Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Interview with a Danish Newspaper 9/23

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sure. while it was a general interview, it's apparent that this interview was the source of what a couple of media outlets used for sensationalized out of context headlines in the past couple of days, such as, "Big Car Companies out to Squash Tesla." Elon was asked about taking on such massive industries as the global automakers and big oil, and he said something along the lines of these large entities having their elbows out. I think the headline can give the false impression (quite possibly not by accident) that Elon was expressing concern about the potential new EVs revealed in Frankfurt a few weeks back.

sure. while it was a general interview, it's apparent that this interview was the source of what a couple of media outlets used for sensationalized out of context headlines in the past couple of days, such as, "Big Car Companies out to Squash Tesla." Elon was asked about taking on such massive industries as the global automakers and big oil, and he said something along the lines of these large entities having their elbows out. I think the headline can give the false impression (quite possibly not by accident) that Elon was expressing concern about the potential new EVs revealed in Frankfurt a few weeks back.

oh yeah, I made this connection as well when watching. I was like "wait a tick!"

Elon was talking about max possible range (aka driving at 24mph) not real-world, every-day range. They were first talking about the distance record (over 500 miles at <25mph) and Elon just kept going with that idea. Classic, terribly misquotable Elon statement.

Elon was talking about max possible range (aka driving at 24mph) not real-world, every-day range. They were first talking about the distance record (over 500 miles at <25mph) and Elon just kept going with that idea. Classic, terribly misquotable Elon statement.

Agree, very unfortunate that Elon's quote gets picked up by the media without putting what he said into context. Of course Elon doesn't help himself either. Later in the interview he said range would increase between 5 and 10% a year. First time I've heard him mention 10% which I'm sure his engineers enjoy hearing.

Agree, very unfortunate that Elon's quote gets picked up by the media without putting what he said into context. Of course Elon doesn't help himself either. Later in the interview he said range would increase between 5 and 10% a year. First time I've heard him mention 10% which I'm sure his engineers enjoy hearing.
He has mentioned 10% before, in this context:

17:30 Journalist: You mentioned that you are expection a battery pack capacity increase by 5% per year on average. Does that come per year or are you looking at certain spikes like 3 years down the road adding 15%?

17:49 Elon: I would imagine that it's roughly 5 to 10%. I wouln't imagine a 15% increase but 5 to 10% every 1 to 2 years.

The statement is sufficiently vague that anywhere between 2.5% to 10% average increase per year means the statement is accurate. He should maybe have tried to be a bit more careful in the phrasing this time around, I suspect that the above is what he meant to convey.

Last edited by a moderator: