Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SoCal Edison EV Plan start-up costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To compare my current Residential Plan with the Time-of-use plan and the EV Plan, I am asked to estimate the costs involved with the installation of the additional equipment (meter, etc.) for the EV connection. The Rate Choice Comparison Wizard from SCE assume as cost of $1,500 for equipment set up required by the EV Plan. Anyone has experience of such actual costs in the South Bay communities (Redondo, Hermosa Manhattan)?

To compare my current Residential Plan with the Time-of-use plan and the EV Plan, I am asked to estimate the costs involved with the installation of the additional equipment (meter, etc.) for the EV connection. The Rate Choice Comparison Wizard from SCE assume as cost of $1,500 for equipment set up required by the EV Plan. Anyone has experience of such actual costs in the South Bay communities (Redondo, Hermosa Manhattan)?

Doesn't answer your question directly as I opted to go whole house TOU and a solar array for the whole thing... Current whole house usage basically covered all my energy needs at home at the end of Year 1. We paid SCE approx. $200 at the end of year 2 and this past year paid $40...

I had originally calculate break-even in 5-6 years under this plan with one EV, but accelerated when we went 2 EVs... Figure I'm either at break-even or a few months from now...

I'm in Long Beach and your installer costs should be similar (my electrician does work all over the county)

I'm on PGE in Santa Cruz. All I had to do was install and extra NEMA 14-50 for 300.00. I didn't add a meter, though that is an option...at 3K for the permits and work from the pole to the house, plus new panel. I figured that my current 100AMP supply was enough as long as I charged at night, which I always do. I now pay 100.00 less per month than before I bought the car, because I timed all my power hogging equipment (hot tub, etc) to run at night. Great deal!

I'm in El Segundo and went with a two-meter plan since my residential usage is already in Tier 4. That is, my MS is on a second meter with the TOU-EV-1 rate. To do this I had to swap my main panel out which I replaced with a Siemens SP2211. The electrical material cost was ~$500 + ~100 permits etc + ancillary costs for stuff at home depot... that was about three years ago. The second meter is connected directly to a 14-50 on the interior of the garage. I did the work myself. My guess though is, with labor included, it will be a lot more than $1,500 to get a second meter installed. I'm vaguely remembering I got a quote for my installation in the $2,500 range.

you'll still need the cost of install, but this will let you see the cost difference of the various plans including that dedicated meter, sce

Using the SCE Wizard, it looks like I should stay with my current Residential Plan at 15c / kWh, any time, any day, for both generation and consumption. If I added more installation costs, the EV plan looks even worse.

SCE EV copy.png

I just call them and the nice lady went through our bill and figured the best plan for us, which is TOU-B. We're on the first month of the new plan, and so far it looks like adding a Tesla will bump up our bill by about 40%, instead of the 300% increase last month when we were at the standard tier based rate.

We've had our P85D for 2.5 months / 2,400 miles now and starting to get a handle on our Tesla's SCE costs since we installed a WattBox on our Tesla HPWC mid-August. Our monthly "household" SCE bill (i.e. before Tesla) was running $25 to $75 during SCE's Summer Discount Program (Jun - Sept) and $75 to $125 the rest of the year (Oct to May). We switched to TOU-D-B-SDP for our household use and TOU-EV-1 for our WattBox separately metered Tesla use and would love to add solar if the R.O.I. is reasonable.

What was your solar system's:

1. size? (kWh)

2. panels (watts)? (manufacturer, model, watts)

3. inverter? (manufacturer, model, watts)

4. monitoring interface? (manufacturer, model, Ethernet or WiFi connection)

5. cost? (please list your solar system's cost separately from your permit costs since they vary by municipality dramatically)

6. weaknesses? (i.e. what you'd do differently if you were doing it today)

We're fairly solar savvy since we installed an "off-grid" solar system on our RV so we could "boondock" camp for days without running our RV's noisy & smelly diesel generator. We used a SunPower E20 high efficiency panel (since roof space on our RV was VERY limited), Renogy Tracer 40A MPPT charge controller with LCD display, Midnight Solar Big Baby Box with 2 DC breakers... all connected to new dual 6V Energizer GC2 Premium 232Ah "golf cart" batteries in series. Obviously a "grid-tied" system at our house will be much larger and need DC->AC inverters, internet monitor, and grid connection which is where your experience could be invaluable.

