Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous upgrade Canadian pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I called the Lawrence SC, to redeem part of my referral credits towards purchasing the upgrade and was told that Canadian pricing hasn't been announced yet.

I'd assumed it'd be $7500 US converted to Canadian but guess I may be wrong...

Anyone else have this convo?

Last edited:
I just had a call from the Lawrence Ave store...they advised me to place the order online through the Tesla Motors website...it appears that Tesla Motors Canada want us to order LM in this manner...done, and hope to get it installed before the snow flies!!! :biggrin::smile:

Last edited:
Hey, I did say before the snow flies...:biggrin: Looks like the timing won't work out that way...it could easily take a few months to get installed...:crying:

Yeah, 'cause there's nothing like Ludicrous acceleration on wintery roads :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

I think that Kevin in Winnipeg's case is a little different than ours though...he has no Canadian service center near him at all...we have a couple near us...I would have thought that we would have been ordering the upgrade through a Canadian service center...I guess with the dearth of info on this, or to centralize ordering / demand, they want us to order online through the Tesla store...no big deal imo, I just wanted to get in the queue...:love:

Looking at the other thread, Kevin from Winnipeg put in his reservation specifying US Service Center for install.

Hey, I did say before the snow flies...:biggrin: Looks like the timing won't work out that way...it could easily take a few months to get installed...:crying:

Back in the day, I told Eli that I really hoped I got my Sig before the snow flies. Well I did, but the first snowstorm of the year started just moments after I parked the car in my garage for the first time...

I just had a call from the Lawrence Ave store...they advised me to place the order online through the Tesla Motors website...it appears that Tesla Motors Canada want us to order LM in this manner...done, and hope to get it installed before the snow flies!!! :biggrin::smile:

Thanks for the update Jaff!
I'll order mine tonight...

I assume the option to order on the website is only available to P85D customers?

I want the range upgrade but not ludicrous speed. Anybody got any info on getting a battery upgrade in Canada?

I don't think they are offering any battery upgrades at all at this point. Probably not for a few years at least.

You can definitely retrofit cars, as I remember Elon's comment about it only being worth the investment if you regularly use your full range in an 85kWh car.

The only real questions that remain are: What will it cost in Canada? and Is it only for dual-motor cars?

Last edited:
Yes, I'm fairly certain the "L" upgrade is for P85D original owners...sorry, I'm not looking at the battery upgrade, so I have no info on this.

Thought you had to get the battery upgraded to 90 first in order to get the L upgrade???

If you upgrade to 90 kWh, then in about 50,000 km you will be back to 85 again...

Maybe @artsci could develop a digital readout to replace the chrome "85" badge on the back of my car to show actual battery capacity :biggrin:

Thought you had to get the battery upgraded to 90 first in order to get the L upgrade???
No battery upgrade involved.
The (now) 7500$US L upgrade is opening up your existing 85kWh battery pack, changing contactors and the big axx fuse and putting all this back in proper order in your car along with a firmware update.

Elon mentioned that upgrading battery packs is typically not 'a good investment' for small increments like 85 to 90 and he suggested waiting out a couple of years before considering a battery upgrade... and even then it won't be given away.
Look at the roadster's battery upgrade price: 29K$US after quite a few years.

I believe battery upgrade prices will remain high for some time and will probably be only worthwhile when your current battery is almost dead or significantly degraded that you can't drive to work anymore with it...at least until they ramped up significantly production at the Gigafactory!...and even then model S and roadster pack will always be a big piece of hardware to swap out! :smile:

No battery upgrade involved.
The (now) 7500$US L upgrade is opening up your existing 85kWh battery pack, changing contactors and the big axx fuse and putting all this back in proper order in your car along with a firmware update.

I was going from this on the web site, but perhaps that is for new purchases only. I figured they needed the bigger battery to deliver more power. Presumably a P90D with Ludicrous would be faster than a P85D with Ludicrous.

Ludicrous.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, I see L is available for the P85D but just not as quick as the 90:

10-6-2015 1-55-16 PM.jpg

If you upgrade to 90 kWh, then in about 50,000 km you will be back to 85 again...

That seems acceptable. Doubtful I would keep the car much longer than that anyway.

Maybe @artsci could develop a digital readout to replace the chrome "85" badge on the back of my car to show actual battery capacity :biggrin:

Would this be manually adjusted or remotely connect to the car's computer? It would be cool to get a "live" reading.

Speaking of...When you get a battery upgrade, will Tesla change out the badging on the car? And will the graphics in the displays reflect this change? It would be cool to have the world's first (only?) P90+.

I believe battery upgrade prices will remain high for some time and will probably be only worthwhile when your current battery is almost dead or significantly degraded that you can't drive to work anymore with it...

...Or you regularly run up against the range limits of the car (as I do).