Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very deep water

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last year in Minneapolis we had a torrential downpour that raised the water level on some streets to 18"+. My G55 made it through just fine. What would happen with the roadster? Would the enclosed alumin(i)um glider protect the passenger compartment and waterproof connections protect everything else? Or would something catastrophic happen? Btw this storm happened without (specific) warning during rush hour.

There are fans underneath the car that blow air at the electric motor and the PEM.
It is important to not get water in them. I worry about it when I go through 2 inches of water, if I was faced with 18 inches I would turn around.

Zack, tons of ICE vehicles are written off by insurers every year in these "freshwater floods"...if you know it's coming, get to high ground...if you're stuck in it as you described (driving whilst the flood rains are in progress), vfx is right...you're "done like dinner".

Here's something on the ESS. Blast from the past... not sure how accurate it still is:
The Most Coddled Automotive Battery Ever? | Blog | Tesla Motors
Our ESS contains multiple overlapping safety systems – some active and some passive. Each module has its own microprocessor circuitry that monitors a wide range of conditions as well as actively balancing the cell voltage to help mitigate the danger of overcharging (and potential damage from over-discharge). There are sensors inside the ESS that sniff for smoke, check for the existence of water immersions (if the car were driven into a lake, for example), and continually monitor the pack to ensure that it is thermally stable. Each cell is independently fused, not once, but twice. And the pack has been designed to passively contain any single cell entering thermal runaway (e.g. start burning) without propagating further. (For more information on the Tesla Roadster's ESS, see our blog and white paper on the subject.)

ok, to be correct. because of the liquid cooled battery, there is no chance for water to penetrate the back. The rain water has a high electrical residence therefore no current will flow. Most problems are the blower under the trunk. This are only IP33 and will quickly corrode. The fans for the AC are no problem because of IP68. A real problem would be an Tsunami because of the saltwater which leads the current quite well.

maybe we have to ask Lotus to make the same modification on the Roadster like they did with James Bonds Lotus Esprit.

already done, you only have to order the water sealed option. With this option the car can swim, the rear fans are switched to the main battery and will move the car forward. And I have heard rumors that the submarine option is already in alpha status. Diving is done with the front fans. Now we know the real reasons for some design issues.:wink:

Yes, been done, but you have to pack your scuba gear.
Jalopnik - Drive Free or Die
sQuba_Jalop.flv.jpg

Thread on it here.