Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to remove the Roadster's foot rest?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

benji4

Roadster 2.5 #0476
Nov 7, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the Roadster's foot rest, and has anyone tried? The foot well is already pretty narrow on the left side, and the foot rest really just makes it worse. I'd be much happier if it just was not there in the first place and I could stretch my left leg out a bit more.... (I'm about 6'3"... 6'5" guys must really be hurting!)

Stronger attachment with rivets
How to reattach dead pedal? (pics) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

135480d1254788325-how-reattach-dead-pedal-pics-footrest2.jpg

With extra rivets added to make it stronger (for those who don't want it to come off):
135863d1255139850-how-reattach-dead-pedal-pics-deadpedal.jpg

"Dead pedal", so that's what it's called. That better describes the feeling of one's leg after using it for a couple hours! Looking at the picture above, it seems like the side of the footwell curves back around under the dead pedal, so maybe removing it would not provide much of a place to extend one's leg either.

I just went to the dealer today to ask if they could take it out for me and they are going to look into it. Here is the really interesting thing -- since this is Japan most of the cars are RHD (mine is a European spec LHD model), and it turns out that the RHDs don't even have a dead pedal. Some Japanese customers want one, however, as there are a lot of shorter drivers here, and Tesal actually is making one now for the RHD cars. The other thing I noticed about the RHD demo car I looked at today is that the right leg actually has a bit less room than with the LHD car since the foot well is slightly deeper in the center of the car. Anyway, I'll be in good shape once I figure out how to get the dead pedal out, it doesn't look like it's required at all since the RHD cars don't even have one.

Reactions: beachmiles
I ordered the footrest for the RHD model after trying it on a demo car... Unfortunately, after using it for a week, I've realized that it is a bit too big for my taste. I'm 191 cm, and I could previously put my foot flat against the kick plate if I slouched down slightly in the seat. With the footrest installed, my left leg is forced up at about the same angle as my right leg when resting on the accelerator pedal. Tesla also supplies a modified floor mat to accommodate the foot rest. I'll take a photo later and post it.

I have just had the RHD foot rest fitted - I will be collecting the car on Tuesday so will let you know what I think. I had it fitted with the explicit proviso that it can be removed if not wanted. I was told that UK Tesla staff who drive long distances in the Roadster love it.

Guess my Dad was wrong all these years - it is good to be average sometimes. I'm 5'9" and all the ergonomics of the Roadster fit me perfectly - steering wheel position, I can read all the gauges, dead pedal is in the right place....

Do you really gain much space if any by removing the dead pedal. At 6'2" it isn't comfortable for long drives, but I find, as others have indicated, that I can get my left foot past the dead pedal and comfortably place my left foot on the firewall without interfering with the brake pedal. It doesn't look to me that I would gain any additional flat space on the fire wall by removing the foot rest on my 2008 Roadster.

Do you really gain much space if any by removing the dead pedal. At 6'2" it isn't comfortable for long drives, but I find, as others have indicated, that I can get my left foot past the dead pedal and comfortably place my left foot on the firewall without interfering with the brake pedal. It doesn't look to me that I would gain any additional flat space on the fire wall by removing the foot rest on my 2008 Roadster.

Personally my legs really like stretching out to their maximum extent. So I always hate those faux pedals that just restrict my legroom.

I have tried sticking my foot behind the dead pedal, and I don't feel comfortable with that. It feels a bit trapped. I doubt it would interfere with the brake, but it feels like it might.

Yes, my foot does feel a little trapped when I push my foot past the dead pedal, but I have gotten use to it. Maybe getting rid of the dead pedal would allow you to feel less trapped back there. I tend to use the dead pedal sometimes too, just to have another position for my foot to move to when I start needing to change positions.

The dead pedal cannot be easily removed. It is bonded in place and requires cutting to be removed.

I have driven without the dead pedal and if you are over six feet tall it is definitely favorable. Just stretch your leg out and use the chassis as a footrest. Just make sure the cutaway section is free from any barbs that might get you.

Zak

If I did this right, the first photo shows the footrest from near the seat, the second is closer and reveals socket head cap screws! Perhaps only screws are used on the newest 2.5s but I was told there's glue, so possibly both. But it looks somewhat removable, huh? I wish I could move it back a couple of inches and change the angle (tilt the top back). It looks somewhat possible... I'll ask my machinist friend.

on edit: Sorry the pics are sideways... product of using the iPhone camera vertically, I guess.

Attachments

• photo-75.JPG
    photo-75.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 96
  • photo-76.JPG
    photo-76.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 91