Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

drivers seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you mean "Recaro"?
Presumably. Further, they were actually a joint effort with Recaro, not just a knock-off created by some other vendor.

In any case, yes, you can have the Next-Gen seats retrofitted. Supposedly that effort has begun, according to posts I've seen elsewhere. The cost is ~$5k-$6k, if I recall, which includes both front seats, new mounting rails due to the altered seating position, airbags, etc.

Presumably. Further, they were actually a joint effort with Recaro, not just a knock-off created by some other vendor.

In any case, yes, you can have the Next-Gen seats retrofitted. Supposedly that effort has begun, according to posts I've seen elsewhere. The cost is ~$5k-$6k, if I recall, which includes both front seats, new mounting rails due to the altered seating position, airbags, etc.

According to a factory tour they are still made by futuris

Were they? I asked this question because I thought the same thing. I was told they are "recaro-style"
They were, and at one point Tesla touted that fact on their website and window stickers. It was taken down relatively quickly after the airbag issues with the seats stymied early P85D deliveries, resulting in many of the vehicles needing to be reverted to the old seats.

It may be after that they took production away from Recaro, and Recaro responding by asserting that Tesla can't call them Recaros if they're made by someone else.

But that's all speculation.

thanks to everyone for their responses.
is anybody aware of any AFTER market seats that could be retro fitted into the ca?
I would only do the drivers side and haven't a reason to shoulder the expense of doing the Tesla mega buck change.

thanks to everyone for their responses.
is anybody aware of any AFTER market seats that could be retro fitted into the ca?
I would only do the drivers side and haven't a reason to shoulder the expense of doing the Tesla mega buck change.

I saw some pix floating around here, or somewhere on the interweb... some guy fitting air-cooled seats from a BMW (7 series I think) into Model S.

The headrests looked so out of place, having those two chrome bars running up holding the sides of the headrest. Looked so 1975 but to each his own.

Really, it's not going to be that hard to take any seat you like from a similarly sized car... but you're going to have to get adapter plates made at a fab shop.
Getting all the electrical right... is up to you. If you stick to a manually controlled seat replacement, then who cares. Right?

What model of Easy Boy do you think works best?:tongue:

I was told that next gen cannot simply be bolted in. For those d cars that had temporary seats, that was a different deal. The software was already programmed for next gen. Bear in mind there is a sensor there to detect when you are sitting in the seat, otherwise the car won't turn on.