Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to modify the navigation generated route?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, I live in NJ and commute to CT to work. The navigation on my model S always routes me via GW bridge which it predicts will take ~50 minutes (about 35 miles). But in reality it ALWAYS takes at least 15-20 minutes longer during rush hours as the traffic at GW bridge is just a nightmare.
An alternative route is to cross the Tappan-Zee bridge further north and detour back down. This route is ~ 10 miles longer but it has been proven to be a faster route. I know the current navigation does not support manually setting 'way points' as you can on Google Map, but is there any practical workaround to fulfill my purpose here? I mean I must not be the only one with similar needs. How do you guys do this?

No. You can't modify the route. If you drive the correct route, the Nav system will eventually catch up. As far as I can tell the order of precedence is:

1. Toll roads. (It seems to go out of the way to put you on a toll road)
2. Freeways.
3. Avoid traffic jams. (Unfortunately, it doesn't indicate that there is a traffic jam, so you can't tell if it's doing this or one of the other things.
4. Oddities. Sometimes it will route you off and back on a freeway even though traffic flow is category A.

No. You can't modify the route. If you drive the correct route, the Nav system will eventually catch up. As far as I can tell the order of precedence is:

1. Toll roads. (It seems to go out of the way to put you on a toll road)
2. Freeways.
3. Avoid traffic jams. (Unfortunately, it doesn't indicate that there is a traffic jam, so you can't tell if it's doing this or one of the other things.
4. Oddities. Sometimes it will route you off and back on a freeway even though traffic flow is category A.

1. UNLESS there's a free road right next to the toll road (we have 4 free lanes and 2 paid lanes on one of our highways here), if I take the paid lanes, it ALWAYS tried to get me off and going with traffic on the free lanes.

Long story short, I live in NJ and commute to CT to work. The navigation on my model S always routes me via GW bridge which it predicts will take ~50 minutes (about 35 miles). But in reality it ALWAYS takes at least 15-20 minutes longer during rush hours as the traffic at GW bridge is just a nightmare.
An alternative route is to cross the Tappan-Zee bridge further north and detour back down. This route is ~ 10 miles longer but it has been proven to be a faster route. I know the current navigation does not support manually setting 'way points' as you can on Google Map, but is there any practical workaround to fulfill my purpose here? I mean I must not be the only one with similar needs. How do you guys do this?

I'm not trying to be facetious with this question, but what are you trying to use the navigation system for on your route to work? In other words, what are you trying to accomplish?

I ask because in a similar situation, if I was trying to use the nav to get somewhere that I didn't know the directions for once I got close, but did know how I wanted to start out, I'd just enter the address, ignore the nav until I got close, and then use the nav. (I have done this.) On the other hand, if, say, I knew I wanted to take the Tappan Zee, but wasn't sure hot to get there, but knew how to get where I was going once I got to the Tappan Zee, I'd just set the Tappan Zee as my destination.

Neither of these options work if your reason for wanting to use nav to get to work involves wanting to have it help you avoid traffic or wanting to use if for efficiency planning, etc.

As a general rule, I almost never use the Nav system.

I understand your point. I should and will memorize the route enough, but I was just wondering how much help I could get from the stock navigation before then.
I think what I will do is to still set the work address as destination, but will ignore the nav until I get to the Tappan Zee bridge and follow the auto corrected route to work.

I understand your point. I should and will memorize the route enough, but I was just wondering how much help I could get from the stock navigation before then.
I think what I will do is to still set the work address as destination, but will ignore the nav until I get to the Tappan Zee bridge and follow the auto corrected route to work.

Yes, you basically have to choose.

The nav does let you save multiple locations, though, so it might be simple enough to initially navigate to the Tappan Zee Bridge, and then once you are on it, or close to it, just switch and navigate to your saved work address.

Reactions: JHWJR
Just install Waze on your smartphone and be done with the on-board nav for now. Waze isn't $ 100 either, it's 100% free.
Someday Tesla Motors will get their act together and that's when you can consider to switch back.

The built in nav app is terrible. Some of the backroads I take, where all the roads are comparable 2 lane Hwy's, with really no traffic, it almost ALWAYS routes me a much longer way that necessary. Sometimes going way out of the way. It makes no sense. Drive further, take longer on similar or worse roads.

WAZE app is awesome. I wish the Tesla/Google nav was Waze instead

Whenever I see this, I wonder what crummy dedicated GPS you people used before Waze or Google Maps nav. to make you think these apps are good nav tools. (Crowd-sourced info notwithstanding, of course)

If the the nav in Google Maps tells me one more time when I'm lost to "go south" at the next road, I might throw it out the window! Heck, if I knew which way was south, I probably wouldn't need the nav!

This discussion comes up many times here and it shows how many people are unhappy with the built in navigation compared to what is available.

Many say what do you need navigation for when I know how to get there. That way of thinking is 20 years behind times! I turn on Waze every time on routes I know very well because Waze knows of things I have no way of knowing. It knows of traffic, of accidents, it constantly updates hazards on roads, police and other things. Things change in real time thus you need a navigation system that adjust in real time. The only way it works is when people are using it. It's far more than finding my way.

I get that in rural areas where there is really only one road to get to a certain place, a navigation system can't do much. But in any city suburbs it's extremely useful. Here in LA I go to the same places all the time and Waze finds different ways to get there depending on all the data it has. So many times has it saved me from being stuck behind an accident or closed road.

I wish I could add waypoints to the nav route. Maybe someday. The one thing I do like about the nav though is that it gives a pretty good ETA. So even if you ignore the original routing and take your alternate route, once the nav corrects the route, it will take the traffic into account and give a pretty decent estimate of arrival time.

I'm not trying to be facetious with this question, but what are you trying to use the navigation system for on your route to work? In other words, what are you trying to accomplish?
I almost ALWAYS use the nav to go to work because there are two very different highway routes that are pretty much a wash unless there is an accident or traffic. The GPS knows about those and I don't. I ignore it at my peril. It also predicts reasonably well my arrival time whichever way it routes me, and I like knowing that.