Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Electric Florida Day in Tallahassee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
Drive Electric Florida (DEF) is a multi-stakeholder coalition consisting of utilities, electric vehicle manufacturers, Department of Energy Clean Cities Coalitions, environmental groups, local governments, EV owners groups and EV industry experts. Its mission is to support and accelerate the adoption of plug-in electric vehicles in Florida by engaging and educating the public, businesses, and policy-makers; facilitating collaboration; and supporting EV-friendly policy and programs.

DEF LOGOS.jpg

You will note that our club is a voting member of DEF.

Recently DEF organized and funded the National Drive Electric Week event in Tallahassee at the state Capitol Courtyard and Rotunda. Although it was open to the public, the main objective of the event was to gain face-to-face access to our state legislators.

I want to thank those club members who joined me at the event who volunteered to display their cars and man the information kiosk.

Our objective in organizing this special event was to pursue a number of EV-friendly legislative initiatives. They are:

• Pursuing a state-subsidized charging network
• Removing impediments to Multi-Unit Dwelling charging
• Promoting the use of EVs in state/municipal fleets
• Consumer sales tax exemption

I am pleased to report that we received a receptive ear from our legislators. Obviously the sales tax exemption presents particular challenges in getting it passed in this legislative session, but we are hopeful that we will eventually be successful even if it requires multiple years of advocacy.

Here is an overview of what was accomplished:

• Presented at the Senate Transportation Committee Meeting
• Formally met with 12 legislators and their staff
• Informally met with more than a dozen more – at our outdoor display and test drive area
• Conducted four prearranged test drives for legislators–and then met unexpected demand from several who wanted to drive after attending event
• Interacted with members of the public
• Engaged local Plug In EV owners, dealerships
• Met with members of the media and provided information about Plug In EVs and DEF’s policy priorities
• Estimated attendance: ~300

I attended the Senate Transportation Committee Meeting chaired by Senator Brandes.

Here are a couple of media links featuring Senator Brandes that you should find both interesting and encouraging.

Drive Electric Florida Day at the Capitol

Lawmakers test drive electric cars at the Capitol

I also met with Representative Berman. She is passionate in supporting EVs and solar energy initiatives.

With the proper support I feel that Drive Electric Florida will help make Florida one of the leading states promoting EV adoption.

Larry

Last edited:
Here are some photos of the event in Tallahassee:

Teslas on the Capitol Courtyard.jpg

Tesla on the State Capitol Courtyard

Capitol Courtyard.jpg

Capitol Courtyard

Legislators at Drive Electric Florida Day.jpg

Legislators checking out the EVs

Senator Brandes press conference.jpg

Senator Brandes press conference

Senator Brandes test drive.jpg

Senator Brandes takes a test drive in a Model S P90D.

Tallahassee and Club Med 048.JPG

Club members Sharon & Al from Tallahassee, Chris from Sarasota, Nick from Boca Raton and James from Miami.

Larry

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Amazingly enough I met nick while he was charging at the Ocala supercharger across the street from my house on the way to Tallahassee.

I pulled up and bombarded him with questions about his aftermarket add-ons that I saw on his car while driving by.

I didn't realize he was the host of News from the Frunk and had written a book OwningModelS.com

Nice Guy, I hope to be there for the next event.

Amazingly enough I met nick while he was charging at the Ocala supercharger across the street from my house on the way to Tallahassee.

I pulled up and bombarded him with questions about his aftermarket add-ons that I saw on his car while driving by.

I didn't realize he was the host of News from the Frunk and had written a book OwningModelS.com

Nice Guy, I hope to be there for the next event.

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, it was a bit of a hardship for him to make the trip all the way from Boca Raton and pay for a hotel room, but it's sure good to have someone with his knowledge responding to legislators' questions.

If you are interested in joining a Florida Tesla club, please click on the link to Florida Tesla Enthusiasts in my signature.

Larry