Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered my (our) Roadster!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I have been hanging about checking the news for the Model S dates for about a year and finally went for a Roadster test drive last Saturday in St Petersburg (FL). Wow...that was it! Hooked! Left wondering how I could possibly wait another year for my electric car?:love:

This afternoon Tesla (Will Nicholas - good guy and cool dude) brought another Roadster to our house and took my wife for a short orientation drive then gave us the keys and told us to go off for a fun drive. We were both pretty hooked but on returning to the house my wife said she had to collect our daughter from school so Will suggested she take the Roadster for the school run. 20 minutes later a text comes through from my wife with one word on it: "Orgasmic!"

I gave Will the deposit for #1211 and wondered how often I'll really get to drive this gorgeous machine....

(Seriously wondering if I'll be able to sleep tonight!)

Once I ordered mine, I watched every video on YouTube, read every forum post, checked for new video, did google searches for new articles I might have missed ... pretty exciting when you finally can pick up your car. My sales person sent me electronic copies of the manuals & I memorized everything. (I'm much calmer about it now.)

Congrats! I hope your wife lets you drive it from time to time :).

C'mon, admit it... when you were waiting for your car, you were on the forums constantly, anxiously watching for any updates on the web site, googling Tesla every 15 minutes to see if there was a new article posted...

And add the "checking the MYTesla Car Status" minimum every hour. Your comment resumes pretty much what I'm going through right now.

And then my sales rep would send me "representative pictures" of where my car was in production - which I would then force my friends to look at. They were all relieved when my car actually arrived.

That's a good idea. :biggrin:
By the way, I checked my status once again and now it's changed!! :eek:
See, it pays back spending half the time of the day checking the status!

Status | Your Roadster is in the Body Assembly factory

Little did she know that her cats were checking online car progress too!

-laugh- The cats almost cancelled my hard top option (difficult to use for sharpening claws) until they realized the Roadster soft top was standard. I'm also keeping a close watch on my keys. (I've tried the pepper, will report back on if that worked. We'll see if they leave me little kitty paw prints to brighten my day.)

Last edited:
Florida, eh?

You down near the keys?

I was just down there for 2 weeks back in March...imagining how great it would be to drive the Roadster over all of the overseas highway bridges...perfect setting!

We live on the Sarasota keys....plenty shoreline roads and a few bridges.:cool: One of the best is the Sunshine Skyway:

sunshineskyway1_bridge_1.jpg
SunshineSkyway1M.jpg

Argh.... We are in the same boat as Nigel and Dragon; our Roadster is #132x (ordered mid-March). This forum seems to be the closest there is to a support group; it's some consolation that we're not alone. We are also constantly checking the forums / google / "My Tesla". Every so often MyTesla says "the status of your car cannot be determined" leading me to think that maybe, just maybe, it is actually about to escape from state zero "Scheduled for build", but no, next refresh it reverts back. Our original preMVP doc [the thing you sign when you hand over the deposit, in the US at least] said June 1st as the delivery date but I'm beginning to think that was wildly optimistic, or maybe the web site is broken. I hope the web site is broken.

As for the "one test drive..." (Jaff) they pretty much had me when I saw my Wife reverse out of the drive and zip down the street in complete silence! It was doubly cool because we had done test drives of Aston Martin DB9 and Jaguar XKR convertibles the day before and I'd never even seen an electric car up close until our Tesla guy pulled into the driveway. The closest we'd ever come was once renting a Prius which left the Tesla plenty of room to impress. Even if the Aston Martin or Jaguar dealers had been willing to bring a car to our house I wouldn't have been able to floor the pedal at 9 on a Sunday morning like we could with the Roadster.

Anyway, time to head back to YouTube/Google/MyTesla, refresh, refresh, refresh... Oh, and tidying the garage of course...

Received a phone message today that it should ship from California in between 2-3 weeks; expect it to be in Florida later this month! Woohoo!

Hang on a moment - looking at your first post, dated April 5th, and this one, it looks like the deposit-to-delivery time on your Roadster might actually be about one month. Really? Did you happen to pick a Roadster they had half-built already?

Thanks in advance!

Anyway, time to head back to YouTube/Google/MyTesla, refresh, refresh, refresh... Oh, and tidying the garage of course...
:biggrin: I know that feeling, I just cleared my calendar for Thursday morning to tidy the garage!

Electrician came this morning to assess what he'll need to install - expect the work to be complete next week. Meanwhile I'm not worrying about the online status reports as our Sales Advisor tells me that it'll be here this month. :cool:

Meanwhile, so many friends want "test-rides" that I'm thinking of starting my own numbering system and charging them a deposit....

Meanwhile, so many friends want "test-rides" that I'm thinking of starting my own numbering system and charging them a deposit....

Nice! But maybe what you need is a web site called MyTeslaRide with a status update, initially something like "Your desire for a test drive has been registered!", then "Your test drive is in the queue", slowly progressing to "You may get a ride this week!". And sometimes "The status of your test drive application cannot be determined at this time." ... No reason our friends shouldn't suffer nail-biting tension like we have to... It is all part of the Tesla experience... heh heh...

Did you happen to pick a Roadster they had half-built already?

Yes, pure luck. The body color (glacier blue) was what we wanted and they had one with the tan leather interior that we were considering; the spec was perfect except we wanted silver wheels instead of the black it was being built with. Changing those has not been an issue and so we are looking at a delivery later this month. I guess that also explains how we got #1211.