Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi - I'm new. Am I nut for considering a Model S??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a geek. I've worked in technology forever. I have had all kinds of computers and gadgets from my childhood to adulthood. I'm also into cars and own two supercharged vehicles. It's a shame the drag strip closed, but what can you do? Naturally, a Tesla being what it is .... it's a given I'm drawn to it. I want one. It's cool. It whines.. in a good way. I refuse to test drive a Tesla because I know what'll happen. I will wait until I close on a house before I open that can of worms... but I'm still questioning my sanity. Is the Model S as cool as it sounds? Is it worth the money? I keep asking myself these questions. But it gets complicated...

I have no where to drive. I work at home! Yeah, there's the occasional run to the store or the weekend drive, but no commute. I take the SO's car out once a week to Costco but I wouldn't take the MS there because I'm mainly going... to get gas!

Logical me says it's dumb to spend $100k on transportation when you have 2 paid off cars and have no where to go.

Techie me says "Order it online already!"

What do? Anyone else have no where to go but bought a MS anyway? Did you find places to go? Get a new job with a commute? :biggrin:

Welcome! It is a very cool car. It being worth the money is subjective and an obviously luxury since you don't even have a normal commute. You still need a car but sounds like you are fine with the cars you have that are paid off. That said, you wouldn't have to go for the $100,000 version to be happy with the car and is closer to $80,000. Don't forget try $7,500 federal tax credit too. The 70D still has around a 240 mile range. With Superchargers it's still possible to easily travel with it. If you get it you'll definitely start finding places to travel to.

I'm a geek. I've worked in technology forever. I have had all kinds of computers and gadgets from my childhood to adulthood. I'm also into cars and own two supercharged vehicles. It's a shame the drag strip closed, but what can you do? Naturally, a Tesla being what it is .... it's a given I'm drawn to it. I want one. It's cool. It whines.. in a good way. I refuse to test drive a Tesla because I know what'll happen. I will wait until I close on a house before I open that can of worms... but I'm still questioning my sanity. Is the Model S as cool as it sounds? Is it worth the money? I keep asking myself these questions. But it gets complicated...

I have no where to drive. I work at home! Yeah, there's the occasional run to the store or the weekend drive, but no commute. I take the SO's car out once a week to Costco but I wouldn't take the MS there because I'm mainly going... to get gas!

Logical me says it's dumb to spend $100k on transportation when you have 2 paid off cars and have no where to go.

What do? Anyone else have no where to go but bought a MS anyway? Did you find places to go? Get a new job with a commute? :biggrin:

.. one more "confirmed case" of Teslafection has been reported.. :rolleyes:

Do it! Unlike buying some other normal "luxury" car, buying a Tesla is buying into a way of thinking. I imagine it'll be like no other. I don't yet have one, but will within two years. Be it a Model 3, or a Model S. I'd be fine with either.

You're not alone, or crazy. I'm in pretty much the same boat, except I already have a modern mostly electric car (2012 Volt) - meaning less fuel/maintenance savings to support the money.

I'm also actively avoiding a test drive until I have the money sorted and the X is available.
Walter

I'm afraid to say it, but it's too late for you. As ssq said, once you've 'been bitten' the infection just spreads. Now you will find yourself lurking, lurking, lurking. Then obsessively watching youtube videos for 0-60 sightings and searching Google for Telsa news and updates. Then you'll take a ride over to the Tesla 'store' and test drive. Forget what you say - "I refuse to test drive." Yes, yes you wiiiilllllll... Muahahahaha

By the way, I also work from home and got bitten back in June and held off as long as possible. However, now I'm Mr. 106350 with " The Tesla Factory is building your Model S." written on my "MyTesla" page... :wink:

To the OP:

I felt the same way, had paid off reliable cars. One is even a Volt. Then the CPO's came out, price came down... But most importantly I realized something. A car company like Tesla is born once in a lifetime, and owning one will only be unique once in their lifetime. They already hit 100k cars... And you know what, your a day closer to death than you were yesterday. In May I hit "buy" and realized I wasn't nuts everytime time I drive it.

hope this helps

This is me...100% me. Techie. Work from home. Two paid off cars. My wife thinks I'm crazy to want to spend that kind of money on a car I won't drive much. I told her, "You can drive it too."

- - - Updated - - -

I'm afraid to say it, but it's too late for you. As ssq said, once you've 'been bitten' the infection just spreads. Now you will find yourself lurking, lurking, lurking. Then obsessively watching youtube videos for 0-60 sightings and searching Google for Telsa news and updates. Then you'll take a ride over to the Tesla 'store' and test drive. Forget what you say - "I refuse to test drive." Yes, yes you wiiiilllllll... Muahahahaha

By the way, I also work from home and got bitten back in June and held off as long as possible. However, now I'm Mr. 106350 with " The Tesla Factory is building your Model S." written on my "MyTesla" page... :wink:

Crap...this is me too. :crying:

Especially if you work at home, the Model S will get you out of the house more, it's good for you :biggrin: Make sure you get the pano roof for the extra fresh air.

Driving a Model S whenever you want is a rare treat, and a trip to the future. Once acquired it is also guilt free travel, and you can even have some fun without feeling like you're needlessly wasting. Pretty much every time I let my ICE rip I felt a bit bad (and that was a lot of little bits lol)

I would say sell all the ICE cars and buy a Tesla. Even just a CPO Tesla would be fine. If you need more transportation consider throwing an e-bike into the mix.

Our household is one Tesla and two e-bikes. Perfect for modern life.

I'm probably one of those nuts too. I telecommute to California and only have to go down there once a year or less. I put gas in my old car about once every six weeks.

I will probably need to make more trips down to CA in the next couple of years. My father is 95 and had a health scare in August. He's overall in good health and gets around OK, but for him the road ahead is definitely shorter than the road behind.

My current car was the best road car I've ever had, but it's now 23 and I am wary about taking a car that old on a long trip. I started looking back in February and I was pretty disgusted with what was available. In the ICE market all the cars either have only marginally better gas mileage than my current car, or they are completely gutless. I looked at Tesla on a lark when I had gone through every ICE out there and found the car I was looking for. So I'm saving my pennies for a Model S, probably next year sometime.

It's the most awesome car I have ever owned and I thoroughly enjoy every second when I am driving it. I used to drive 100+mi/day for work, which is one of the reasons I bought it. Now I only drive 18mi round trip and I thought that it seemed ridiculous to have such an expensive car for so little driving. But all I have to do is go for a quick sport drive and I then remember how much I am in love with this car!