Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk livestream from Germany 24.9.2015 10:00 UTC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Troy

Aug 24, 2015
Update: This is the new video without German translations.

Highlights:

9:38 Elon: Today's refugee problem is a small indication of what the future will be like if we don't take action about climate change.

12:34 Elon: Germany is great in sustainable power generation, not so much in sustainable power consumption.

13:42 Elon: Germany and Australia are our top priorities on power storage.

14:10 Elon: We hope to launch again in about 68 days. If things go well, we will be able to land the rocket.

20:30 Sigmar Gabriel (German Minister of Economics and Energy): €1.5 bn was spent on EV research. That's good but now we need incentives and regulations that require a certain percentage of new cars are electric.

34:10 Elon says there are no incentives in Germany and recommends up to 10% incentives like in other countries.

48:40 Elon reconfirms superchargers can be used by other car makers as long as the car can take the high power level and the cost is shared proportionally.

49:25 Elon: A European (but not German) car company has recently contacted us about using superchargers.

51:55 Sigmar Gabriel: We have a conflict with Tesla about charging infrastructure. In Europe there is an agreement about having the same charging infrastructure starting from the plug so there are no differences in electromobility in Europe. However Tesla already has their own system. For the time being we are trying to find solutions that ... [interruption, somebody says Tesla's plug is not so different] ... even so the agreement in Europe doesn't make Tesla's plug possible, at least [interruption] ... You should be a politician. We don't let people talk either. But I would still like to continue explaining. So we have an unsolved conflict. For now the solution is, both are offered.

57:05 Elon: Model 3 will be released in 2-2.5 years.

Other videos from Elon's Europe tour
Denmark 23 Sep 2015
Germany 24 Sep 2015

Last edited by a moderator:
The Denmark video is interesting. Around 6:58 Elon reconfirms larger battery in 2016 or 2017. I think he is intentionally being vague about which year because he doesn't want sales to be affected. Maybe late 2016, early 2017 is more likely. I would expect 95 kWh next.

the increase in range that Elon hinted at is amazing. Twice the real life range for a Model S!

. Any one want to do some calculations? With the battery being that much lighter per Kw, how much more efficient will the 3 be?

I took the 1000km/1200km remarks to be about hypermiling rather than normal driving. Elon specifically referred to the recent ~800km record, so this would amount to a 1/4 range increase in two years and 1/2 by five. Still sounds very ambitious.

Man! They ran out of time just when he was starting to engage and give great answers! What was with that weird format of grabbing a bunch of questions before allowing Elon to answer? They would have gotten much better responses going one-by-one.

Man! They ran out of time just when he was starting to engage and give great answers! What was with that weird format of grabbing a bunch of questions before allowing Elon to answer? They would have gotten much better responses going one-by-one.

That was as annoying as heck! It was so confusing that the blond lady wasted all the time "explaining" how it worked. Elon's combination of annoyance and amusement was funny to watch.

As much as I would love a ludicrous car, availability of longer-range batteries like the ones hinted at here will be the only thing that causes me to upgrade my Model S. (hopefully a retrofit can save me a few $$$)

To preempt questions about why I need the extra range: Saskatchewan has a lot of empty space (which our idiot government is steadily filling up). There is often 2-300km between communities, sometimes more. Factoring in wind, weather, and coarse pavement, energy use at highway speed is 25% above rated. It would be nice to arrive at my destination with a little juice left for a change.

As much as I would love a ludicrous car, availability of longer-range batteries like the ones hinted at here will be the only thing that causes me to upgrade my Model S. (hopefully a retrofit can save me a few $$$)

To preempt questions about why I need the extra range: Saskatchewan has a lot of empty space (which our idiot government is steadily filling up). There is often 2-300km between communities, sometimes more. Factoring in wind, weather, and coarse pavement, energy use at highway speed is 25% above rated. It would be nice to arrive at my destination with a little juice left for a change.

If they can get the range to the point where I can drive from here to Winnipeg on a single charge, then I will have to look at my finances...

I expect that if the doubling of range in 2-3 years is correct, and there is no battery upgrade path for current vehicles, their value will crash. We have been looking at getting a second Telsa but perhaps we need to get a few more years out of our odyssey.

I expect that if the doubling of range in 2-3 years is correct, and there is no battery upgrade path for current vehicles, their value will crash. We have been looking at getting a second Telsa but perhaps we need to get a few more years out of our odyssey.
He was talking about increasing from 800 to 1000 km in 2-3 years. Or an increase of around 25%. As he said 2017, I also assume he was referring to the Model 3, and meant the Model 3 with the largest battery will have 25+% more range than the S90D. I think that's great. Should mean an EPA range of around 350 miles for the top-spec Model 3.

I doubt this will radically decrease the value of current cars. For one thing, the incremental benefit of additional range drops rapidly once you get past 200 miles. It's not as if the extence of the 90D obliterates the value of the 70D. I think it's a much riskier proposition to own gas cars. Once the BEVs become compelling, even in the 40k USD price range (~2018) and then the 20k USD range (~2025?), the value of equivalent fossil cars will suffer.