Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Ludicrous Pre-Order Upgrade Available 9/25/15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Direct link: Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters LUDICROUS MODE ONLY (P85D) - PRE ORDER DEPOSIT

Things change on the TM site often, so here's what it looks like now ($7500 total)

9596230342.jpg

This answers the question I had re: badging. I was wondering if they got an L or what.

Also odd the deposit is non-refundable.

P85D ludicrous mode pre-order now online

Tesla is now accepting pre-order deposits for P85D ludicrous mode upgrades.

Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters LUDICROUS MODE ONLY (P85D) - PRE ORDER DEPOSIT

Retrofit your existing P85D from “INSANE” to “LUDICROUS”-level performance. This upgrade represents a significant increase in power over the already insane P85D.

The LUDICROUS speed option will be available as a retrofit to all P85D customers with original vehicle orders placed before 11am PST Friday 7/17. These cars will receive updated badging to P85D where the underline denotes the ludicrous upgrade.

*Customers are encouraged to pre-order the option. The pre-order will be registered in our system for logistic planning and priority listing once the deposit payment is transacted. The retrofit will be made available initially in Fremont to begin in the Q4 time frame. Additional Service Center hubs for the retrofit will be rolled out shortly after. Please note that the preferred Service Center you selected may not be prioritized as one of the hubs. Customers have the option to change your retrofit location once the list of Retrofit Service Centers are announced. The deposit amount will be applied to the final price of the retrofit at the Service Center when the installation is scheduled.

Edit: Ooops, it looks like I missed the other thread.

Last edited:
The price isn't the half of it.

This says that anyone who ordered prior to the announcement is eligible.

I don't know about the US, but in the UK anyone who had a P85D reservation in the build queue but who hadn't commenced production was called up by Tesla Inside Sales who told them that they were not eligible for the retrofit, and that the only way to get ludicrous in their car would be to reconfigure it to be a P90DL by paying full price for ludicrous, taking a pack upgrade they might not have wanted, re-pricing the rest of their order to current design studio pricing, and potentially losing access to certain discontinued options as well.

So if you're a UK reservation holder who placed your P85D order in February 2015, but whose car was still not in production by July (which it wouldn't have been due to long RHD production delays), and you chose to reconfigure since you were told that was the only way, then you've had to pay £8300 for ludicrous, £2500 for the bigger pack, reconfiguring to new pricing probably added another £2000 or so given UK price movement earlier in the year, you lost your second charger, your next-gen or executive rear seats, and had to switch from "old blue" to "new blue".

But now it turns out you could have just kept the car you actually ordered and had the fuse retrofit after all.

Is that excrement I see flying towards the air blower?

The price isn't the half of it.

This says that anyone who ordered prior to the announcement is eligible.

I don't know about the US, but in the UK anyone who had a P85D reservation in the build queue but who hadn't commenced production was called up by Tesla Inside Sales who told them that they were not eligible for the retrofit, and that the only way to get ludicrous in their car would be to reconfigure it to be a P90DL by paying full price for ludicrous, taking a pack upgrade they might not have wanted, re-pricing the rest of their order to current design studio pricing, and potentially losing access to certain discontinued options as well.

So if you're a UK reservation holder who placed your P85D order in February 2015, but whose car was still not in production by July (which it wouldn't have been due to long RHD production delays), and you chose to reconfigure since you were told that was the only way, then you've had to pay £8300 for ludicrous, £2500 for the bigger pack, reconfiguring to new pricing probably added another £2000 or so given UK price movement earlier in the year, you lost your second charger, your next-gen or executive rear seats, and had to switch from "old blue" to "new blue".

But now it turns out you could have just kept the car you actually ordered and had the fuse retrofit after all.

Is that excrement I see flying towards the air blower?
FWIW, the link also says, "North America market only. Details for the Europe market, please contact: [email protected]."

Perhaps next time you Brits will think twice about taxation without representation.

Considering I have 2 Xes on order, (Both for business, but I will be driving them for a few months while waiting for DMV, I think I'm going to forego this P85D upgrade.

If it had come out a month or so ago, I would've done it, but realistically with Q4 in Fremont and then other locations "shortly thereafter", I don't like my chances of getting it before my X.

And realistically, I don't know how much resale value it'll add to the vehicle, apart from someone looking to add it in the future shortly after purchase.