Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: P90D Ludicrous vs P85D Insane...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Thanks so much for the video!

So why doesn't the P85D keep up to 30mph? I thought up to 30 it was traction limited.

I didn't see this before I responded to the other post, but this is what I thought about it

The P90D did get a little jump on the P85D, but it hits 30 so quickly that they wouldn't be head to head for that long. Best run I had was 1.25s to 30mph, which was achieved in 30ft... roughly the width of a two lane road. Like I've hit 30 before I get to the crosswalk line on the other side of an intersection. So I'm not hugely surprised by the gap so early on... the Model S is ~16ft long so in 2 car lengths you'd be at 30 and then it just pulls.

I didn't record 0-100, but I did get 0-90 in 6.6s on a run that was about .1s slower than my best. In this thread, 0-60/30-50/50-70 comparitive times for 70D/85D/P85D, the P85D took 5.8 to go from 50-100, so there's clearly a good improvement in the acceleration to high speeds and I think that helped here.

Has anybody taken their P90D to the strip yet? Curious to see what they're trapping now, but just rough guesstimating, at around 11.5 seconds into the race the P90D is around 5-6 lengths ahead, though it doesn't appear to be traveling much faster. 10.9 sec for the 90 might be right on the money, with a trap of around a buck 21/22. Nice vid!

Has anybody taken their P90D to the strip yet? Curious to see what they're trapping now, but just rough guesstimating, at around 11.5 seconds into the race the P90D is around 5-6 lengths ahead, though it doesn't appear to be traveling much faster. 10.9 sec for the 90 might be right on the money, with a trap of around a buck 21/22. Nice vid!

I have a very good feeling the 1/4 mile is 10.9. So far I've been able to confirm the acceleration of 1.1G (1.09 in my case), cornering at advertised 1G (1.11G in my case), and getting 2.8s with 1ft (2.81s for me even though I'm heavier than the driver they probably used).

I have a PBOX file that says 1/8 was done in 7.222s @ 93.526mph

Looks very similar to your P85 vs P85D video..

Is the difference comparable? The P90D just a bit faster, but nothing spectacular.. Just like the P85 was just a bit slower in the old video..

Well there's two parts to L-mode. There's it being faster from 0, but also the improved performance from 30 up. The jolt at 30 is really significant. So while this shows the head to head, IMO you have to experience the difference in the acceleration from other speeds for your self to really notice how it is different. When I got my car it wasn't mind blowing from 0-60 compared to the P85D, but it was noticeable. Where I really felt like it was worth it was having more power all the time.

Well there's two parts to L-mode. There's it being faster from 0, but also the improved performance from 30 up. The jolt at 30 is really significant. So while this shows the head to head, IMO you have to experience the difference in the acceleration from other speeds for your self to really notice how it is different. When I got my car it wasn't mind blowing from 0-60 compared to the P85D, but it was noticeable. Where I really felt like it was worth it was having more power all the time.
Its power when going 40mph plus I would like some more of, but the video seems like a marginal improvement and not the WOW-factor needed for convincing myself to pay for the upgrade.. Mostly related to the price. Had the ugrade been lets say 4000USD inc labor I wouldnt hesitate for a second....

Acceleration is more than fast enough for me already:)

Its power when going 40mph plus I would like some more of, but the video seems like a marginal improvement and not the WOW-factor needed for convincing myself to pay for the upgrade.. Mostly related to the price. Had the ugrade been lets say 4000USD inc labor I wouldnt hesitate for a second....

Acceleration is more than fast enough for me already:)

Sorry if I phrased it wrong. That was kind of the point I was trying to make about experiencing the power difference personally. The 0-whatever runs won't really give you context on the differences. Any 0-whatever test I've tried it just pulls and that's great, but when I'm doing 70 and want to pass someone and I have the power, that's when I see the difference. Or when I'm at 40 and floor it. You might see a head to head at those speeds and see a difference, but it's how it feels to the person that I think matters more.

That's why I said it's two parts. This covers one part, but for an existing P85D owner, I personally think you have to experience it first hand to notice the difference. Someone coming from an MB E350 can watch the video and want it, but the P85D is already impressive so the gap is smaller and that's where I think videos can't do it justice.

I put about 1k miles on a P85D before I got my car and while I can't remember everything, I do remember I never got a headache from flooring it at 30 over and over.

They're supposed to be the same up to 30 MPH, but looking at a P85D (first) vs a P90D (second):

90SOC0to60.jpg

PeteRun2.jpg

You can clearly the see the acceleration is identical up to about 25 MPH but then diverges after that. So it's clear the P90DL is actually faster up to 30 MPH. But they should have been the same off the line. If they weren't, then the SOC of the P85D was very low or they were having traction issues.

I think there is reason there haven't been any P85D ludicrous upgrades yet, they are not ready, the P90DL will not go 10's with it's current setup/software....

I have a very good feeling the 1/4 mile is 10.9. So far I've been able to confirm the acceleration of 1.1G (1.09 in my case), cornering at advertised 1G (1.11G in my case), and getting 2.8s with 1ft (2.81s for me even though I'm heavier than the driver they probably used).

I really want to believe that the Ludicrous upgrade will be worth every penny, I really do. But that video doesn't help me much. It's impossible to really tell what's going on because we all believe (or maybe know) that the P85D shouldn't have been killed right off the line like that.

Count one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two, etc when they take off.

P90D really out accelerates for a good 5-6 seconds.

To me, it doesn't look like the P85D driver steps on the accelerator at the same time... but a fraction of a second later.
I've driven one and they jump instantaneously, and this one doesn't look like that... as if it weren't stomped on, or at least not at the same time.

Hmm... going to have to dig out my track slips, but I think I beat this in the P85D with my best at high SoC (was 7.2 something)

The one from one of my later videos, at ~92% SoC, vs the GT-R, I got 7.356 @ 95.003 MPH. Pretty close. The P90D is going to have to put out a lot more power to pull 10.9s in the quarter with only ~0.015s difference in the 1/8th. I'd be curious to see this in the real world. I'd guess it'll do 11.1-11.2s in the 1/4 real world, but who knows.