Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Denver-area Roadster owners that can help me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a bit giddy because I've gotten the green light from "the boss" (my amazing wife) to get a Roadster if I can find the right one. The issue now is that I haven't seen one in person in 7 years! Anyone in the Denver area willing to help a fellow Teslatarian out and show me the car, maybe drive me around a parking lot or something? (You can drive, I'm not asking for a free test drive!) I just want to make sure it's the car for me before I continue on this path. Thanks!!

My wife's in Denver, but my Roadster is in Austin with me. So, I can chat with you about it ever few weeks, but no test drives. The folks here on the forum are really great about describing the differences between versions and the options available. Personally, I bought mine sight-unseen having only ever glimpsed one in the wild. You know what you're buying; I've never seen a Roadster owner who didn't have a smile on their face.

I bought mine unseen, but had test driven one years before and had been looking ever since, until finally finding one!
You might try to see if you fit in a Lotus Elise. I am 6'-3" and 220 #. The Tesla has a lower sill height and better seating.
I can drive the Elise, but the seat is a little too narrow, and with long legs it is difficult to climb in. The lower seat height and the seating position on the Tesla are much better. I do not need the sun visors, and some traffic lights are difficult to see.
Just like the Elise, you may think twice about running over a soda can.
The acceleration is insane, and perhaps a little reserved with software, as going up an incline it is very similar.
I had thought the handling would be much worse than the Elise because of the battery weight and the 2" longer wheelbase, but it is quite good. This Tesla sort of ruined the experience for me on a "race built" 911.
Some things that may be surprising:
1. the very long doors that swing out pretty far.
2. the way acorns go flying when you run over them.
3. nothing to tinker with
4. you cannot drown out your GF / wife's talking by revving an engine
5. a garage that does not stink
6. kids stopping in their tracks and pointing and screaming
7. crowds forming around the car in parking lots
8. people looking at you wondering who is that rich brat

Best place to test drive is a mountain incline with lots of twisties. You will never be the same.

the car is somewhat polarizing. Mostly you get thumbs ups, but occasionally you get a loud V8 racing by out of hatred.

I would add "How small it is in-person".

I refer to my MINI Cooper convertible as "the big car".

One thing to try out, once you're in the same area code as one, - getting in and out of it with the roof on. With the roof off, you can slide into it in sort of a controlled fall...and you'll feel like Magnum PI when you do it. But, with the roof on, it can be a bit...ungraceful...getting in and out of it.

I'm pretty busy the next two weeks, but after that, I could take you out in my 1.5. It's in Boulder and has the roof on. PM me if interested, and we can set a time and day.

The picture below was taken shortly after I got my S, 3 years ago. The early fall color is even at about the same stage.

Roadster and S.jpg

Last edited:
I realize this doesn't help much NOW, but I am moving to the Denver area in August of 2016, and will be purchasing another Roadster around the same time once I am settled in. So, provided you find one, I hope to eventually meet up!

Not sure if Very Orange is your thing or the price range is feasible, but my 2011 2.5 (#1213) is for sale right now online through Shift Los Angeles. She was the first Roadster to drive from Dallas to Durango, and I'm sure she would love to enjoy a new loving home in the happiest state she's ever visited!

IMG_2384.jpg

6 guy getting in and out of a lotus elise. - YouTube
90 year old getting in and out of Lotus Elise! - YouTube
Elise:

chassiselise.png

Tesla:
chassistesla.png

- - - Updated - - -

yes Orange is my favorite!
dandrive10.jpg

I realize this doesn't help much NOW, but I am moving to the Denver area in August of 2016, and will be purchasing another Roadster around the same time once I am settled in. So, provided you find one, I hope to eventually meet up!

Not sure if Very Orange is your thing or the price range is feasible, but my 2011 2.5 (#1213) is for sale right now online through Shift Los Angeles. She was the first Roadster to drive from Dallas to Durango, and I'm sure she would love to enjoy a new loving home in the happiest state she's ever visited!

View attachment 95188

I'm a bit giddy because I've gotten the green light from "the boss" (my amazing wife) to get a Roadster if I can find the right one. The issue now is that I haven't seen one in person in 7 years! Anyone in the Denver area willing to help a fellow Teslatarian out and show me the car, maybe drive me around a parking lot or something? (You can drive, I'm not asking for a free test drive!) I just want to make sure it's the car for me before I continue on this path. Thanks!!
I can help with that! I'll PM you my info.

Best place to test drive is a mountain incline with lots of twisties. You will never be the same.
Wow is this ever true! Highway 72 between Highway 93 & Nederland is sublime. Drive it early on a sunny summer Sunday, and it's well lit with almost no traffic. Cons: very few passing areas.

I'll bet the million dollar highway is pretty amazing in a Roadster. Didn't "Clementine" do that one?