Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Long Distance Trip - Ponte Vedra to Tampa/Clearwater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Curious how you would plan the following trip:

Ponte Vedra (Nocatee actually, just south of Jacksonville) to Tampa and then on to Clearwater. 85D w/ 262 rated range full charge.

EV Trip Planner shows 225 miles/73.5 KwH to my destination in Tampa, and then it isn't too far to my destination in Clearwater after that.

Would you go straight for Brandon SC or plan on hitting the Orlando one?

I guess I have a little range anxiety, but I kind of want to do this to prove it is viable!

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,

I would suggest that you consider a route first to the Ocala Supercharger. From Nocatee it would take you past the St. Augustine Superchargers, but you probably won't need a charge if you did a range charge at home.

Then from Ocala on to the Brandon Supercharger.

EV Trip Planner says is 108 miles from Nocatee to the Ocala Supercharger in which you would expend 114 rated miles.
Then to the Brandon Supercharger its 94 miles in which you would expend 117 rated miles.

At the Ocala Supercharger is Mimi's Cafe. Great place to dine while charging and they give a discount to Tesla owners. Ask for the discount and show them your key fob.

It should be easy.

By the way, if you are interested in joining a Florida Tesla club, please click on the link to Florida Tesla Enthusiasts in my signature.

Larry

Jason,

if if you decide to stay on the interstate system (I95 to I4), consider a quick stop to top off at Port Orange. You will have plenty of juice to get from Port Orange to the Brandon supercharger. I've made the trip from Port Orange to my Tampa home several times with no problem.

The reason I suggest Port Orange is the supercharger at the Turkey Creek turnpike station near Orlando is further from the interstate than the Port Orange stop and, in my opinion, takes longer for the trip up and back to the interstate.

Larry's suggested route would be more scenic, and I agree Mimi's has good food (they just won't let my wife and I sit outside with our dog who often travels with us!)

My first road trip was Tampa to Flagler Beach for a wedding, and I had about as much range anxiety as possible. I don't think I went over 65mph on the first leg from Tampa to Port Orange, which now makes me chuckle at myself. Your anxiety will change quickly as you get comfortable with the true range for the car. Have a great trip!

Jason,

if if you decide to stay on the interstate system (I95 to I4), consider a quick stop to top off at Port Orange. You will have plenty of juice to get from Port Orange to the Brandon supercharger. I've made the trip from Port Orange to my Tampa home several times with no problem.

The reason I suggest Port Orange is the supercharger at the Turkey Creek turnpike station near Orlando is further from the interstate than the Port Orange stop and, in my opinion, takes longer for the trip up and back to the interstate.

Larry's suggested route would be more scenic, and I agree Mimi's has good food (they just won't let my wife and I sit outside with our dog who often travels with us!)

My first road trip was Tampa to Flagler Beach for a wedding, and I had about as much range anxiety as possible. I don't think I went over 65mph on the first leg from Tampa to Port Orange, which now makes me chuckle at myself. Your anxiety will change quickly as you get comfortable with the true range for the car. Have a great trip!

Hi Steve,

Yes, good suggestion.

According to EV Trip Planner its only 134 miles from the Port Orange Supercharger Station to the Brandon Supercharger Station and only 159 miles of rated range would be expended.

Larry

if the weather is good and you leave Nocatee with a full charge and don't exceed 70 MPH you can make it to the Brandon SC via I95 and I4. if you are nervous you can divert to port orange, Ocala is a slower option.
I've done the trip a few times.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

70mph definitely isn't an option for me. :)

I'm going to allow plenty of extra time so I will be good whichever route I take, but definitely a bit apprehensive for my first road trip!

P.S. If I go the Port Orange route do you just double-back to I4 via 95 north?