Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Falcon Wing doors start to irritate you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dutchie

Jun 9, 2013
Canada
I saw the video of the falcon wing doors closing. It take more than three seconds I think. I think it will start to irritate as - when you have the children finally sitting in the backseat - you just want to go. In ordinary cars you can do that. Slam the doors closed and go. With the falcon wing doors, you have to wait and wait until the mechanism finally closes.

Any other thoughts about that?

I saw the video of the falcon wing doors closing. It take more than three seconds I think. I think it will start to irritate as - when you have the children finally sitting in the backseat - you just want to go. In ordinary cars you can do that. Slam the doors closed and go. With the falcon wing doors, you have to wait and wait until the mechanism finally closes.

I think they're going to be about the same speed as the automated minivan doors I've seen. Also, anything is faster than waiting for my 5 year old to try and close the door of the Yukon when we're on a slight sideways hill. ;)

Also, I think it's pretty obvious that the doors in the video weren't working like Tesla wants them to.

Assuming there is a button on the inside of the door frame to touch to start the closing process, I think that by the time I hit that, open my door, get in, close my door and buckle, that the falcon wings will be closed. I'm more concerned about being annoyed by the time to open when I'm in a hurry and just want to grab my bag out of the back seat or something. I'm assuming the opening speed will be something like the rear hatch on the Model S. Slowish if you're in a rush, find if you have a little patience.

If you don't have 3 seconds to spare you obviously don't have children.

- father of 3

(Also I think it would take me >3 seconds to go around the car, get in the driver's seat, fasten my seat belt and get going)

As if Elon had not thought about it ! The guy has 5 children and is always in a hurry. So of course the model X touch screen will offer you the possibility to choose between two settings : "Open The Door Of Your Mind To Buddha" (an appropriate Tibetan music will be played for 30 seconds) and "Slam Shut, Yo!" (with Ali G shouting "In your face, biatch!" through the speakers at maximum volume).

Last edited:
If you don't have 3 seconds to spare you obviously don't have children.

- father of 3

(Also I think it would take me >3 seconds to go around the car, get in the driver's seat, fasten my seat belt and get going)

Agreed. As a father of two and a minivan owner (in addition to my MS) the doors are very convenient in that you can start closing them while you get in the car, buckle up, etc. Very convenient.

Once our four kids are buckled in, I take my seat and close all open doors using the dedicated button near the sunglasses holder above the center console for the side and tailgate. By the time my seat belt is fastened and in Drive, all doors are closed and ready to go. We have Costco runs down to a science. The sliding doors and power tailgate have been a dream for this family of 6. No issues so far except for the occasional Ipad/Doll/Shoe blocking the door from closing which can ruin the whole process. I expect the falcon doors to be just as functional. Our sliding doors have never been an issue for us with Snow even with 8-10", Falcons are still an unknown on this. 60000 miles and countless opening/closing on the Town&Country and never had an issue with the power doors/tailgate, knock on wood. I don't see how parents do without out.

As if Elon had not thought about it ! The guy has 5 children and is always in a hurry. So of course the model X touch screen will offer you the possibility to choose between two settings : "Open The Door Of Your Mind To Buddha" (an appropriate Tibetan music will be played for 30 seconds) and "Slam Shut, Yo!" (with Ali G shouting "In your face, biatch!" through the speakers at maximum volume).

:biggrin:

I find it funny how much debate there is about these doors when everyone is yet to use them and experience living with them in real life.

I saw a good bumper sticker once, I think it was directed at religious people but works here too. It read:

Militant agnostic. I don't know, and you don't either!

I saw the video and thought, "man, that was fast!" My wife saw the video and said, "cool!"

I'll take mine without the final tap... you know, the production version.

But you know who the doors will really irritate? Ford, VW, BMW, GM, Volvo, Porsche, Chrysler, etc., etc.

-CB