Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Website Updated: 1/4 Mile Difference between P85D Ludicrous and P90D Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

commasign

TeslaAdviceBlog.com
Aug 31, 2013
Davis, CA
Just noticed that the Tesla website was updated as follows:

• [*=left]3.1 seconds 0-60 mph
    2.8 seconds 0-60 mph with Ludicrous Speed Upgrade
    [*=left]10.9 seconds ¼ mile with Ludicrous Speed and Range Upgrade

This strongly implies that a P85D with Ludicrous Speed Upgrade will NOT hit 10.9 seconds. Also leads to some interesting possibilities for P95D, P100D, etc., in terms of mid-10 second quarter miles.​

Cool, so they're claiming no performance disadvantage to the P90D+L.

Do you have a link?

- - - Updated - - -

Whoops. Missed the part about *and* range upgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

I found it. This is the spec for the P90DL only so nothing new. You can't order new with Ludicrous only. You have to get the range upgrade too so they're just specing 10.9 seconds when you order the L and range upgrade. This is not the same as saying the a P85D retrofit won't perform the same.

I found it. This is the spec for the P90DL only so nothing new. You can't order new with Ludicrous only. You have to get the range upgrade too so they're just specing 10.9 seconds when you order the L and range upgrade. This is not the same as saying the a P85D retrofit won't perform the same.

But the 0-60 time does not mention the range upgrade, so it feels to me like it's saying both can achieve the 0-60 time but only a factory P90D+L can achieve the 1/4 mile time.

I think this confirms what Elon hinted at on the conference call that the ludicrous speed upgrade is almost (but not completely) independent of the battery pack upgrade. So most likely a P85D retrofitted with ludicrous speed will have quarter mile times of 11.0-11.2 seconds. Still good, but not sub-11.

While I always suspected that the P85D with retrofitted Ludicrous would be slightly slower than P90D Ludicrous, if I remember correctly, it is not possible to configure a P85D Ludicrous from the factory.

While I always suspected that the P85D with retrofitted Ludicrous would be slightly slower than P90D Ludicrous, if I remember correctly, it is not possible to configure a P85D Ludicrous from the factory.

If I'm not mistaken, every 90 kWh battery is of the same type and hence contains the better Inconel contactors and electronic fuse. From a logistics standpoint this makes it easier for Tesla to manage inventory. I believe it would make a lot of sense for Tesla to change the battery when upgrading a P85D to Ludicrous mode in stead of opening the 85 kWh pack to install other hardware. Maybe this is what's taking them so long to decide to roll out the upgrade. There are multiple options to choose from...

Just noticed that the Tesla website was updated as follows:

• [*=left]3.1 seconds 0-60 mph
    2.8 seconds 0-60 mph with Ludicrous Speed Upgrade
    [*=left]10.9 seconds ¼ mile with Ludicrous Speed and Range Upgrade

This strongly implies that a P85D with Ludicrous Speed Upgrade will NOT hit 10.9 seconds. Also leads to some interesting possibilities for P95D, P100D, etc., in terms of mid-10 second quarter miles.​

I don't know if we can conclude this. You can't order a P85D with Ludicrous so it's just as reasonable to assume the difference in the bullets is just a typo. I think it's another Tesla "non-fact" that we need to see borne out by actual P85DL results in a few months.