Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Homelink to open a house door deadbolt ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm addicted to the easy in and out of the auto-locking Model S, and now want the same for my house, but was not happy with the available options so far as they have limitations eg. Bluetooth connection lag.

So I thought about Homelink, is there a Homelink compatible deadbolt that works with Model S ? (google suggests not really).

I would so love to unlock the house from the car :cool:

edit: and no I don't have a garage that I can leave a door open, and no, I don't suggest anyone post that they do ;)

I'm addicted to the easy in and out of the auto-locking Model S, and now want the same for my house, but was not happy with the available options so far as they have limitations eg. Bluetooth connection lag.

So I thought about Homelink, is there a Homelink compatible deadbolt that works with Model S ? (google suggests not really).

I would so love to unlock the house from the car :cool:

edit: and no I don't have a garage that I can leave a door open, and no, I don't suggest anyone post that they do ;)

I use a combination of Revolv and Schlage Z-wave locks and it detects when I am approaching the house and lets me double-tap my phone to unlock the door when I'm near.

I use http://www.smartthings.com for home automation and have a Kwikset Z-wave deadbolt linked to the system that unlocks when I come within a set distance from the house (500 feet right now). It does not unlock unless you leave and come back, so no worry that it self unlocks in the middle of the night while you are home. It also turns on the porch light and a light in the living room. Open/close sensor on the door then cuts off the porch light and re-locks the door after it closes. I like to play with the system to see how much automation I can do.
Trey

Ah thanks folks... guess that's the answer then... and how timely for me and my Android phone lol August Smart Locks new Android app adds Auto-Unlock - SlashGear

Still a bit miffed that these "standards" like Homelink don't end up doing more than one thing.. eg. my home alarm keyfob is another place this should be available, but there doesn't seem to be anything out there (until entering home automation territory $) that unlocks when disarming.

I'd love to find something similar to the August deadbolt lock but I need a solution for an interior door lock (from garage into house) and not a deadbolt solution. I've been Googling for the last hour or so with no satisfactory solution. (auto unlock via either HomeLink or HomeKit)

Lock industry does not seem to want to catch up soon. August has been great for me, once I got an iPhone. With Samsung Android it was hit-and-miss and never seemed to work at all if I left the hotspot on. With iPhone, just takes 2 or 3 seconds usually at the door but other times it's way early. Always works no matter what. Just like the Tesla app for the car, it just works (where on Samsung Android I had problems),

If the Homelink signal can get to an Arduino controller, something not too complex could be built... and if installed on the wall side wouldn't need battery power... #distruption hehe

Or just install a deadbolt, and then an August, and just leave the old handle unlocked.

You can connect Homelink to any electronically controlled lock with an external button. To do that, get one of those garage opener conversion kits that has a rolling code receiver (and a remote) and gives you a relay contolled virtual button you can connect to anything you want.

I also heard you can program HomeLink with X10 codes, but X10 is a really old technology and therefore very insecure (total of 256 possible fixed codes). If all you want is to turn your garage lights or something like this, X10 can be an inexpensive solution though.

I use One simple home system. A world of possibilities. | SmartThings for home automation and have a Kwikset Z-wave deadbolt linked to the system that unlocks when I come within a set distance from the house (500 feet right now). It does not unlock unless you leave and come back, so no worry that it self unlocks in the middle of the night while you are home. It also turns on the porch light and a light in the living room. Open/close sensor on the door then cuts off the porch light and re-locks the door after it closes. I like to play with the system to see how much automation I can do.
Trey
I have the same deadbolt. What’s the smart things component? The issue I have is I don’t have a buttoned device to point at the Tesla to register it with home link in the car. I tried using the Kwikset app and pushing unlock, but that did nothing 😂