Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had an accident Feb 20, 2011

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here has been my experience with repairing my Roadster following an accident as well as dealing with the insurance companies so far:

21 Dec 2010: 2010 Roadster 2.5 delivered to my door
20 Feb 2011: Ford F-150 backs into my Roadster 2.5. Trailer hitch punches square hole in nose, breaks right hood support.
25 Feb 2011: After filing insurance claim with other driver's insurance and speaking with Jake and Andrew at TM, we identified a bodyshop that can handle exotic cars/materials in my local area.
26 Feb 2011: Roadster delivered to slected bodyshop
4 Mar 2011: Roadster disassembled from windshield forward to identify all damages - find cracked CF subframe, broken CF radiator crossmember - plus visible damage identified earlier plus other internal damages.
4-18 Mar 2011: Attempt to identify and order needed parts from Tesla, after several e-mails of photos, Jake comes to Phoenix to view Roadster and catalogue parts needed on 16 Mar 2011. Parts ordered 18 Mar 2011.
30 Mar 2011: Boxes of parts arrive, some from Tesla, some from Lotus. Nose needs to be painted, crash box needs to be removed and new crash box bonded to aluminum frame. Car then needs to be reassembled and paint blended to match fenders and hood. Lastly, front wheel alignment needed.

Estimated 3 more weeks to complete the repairs. Might have Roadster back by Earth Day (22 April 2011). Insurance estimate: $14,000.00.

I have been without my Roadster since 26 Feb 2011. Since the other driver was at fault, I have been going through his insurance. However, his insurance will only provide rental car coverage for the days of actual repair (not waiting for parts) and at $24/day. They say that is all they are required to provide by Arizona law (where I live and where the accident took place). However, I have additional rental car coverage through my insurance for $50/day up to 30 days. I will file claim for that through my insurance and they will go after the reimbursement through the other company.

From what I have read on this forum, this has been fairly quick to get the parts in. What takes longest is identifying what parts need to be replaced and their cost. Once the parts are ordered, those in stock arrive within a week.

Unfortunately, the front part of the Roadster, from the windshield forward, had to be disassembled to identify all the damage. Although the car was drivable after the accident, it was not safe because once the crash box was damaged, the structural integrity was damaged as well. No self-respecting bodyshop would have put it back together so I could drive it until the parts came in.

The pictures below show the delivery and post-crash. Note the visible damage under the hood was the missing hood support bracket. There was more damage underneath.

CIMG0064.jpg

CIMG0065.jpg

CIMG0108.jpg

CIMG0110.jpg

Last edited: