Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

rattles and noises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went "off-roading" a little bit this weekend when we went apple picking.
Noticed a few things

1. The "leather" dash top and the plastic underside piece right over the speedometer rattle when the car is on rough terrain. After fiddling around with it a little, I was surprised at how flimsy this area of the dash felt. Anyone else have a rattle there or thoughts on how to reduce?

2. Left vent rattles/vibrates. While this happens on uneven roads, it also sometime happens on the highway. I'm guessing theres a point where the harmonic/resonance of the wheel matches something in the vent. It seems like air flow diverters are vibrating against the plastic trim on the dash. Not sure if others have noticed this.

3. When going on rough roads, the rear trunk lid also vibrates and creates booming throughout the cabin. It's a similar sensation to air buffeting when you have an open window or sunroof. Again, not sure if others have noticed this.

I ask all of these so that I can determine:
1. Are others experiencing this?
2. Is this something I can fix?
3. Is this something I should have the Service Center look at?

Problems 1 and 2 service center can look at, although, I think I've seen a thread where one owner fixed a vent rattle by simply tightening a screw.

3. You can adjust yourself. There are rubber stoppers that you can turn to adjust the closure of the liftgate. Check this thread for pictures.

I've owned my S70 for a couple weeks now and have noticed a vibrating sound from around the steering wheel. My hypothesis is that it is related to the driver assist mechanism that vibrates the steering wheel whenever you begin to stray into the lane marker or make a lane change without signaling. When it happens, I hear a subtle vibrating sound without the tactile vibrational feedback through the steering wheel. It can occur at lower speeds on rougher pavement while staying well between the lane markers.

At higher speeds, I get a rattle sound from the rear wheel well or trunk, like a loose wire is vibrating against metal. I've inspected the underside and wheel wells but have not seen anything obvious.

I plan to mention it at the SC when I take it in for the first scheduled inspection.

Went "off-roading" a little bit this weekend when we went apple picking.
Noticed a few things

1. The "leather" dash top and the plastic underside piece right over the speedometer rattle when the car is on rough terrain. After fiddling around with it a little, I was surprised at how flimsy this area of the dash felt. Anyone else have a rattle there or thoughts on how to reduce?

2. Left vent rattles/vibrates. While this happens on uneven roads, it also sometime happens on the highway. I'm guessing theres a point where the harmonic/resonance of the wheel matches something in the vent. It seems like air flow diverters are vibrating against the plastic trim on the dash. Not sure if others have noticed this.

3. When going on rough roads, the rear trunk lid also vibrates and creates booming throughout the cabin. It's a similar sensation to air buffeting when you have an open window or sunroof. Again, not sure if others have noticed this.

I ask all of these so that I can determine:
1. Are others experiencing this?
2. Is this something I can fix?
3. Is this something I should have the Service Center look at?

For me, it is overall still pretty quiet, but I have:

1. A little bit of creaking/rattle in the left panel/vent (left of driver) to left of IC. If kind of push on it a little will stop for few seconds. Seems to be a fit/finish type issue.
2. Something in far truck also on larger bumps/cracks - may try adjusting the back spacers some also.

Overall the car is pretty quiet though still. I don't expect that to last forever here in Chicago as every little trip is as bumpy as possible with our horrible roads here.