Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Fanaticism

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I wrote something tonight for other purposes, but thought I would share it here too. Some of you might appreciate or be inspired by it, even if you don't agree with all of it. At the very least, may it serve as a reminder that there are bigger pictures, and despite recent snippiness over Model S issues or Model X features, there is a common good we all share and wish to work towards, and we should balance our vocal enthusiasm for our point of views with temperance.

-------------

Elon Musk and his companies have supporters that some might consider bordering on fanaticism. I would like to briefly explain why I am among those supporters, and why you might should be too.

I like to think big. So does Elon Musk. I care about my family. But I also care about my community. I care about my country. I care about the world. I care about the legacy of my species. There is much to love about us -- humanity -- but much that needs improvement. If we are to be great in the history books of the universe, we must continually strive to be better.

These days, climate change and sustainability are growing in visibility. For me, personally, I am convinced by the evidence put forth by science that these are real problems that endanger the future of our species. I believe we must work towards clean and sustainable energy, in both it's production and consumption. In doing this, we become better and help to secure our future.

Who can lead this charge? Who has the engineering capabilities? Who has the business savy? Who would risk giving up their own personal wealth and free time against difficult odds and opposition? And who will do all of this, not for the purpose of building a better business, but for building a better world? The only name that comes to mind is Elon Musk. He's not the only one with this mission, but so far at least, he is the only one that has demonstrated the capabilities to lead it, serving as a force that so many of us as employees and fans can rally behind.

I would therefore like to offer my gratitude to Elon Musk, all of his devoted employees, and those who share in his mission. Good luck and Godspeed. May the universe and any Gods watching over us remember us kindly and know that we aspired to be better than we are.

I'm an unabashed 'Musketeer'...

I take a lot of flak at work about it but don't deny how much I admire what he's accomplished and what his ambitions are.

Elon represents how our economic system is ideally SUPPOSED to work. He didn't try to make $Millions$ with some BS money shuffle (although the market did help). He asked himself what NEEDED to be done and found a way to profit from doing it.

This disappeared the youtube for a bit but it's back and a great video for Elon fans... enjoy :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am honestly convinced that his ultimate personal goal is to the change the world for the better and not amass wealth and die as a rich man.

I would like to see Silicon Valley elites like Mark Zuckerberg, Larry Page and Bill Gates join hands with Musk and share some of their personal wealth for the success of Musk's endeavors.

Because of boring her with stuff about Tesla, my wife asked if I had a man-crush on Elon Musk. I said no, I have a man crush is on JB Straubel.

Although I think he's a true visionary, I tend to ignore what Elon Musk says because it's so hyperbolic. But I still take JB Straubel seriously.

Wouldn't it be a very different world if many more of the super rich had the character and commitments of Elon Musk. He wants to change the world for the better and hopes to make money doing it but will risk it all to achieve his goals. Most of the others care only about the money and damned their impact on the rest of humanity. The Koch brothers come immediately to mind but there are countless other examples of the evil empires constructed by the super wealthy.

Because of boring her with stuff about Tesla, my wife asked if I had a man-crush on Elon Musk. I said no, I have a man crush is on JB Straubel.

Although I think he's a true visionary, I tend to ignore what Elon Musk says because it's so hyperbolic. But I still take JB Straubel seriously.

Ha! My wife said the same thing to me tonight! I had to show her your post after that.

elon-musk1.jpg

I'm an unabashed 'Musketeer'...

I take a lot of flak at work about it but don't deny how much I admire what he's accomplished and what his ambitions are.

Elon represents how our economic system is ideally SUPPOSED to work. He didn't try to make $Millions$ with some BS money shuffle (although the market did help). He asked himself what NEEDED to be done and found a way to profit from doing it.

This disappeared the youtube for a bit but it's back and a great video for Elon fans... enjoy :smile:

http://youtu.be/aAV7XbOIO_A

And another video out of Slovakia :)

Last edited by a moderator:
After a discussion about this topic with my wife, she commented that she liked the "Musketeer" denominator and would like to contribute the "Muskot" in a similar fashion.

My supervisors told me they went to visit a bakery near Hilden, Germany which is very much dedicated to the proliferation of EVs, offering public charging spots fueled from their own solar panels etc.
Apparently, inside that bakery there was a "shrine" to Elon Musk as well as chargers for your mobile phone that looked like little Superchargers... wonder if they're official Tesla Hardware?
In lack of better imagery, this is from their website, with the homage to Elon just visible on the right, and the little phone chargers as well. I'll add that the image file name is "Elons_Corner_1"
Elons_Corner_1.jpg

Website with the charging spots etc. where I took the image from, in German:

Ladepark ∙ Ihr Bäcker Schüren

It also speaks of a weekly EV enthusiast meeting happening there every saturday.... they even called their breakfast options after the charging available, the "22kW-E-Mobil-Frühstück" or the "50kW-CHAdeMO-Frühstück", which is apparently the faster breakfast :biggrin:
I'll see about making a more dedicated thread about this peculiar bakery in the near future.

I could donate some qiviut to this discussion, forum and cause but, unless 99.4% of you hit your googlesearches, you're not going to understand the reference.... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't use the word fanaticism, but I do have the utmost respect for him and agree with the world-view he presents.

Same here.

I try to keep it real, because I don't want things to go down the route of the Steve Jobs worship that occurred in some sections of the Apple enthusiast community. Elon is a great visionary and the most daring entrepreneur in recent memory, but we should all remember that he is still human and not immune to making mistakes.

Elon is a great visionary and the most daring entrepreneur in recent memory, but we should all remember that he is still human and not immune to making mistakes.
Very true, and I'm sure Elon would own up to making many mistakes in his life. So far, given the incredible difficulty of starting a car company, I do not think he has made any major errors (a subjective assessment of course) but even I feel that he has made a number of minor mistakes with Tesla.
My wife and I sometimes jokingly refer to him as "St. Elon"...and we're atheists! [emoji3]