service bulletin and he had no need to have the windshield replaced within the warranty period. If P85D owners notice that their cars don't accelerate beyond 135 MPH after their warranty expires, will Tesla treat them the same way?

This is patently ridiculous, in my opinion. Tesla really does need to notify all affected P85D owners. It seems like Tesla's P85D PR problems are mounting quickly...

A forum member was denied a windshield replacement by Tesla after his warranty expired even though he had one of the early windshields that had a flaw for which a service bulletin was issued. Tesla never informed him of the service bulletin and he had no need to have the windshield replaced within the warranty period. If P85D owners notice that their cars don't accelerate beyond 135 MPH after their warranty expires, will Tesla treat them the same way?

This is patently ridiculous, in my opinion. Tesla really does need to notify all affected P85D owners. It seems like Tesla's P85D PR problems are mounting quickly...

No skin in this game, but I'd have a hard time getting riled up about something I literally would never need or use except to see if it would happen.

If you're some kind of tesla track racer (or gumball rallyist), I'm guessing you already know if your car has the proper item or not. Otherwise, it seems rather like arguing for the sake of arguing, in this specific case.

No skin in this game, but I'd have a hard time getting riled up about something I literally would never need or use except to see if it would happen.

If you're some kind of tesla track racer (or gumball rallyist), I'm guessing you already know if your car has the proper item or not. Otherwise, it seems rather like arguing for the sake of arguing, in this specific case.

It still feels wrong to me. I don't own a P85D, so not personally impacted, but it seems wrong on Tesla's part.

Reactions: RScottyL