Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 1.5 Owners Wanting 3.0 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about a petition to Tesla with a 100 signatures?

You mean 100 of the (now less than) 500 owners of 1.5 cars stating that they would buy the 3.0 battery if available? That number might be hard to reach. But perhaps a smaller number would be sufficient to convince Tesla to do the additional work required to support the 1.5 cars. I would put my name on that list.

You mean 100 of the (now less than) 500 owners of 1.5 cars stating that they would buy the 3.0 battery if available? That number might be hard to reach. But perhaps a smaller number would be sufficient to convince Tesla to do the additional work required to support the 1.5 cars. I would put my name on that list.

As a 2.0 owner I'd support the 1.5 owners and sign a petition. If someone wants to put something together saying all Roadster owners support a 1.5 battery upgrade path, I imagine there would be a lot of support.

Although I can appreciate there could be engineering challenges and concerns about resource allocation, etc. for a potentially small number of cars that actually upgrade. I just hate seeing some dedicated owners left out in the cold.

I would add my name to that list.
Maybe we need a thread specifically for the purpose of having each 1.5 owner who wants to buy within the next two years a 3.0 battery upgrade make one post and see how many posts we can get.

I'd support the 1.5 owners and sign a petition. If someone wants to put something together saying all Roadster owners support a 1.5 battery upgrade path, I imagine there would be a lot of support.

I second that notion - we should all stand together on this. I would think a petition by all Roadster owners would speak even more strongly than a petition signed by 1.5 owners only.

As a 2.0 owner I'd support the 1.5 owners and sign a petition. If someone wants to put something together saying all Roadster owners support a 1.5 battery upgrade path, I imagine there would be a lot of support.

Although I can appreciate there could be engineering challenges and concerns about resource allocation, etc. for a potentially small number of cars that actually upgrade. I just hate seeing some dedicated owners left out in the cold.

Another 2.0 owner in support of the 1.5's. Unless they need to push the laws of physics on this (and I can't imagine how that could be), it would be a shame to start sub-dividing the Roadsters. We are a team, regardless of model, supporting the revolution that Tesla is embarking on.

I think a petition would be pointless unless it was actually 1.5 owners who are interested in the upgrade. Really, it should only take 20 actual owner to put down a deposit on the upgrade to make it worthwhile for Tesla to move forward. Assuming they aren't already.

Count me in for signing that petition. I don't need or want the upgrade now, but at some point in the future I will. I'm OK if this also requires a deposit is necessary to encourage Tesla to dedicate the necessary resources if that ensures this upgrade project moves forward to include us 1.5 owners.

I think a petition would be pointless unless it was actually 1.5 owners who are interested in the upgrade. Really, it should only take 20 actual owner to put down a deposit on the upgrade to make it worthwhile for Tesla to move forward. Assuming they aren't already.

Right. Since 1.5 owners can't make a deposit at this time, it would first need to be in the form of a petition or letter of intent from those 20.

If the goal was to offer the 3.0 battery and get very few takers, excluding the 1.5 owners was a good way to do it.
I would have expected that more than 1/2 of the sales of 3.0 batteries in the first year or so would be from 1.5 owners ( only 20% of the population ).
All of those cars are 6-7 years old and are the most likely to need it.

If Tesla had said, "We have a 3.0 battery, but it only works on 1.5 cars. We will have a 3.0 battery for the 2.X cars available next year" I would have thought: that makes perfect sense. Good for them for doing it that way. I can certainly wait.

Right. Since 1.5 owners can't make a deposit at this time, it would first need to be in the form of a petition or letter of intent from those 20.
In the "old days," we called this a "group buy." Get a commitment from a large enough number of people, and use that to convince the company to move forward. I cannot stress enough that it needs to come from actual, committed 1.5 owners.

In the "old days," we called this a "group buy." Get a commitment from a large enough number of people, and use that to convince the company to move forward. I cannot stress enough that it needs to come from actual, committed 1.5 owners.

We do have an example to follow in widodh's petition to Tesla requesting 3-phase charging for EU Model S:
Endorse my letter to Tesla for supporting 3-phase charging for the Model S

widodh's letter provided details of 3-phase charging in EU to argue the case, but his endorsers were already Model S reservation holders, so there was no additional commitment to make. In our case, there is no argument to make, but we need a letter from each of us saying that we commit to putting down a deposit if Tesla will accept it and make the battery upgrade available for 1.5 cars.