Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Atlanta to Charlotte, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first post !! We are driving this weekend in our model S (85 battery) from Atlanta to Charlotte and want to know if anyone has made it from Atlanta to Charlotte on a full charge. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,
Derrick

I am back from my Atlanta - Charolotte trip. The trip was 250 miles from my house to the supercharger in Charlotte. We charged the car on the max trip setting and got about 259 rated miles. On the way there, I drove on average around 65 mph with the Climate OFF the majority of the way. It was raining just about the whole way there. I made it with 5 miles to spare but I never 'fell behind' in terms of how many miles I had left to drive and how many 'rated miles' I had..

On the return trip, it only rained about a quarter of the way and we averaged about 70mph. We had the Climate OFF about one third of the time. We made it home with 2 miles left. What was very useful was seeing the Projected Miles (I think by pressing the Energy icon) and whenever the Rated Miles was about the same or less than the miles left to our destination, I switched off the Climate and slowed to around 55-60 mph. The impact of doing this on the Projected miles was pretty drastic so that when we had 50 miles left to go and we had 51 rated miles, I knew we were in good shape because I could slow down and gain a few extra miles if I needed to.

The GPS kept insisting that we deviate from our route and get the car charged at a third party charger. Purplewalt, thanks for your post. Glad I attempted to make it on a single charge even tho I caused the wife a few anxiety attacks. Interestingly I met someone at the Charlotte supercharger who had decided not to chance it and was going to charge his car on the way in Greenville. Bottom line: Tesla needs to add a supercharger in Greenville. So many folks take trips on the 85 and for there to be so few superchargers is a head scratcher.

Bottom line: Tesla needs to add a supercharger in Greenville. So many folks take trips on the 85 and for there to be so few superchargers is a head scratcher.

No need to scratch your head. There is a huge history here, including the abandonment of a supercharger site under construction in Greenville due to a lawsuit, with more twists than a soap opera. Something like Homer's Odyssey but different. See Greenville Supercharger here:

Supercharger - Greenville, SC

@dexgreen
Congrats on making the trip without any charging stops and Climate Control.
I agree, a quick sip at a Greenville Supercharger would have made the trip a lot less dramatic.
So you are now officially the newest member of the "single digit club" -- drivers who arrive with less than 10 rated miles.

By simply slowing down a couple (2-3) of mph on your trips, you could have still made your destination, and maybe even left the Climate Control ON.
But then what's the fun of a story without just a little drama?
(Take it easy on your wife, she might not enjoy the "single digit" arrivals as much as you do....)