Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise emitters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, is anyone aware of any aftermarket noise emitters for the Model S?

I live at a village house setting in Hong Kong and even in my current hybrid car when I'm making my way out to work and coming home everyday, the car is practically invisible to pedestrians. And if they're walking away from me, sometimes they're walking in the middle of the road and short of honking them (don't want to piss off local neighbors), there's nothing I can do but to drive slowly behind them for a few minutes. Better at night with headlights. I guess I could crank up the music with my windows down... but a proper noise emitter would be nice.

Any recommendations?

I agree, sometimes on busy streets with pedestrians I don't really want to honk them out of the way (and give them a heart attack..) It would be great to have a secondary system to let pedestrians know a car is approaching. Trucks in the UK now use white sound emitters which would be ideal but I have no idea where to buy or how to install.

Ideally have it connected to the high beam flash and daylight sensor, so if the daylight sensor senses it is sunlight it would activate high beam and white noise, but if it is dark would flash high beam only.

for reference

http://brigade-electronics.com/product/reversing-warning-alarms/overview-was

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend drives an electric vehicle at work*. His company uses something similar to these as a noise emitter.
750cc7d9_771.jpeg

Chrome Hawk Electric Train Horn Hot Rod Deluxe Train Horn Air Horn

Seems to get peoples attention quite well.

Then there's that guy Charlie, he used these:
goodnplenty_old.jpg

*He works for Amtrak, a company who's service is almost as good as their spelling.

I agree, sometimes on busy streets with pedestrians I don't really want to honk them out of the way (and give them a heart attack..) It would be great to have a secondary system to let pedestrians know a car is approaching. Trucks in the UK now use white sound emitters which would be ideal but I have no idea where to buy or how to install.

Ideally have it connected to the high beam flash and daylight sensor, so if the daylight sensor senses it is sunlight it would activate high beam and white noise, but if it is dark would flash high beam only.

for reference

http://brigade-electronics.com/product/reversing-warning-alarms/overview-was

Not sure of a specific place to buy them, but it is a common requirement on major construction projects in Australia to have those type of reversing alarms instead of the traditional beepers. I would have thought auto-electric places that work on trucks or vans would know where to get them and I suspect that in normal application they would just connect to the reversing light circuit. I would be concerned about trying to hook it in to the full beam headlight set up because you don't want to knock out your headlights. Maybe it could be wired to a separate switch or remote?

There have been threads on this topic before, some suggestions more practical than others. One suggestion was a wireless door bell mounted behind the front grill. You could play greensleeves to clear they way!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, is anyone aware of any aftermarket noise emitters for the Model S?

I live at a village house setting in Hong Kong and even in my current hybrid car when I'm making my way out to work and coming home everyday, the car is practically invisible to pedestrians. And if they're walking away from me, sometimes they're walking in the middle of the road and short of honking them (don't want to piss off local neighbors), there's nothing I can do but to drive slowly behind them for a few minutes. Better at night with headlights. I guess I could crank up the music with my windows down... but a proper noise emitter would be nice.

Any recommendations?
I've experienced a similar problem here in Connectucut where I live on a narrow back-country road that's popular with bicyclists -- especially on weekends. I often find myself slowly following a cyclist who has no idea I'm there. I think honking would be rude, startling to the cyclist, and annoying to my neighbors. Wouldn't it be neat if Tesla offered a "two-tone" horn that gives the driver the option of emitting a chirp, or other "friendly" tone to alert a bicyclist ahead, or an inattentive pedestrian (about to step off the curb), of your presence? Maybe we could even download the tone of our choice over the Internet from a "Tesla library" -- like we do with our smart phones.

Recently I saw a link to news reports of a NHTSA proposed rule to require minimum levels of noise under certain conditions, for pedestrian safety. But now I don't recall where I saw the link. But if I recall correctly, it looks as if the feds are wanting to solve the problem by removing one of the best features of the Tesla -- its quiet. I hope the rule will allow intermittent use, such as in the cases described above, when approaching cyclists or pedestrians.