Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not receiving iOS charge notifications last two days - just me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AmpedRealtor

Jun 30, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I noticed that I stopped receiving charge completion notifications on my iPhone 6+ yesterday. I received a slurry of notifications the following day (today), but they all came through at once. The car finished charging today, but did not receive any notification. I updated my phone on Friday to 9.0.1, so not sure if that had anything to do with it. Has anyone else had issues with their Tesla Model S notifications in iOS 9?

I've been having similar issues with notifications appearing long after the actually occurred. I didn't upgrade to 9.0.1 until last night and this happened before that, so I don't think it's related to 9.0.1.

I noticed that I stopped receiving charge completion notifications on my iPhone 6+ yesterday. I received a slurry of notifications the following day (today), but they all came through at once. The car finished charging today, but did not receive any notification. I updated my phone on Friday to 9.0.1, so not sure if that had anything to do with it. Has anyone else had issues with their Tesla Model S notifications in iOS 9?

Notification delays are usually the fault of the notification servers (whether on Tesla's side or Apple's side) and not the end-user. Their (Apple's or Tesla's) servers were probably overwhelmed due to the massive influx of new iPhones (Sept 25 release date) starting to receive notifications on top of their old iPhones. I started receiving delayed notifications on Facebook messenger a few days ago while on iOS 8, so I think we just have to wait it out until people stop playing with their shiny new iPhones and the servers get some weight off their back.

If you're receiving it all at once, it's usually because the servers are trying to reduce the number of messages it has to send by having each message piggyback ride each other. This is one of the things that Apple warns app developers about for silent notifications, and tells us that we shouldn't expect notifications to arrive exactly on the time that we send them. And Apple is the one who chooses when to send the notifications.

Last edited:
I had two text notifications backed-up (delayed) that came in back-to-back um, 5 hours later... on Saturday.. the "charging interrupted" notice, so same thing as your symptom I suppose.
edit: still non-iOS 9 by the way

Rick

Last edited:
My car went crazy Sunday morning (guessing around 3AM EDT) and started sending tens/hundreds of "charging started"/"charging interrupted" messages every minute. Perhaps it sucked up all the messaging bandwidth available! As of 11 AM it was still getting messages sent at 6 AM. I had to uninstall the App to stop the alerts.

It started a few days ago when I noticed Remote S wasn't updating - just hanging with message that servers are busy. This while my Model S app worked normally.
Then my wife noticed that her Apple text messages with pics were being sent very very slowly (no problems with her WhatsApp and WeChat chats.)
Then today I get the Tesla app charging notice almost 12 hours after the fact - when in the past they were immediate.
I think AllenWong's explanation is most probably correct - Apple's servers are getting overwhelmed - perhaps by all those 13 million iPhone 6+'s delivered over the weekend.

(Apple iPhone 6 plus with iOS 9.0.1)

Yes... Notification Server

I believe the issue is related to the Tesla Servers. Apple Notifications are pretty robust. I suspect there is a delay in processing events and Tesla is not sending the request to Apple to notify our devices promptly.