Thanks!

2015 P85D
"Pegasus"
inventory car with every available option except 3rd row seats

WattBox digital "virtual" submeter

I got a quote of $2500 to install a pull box below my panel to intercept underground wires before my existing meter, conduit to a new meter box with breaker and 65 feet of #6 wiring to a new 14-50 outlet in the garage. Located in Huntington Beach.

You might want to consider an eMotorWerks WattBox 200 WiFi connected "virtual" submeter like we installed in August as part of SCE's PEV Pilot Program. Electric Motor Werks, Inc. - Electric Motor Werks, Inc.

Our WattBox provides us with two SCE "Service Accounts" under our "Customer Account":

home on TOU-D-B-SDP 1,043 kWh = $164 = 15.75¢ / kWh (SDP = Summer Discount Plan)

Tesla on TOU-EV-1 195 kWh = $25 = 12.86¢ / kWh

Here's our WattBox and HPWC setup:

IMG_3385.jpg

I'm nearby in Newport Coast if you want to see our Wattbox "virtual" SCE submeter first hand.

The other benefits using WattBox virtual meter and OhmConnect.com and participating in their #OhmHour program:

1. OhmConnect earned us $25 in credits in just 5 months. Not a huge amount in $$$ but a significant discount % off our Tesla electric bill (10% to 20%)

2. We also get a web portal with detailed statistics and graphs of our Tesla charging

WattBox installation was simple and fast... and might save you a LOT vs. an actual separate meter.

Other advantage of WattBox virtual meter is it's easy to go back to one meter... which might make sense if we add solar.

Last edited:
You might want to consider an eMotorWerks WattBox 200 WiFi connected "virtual" submeter like we installed in August as part of SCE's PEV Pilot Program. Electric Motor Werks, Inc. - Electric Motor Werks, Inc.

Our WattBox provides us with two SCE "Service Accounts" under our "Customer Account":

home on TOU-D-B-SDP 1,043 kWh = $164 = 15.75¢ / kWh (SDP = Summer Discount Plan)

Tesla on TOU-EV-1 195 kWh = $25 = 12.86¢ / kWh

Here's our WattBox and HPWC setup:

View attachment 107364

I'm nearby in Newport Coast if you want to see our Wattbox "virtual" SCE submeter first hand.

The other benefits using WattBox virtual meter and OhmConnect.com and participating in their #OhmHour program:

1. OhmConnect earned us $25 in credits in just 5 months. Not a huge amount in $$$ but a significant discount % off our Tesla electric bill (10% to 20%)

2. We also get a web portal with detailed statistics and graphs of our Tesla charging

WattBox installation was simple and fast... and might save you a LOT vs. an actual separate meter.

Other advantage of WattBox virtual meter is it's easy to go back to one meter... which might make sense if we add solar.

Thanks for the info.

I just changed our service from tiered billing to TOU-D-A. After an analysis of our current (pun intended) usage, it turns out that we would have paid $27 less last year under TOU-D-A than we did under Tiered rates. Super off-peak rate (10pm to 8am) on TOU-D-A is $0.12 per kWh, actually cheaper than EV rate starting in January 2016.

Still, I would like to see your Watt Box meter. Having accurate information on kWh AC purchased would be nice. As it is, I would have to try to calculate the efficiency rate of converting AC to the DC power consumption displayed on the charging screen.

Edit: Never mind. According to Motor Werks' FAQ, I would have had to have started by August 31 2015 and the program ceases "…early in 2016."

Last edited:
For me I went with Solar and TOU-B...

SunPower Solar panel @327W per panel x 16 panels. That will produce good power for me to offset the Peak Hour cost of electricity usage.
Inverter = SMA SunnyBoy TL5000 with a 97% efficiency rate of conversion between DC to AC.

DC Panel = 327w/h @ 16 panels = approx 5232 W or 5.2kwh
AC @ 97% Efficient Inverter = Approx 5075 w or 5kwh

So far during these winter months. I am averaging approx 24kw - 26kw per day, based upon the last 3 weeks average. On days I don't need to charge my car, I am hoovering 0 watt usage (+/- 3KW daily average). On the day I need to charge my vehicle, I end up paying edison at the super off peak rate.

I charge the Tesla after 10:00 PM @ 11.5c per KW. On average, I consume 30-40 KW ever other day.