Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to install HPWC in Rock Springs and Rawlins Wyoming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Tesla for 6 months now and love it. Living in Riverton Wyoming I'm considering using the referral credits I have to buy some HPWC's. I would try find some spots to place them around Wyoming in locations that aren't getting Superchargers before the snow hits.

If I don't use the AC, or Heat and drive 55PHM in an 80MPH I can make it to Cheyenne without charging, Or a can stop at an RV Park for a hour or two mid trip. I'm afraid of the RV parks closing for the winter and the lower range in cold weather. I make a trip or two a month either to Denver or Salt lake.

I have sent out emails to the destination charging team and supercharger team and at this point they aren't planning anything until at some time next year.

I would be willing to pay the monthly fee and an electrical hookup somewhere in Rawlins or Laramie and in Rock Springs or Evanston, if I could find some land to rent or parking lot by a restaurant.

I don't want to go back to driving and ICE for the winter. What do you think is the best way of finding locations to rent? Craigslist? News Papers?

Pox, have you considered speaking to the general managers at the better motels? Perhaps your offer of supplying the equipment and a few bucks each time you plug in might be enough to persuade them to consider installing a couple. Show them PlugShare and also maybe try to convince them to publicize the HPWC on their webpage.

Also, how about contacting the building maintenance or security at UW in Laramie? They might be receptive since it is an educational institution. Maybe there is a community college in Rock Springs or Green River that would facilitate it as well.

I am not the most savvy marketing type, so consider the source! Good luck, and keep us posted! :smile:

I would talk to managers of hotels and restaurants until you find one willing to host a HPWC in their parking lot. If you provide the HPWC and pay for the install, you probably will find some that would pay for the electricity.

Ohters on the forum have done this, such as Nigel, Bonnie, and several more. I haven't tried myself yet, but they are an inspiration.

GSP

CPA, good suggestions. I'm going to Vegas next weekend, I'll try and stop buy few places and ask for the GM's or at least there contact information and see it there is any interest. I'm thinking smaller locally owned places might have the best luck if there are fewer decision makers. Good thinking about the Colleges, I wonder about libraries? Most libraries in Colorado have Level 2 chargers, I wonder if talking with the counties in wyoming about setting up some. Might need to be high amp J1772 or both to get government support.

Pox, have you considered speaking to the general managers at the better motels? Perhaps your offer of supplying the equipment and a few bucks each time you plug in might be enough to persuade them to consider installing a couple. Show them PlugShare and also maybe try to convince them to publicize the HPWC on their webpage.

Also, how about contacting the building maintenance or security at UW in Laramie? They might be receptive since it is an educational institution. Maybe there is a community college in Rock Springs or Green River that would facilitate it as well.

I am not the most savvy marketing type, so consider the source! Good luck, and keep us posted! :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

I the highest cost to me would be the install, if I can find a place with parking close to the main breaker that might help.

I was starting to think I might be better off setup up some high amp chargepoint J1772 around the state in places that Tesla has no plans. Then I could charge a few bucks to help pay for the electrical and pay back on the install and charger. Then I looked a the pricing and starting prices of 5K for level 2 or 15k for CHadMo stations. I don't think I would make any money back until there are more EV driver in the state. Maybe when the cheaper long range EV's come out like the Model 3 and Chevy Volt.

I would talk to managers of hotels and restaurants until you find one willing to host a HPWC in their parking lot. If you provide the HPWC and pay for the install, you probably will find some that would pay for the electricity.

Ohters on the forum have done this, such as Nigel, Bonnie, and several more. I haven't tried myself yet, but they are an inspiration.

GSP

I just thought of the Sun Country Highway people.

Electric Vehicle (EV) Products and Services | Sun Country Highway

They have been very proactive in getting high-amp public charging stations all across Canada, and in the Western States. They might have some persuasive information that could be communicated to a few motels/hotels or the colleges.

Since Wyoming is mostly a wasteland (no disrespect!) for EV charging, they might have some interest if they had a point man like you who is more familiar with the landscape.

Okay,

I tried emailing the destination charging group again to see what the current Tesla plans are, It didn't sound promising. Looks like they need help contacting locations and people to speak and email them if they are needing charging in southern Wyoming.
On my next trip I'm going to check and try to talk with as many mangers as I can and see what I can come up with. Has Tesla ever worked with Cities or Parks on putting in chargers?

"If you are familiar with any property owners at the viable locations along this route of I-80, please feel free to make some introductions for us and we can share our program’s details. We do not currently have any Destination Charging sites along this particular stretch of highway and it’s hard to say when we will shipping to a site there, as there have not been many inbound requests from southern Wyoming lately. The sites that we do have coming live soon are located further north than the I-80 route.

Again, feel free to send over information for contacts that are interested in our program along this route and we are happy to reach out."

Just and update. Winter sucked. Rock Springs KOA isn't very good. The end of summer they were always full and I couldn't charge on two trips in a row. Then they started charging from me a full $47.47 night's say instead of $10 the owner had been charging me. I made little hand outs about the destination program and spoke with about 8 hotel manager around Wyoming. Most of them were nice and said they were interested and would give Tesla a call. So far no Destination chargers at any of these locations. Tesla and Hilton did managed to place 40 amp chargers in my town of Riverton and Casper. Both the hotels and and Telsa don't seem to interested in getting 80amp charging installed. So I'm giving up hope on Destination charging getting anything done before next winter and now looking placing my own 80amp chargers where I need them. Just placed an ad on craigs list Electric Car Charging Spot

Last edited:
Reactions: tmoz and Fiver
Kudos to you, pox. Keep us in the loop concerning your progress; will you be making these chargers available to other owners? I'd be willing to donate a few bucks toward your expenses, or pay a fee for use.

Kudos to you, pox. Keep us in the loop concerning your progress; will you be making these chargers available to other owners? I'd be willing to donate a few bucks toward your expenses, or pay a fee for use.

Thanks steve,

I still have referral credit to buy about 2 High Power Wall Chargers, I wouldn't mind some help covering the install costs. It all depends on what the landowners are wanting out of the deal. Right now I'm proposing to pay $25 a month to let me place a charger on there proprietary and posting it on plugshare for anyone to use if they donate $10 to the landowner per charge.

Just and update. Winter sucked. Rock Springs KOA isn't very good. The end of summer they were always full and I couldn't charge on two trips in a row. Then they started charging from me a full $47.47 night's say instead of $10 the owner had been charging me. I made little hand outs about the destination program and spoke with about 8 hotel manager around Wyoming. Most of them were nice and said they were interested and would give Tesla a call. So far no Destination chargers at any of these locations. Tesla and Hilton did managed to place 40 amp chargers in my town of Riverton and Casper. Both the hotels and and Telsa don't seem to interested in getting 80amp charging installed. So I'm giving up hope on Destination charging getting anything done before next winter and now looking placing my own 80amp chargers where I need them. Just placed an ad on craigs list Electric Car Charging Spot

Have you had any experience with the chargers located at the Hiltons in Casper and Riverton? The supercharger website indicates the Riverton one is available for public use, but there is no info on the one in Casper.

We are planning to drive a Model X from Boulder, CO to Jackson, WY in June and are currently planning to drive Boulder - Cheyenne (supercharger) - Casper (stay the night, use charger) - Riverton (use charger for a boost) - Jackson. However, we'd like to get to Jackson early on the second day of travel, so it would be more convenient to drive as far as possible the first day and stay in Riverton, but we would need to charge in Casper.

Good news in that Rock Springs SC has shown up as under construction.
In August, I'd like to drive through Southern Wyoming on I80, but would really like to get another 25 miles of charge in Rawlins or there about. I don't see any charging opportunities there. Does anyone know of 240 outlets that would be available in that area?
Thanks
supercharge.info