Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Natural gas vehicles (NGVs, CNG)

  1. #1
    ERIC VFX vfx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CA CA
    Posts
    14,795

    Honda pulls out of CNG

    The Auto Channel
    Amidst charges that embattled American Honda is systematically suppressing its compressed natural gas (CNG) vehicle program, the company has suddenly fueled that impression by throwing into bankruptcy its wholly-owned CNG refueling company, Fuelmaker....
    And it's not pretty...
    Last edited by vfx; 2009-04-18 at 08:58 AM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Chicago Area, Northwest Burbs
    Posts
    544
    That's not going to make T. Boone Pickens very happy.
    Mark Tomlinson
    "I am not a trouble maker; I'm a catalyst for change."

  3. #3
    Roadster 919, S 2006 Doug_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    12,493
    Blog Entries
    1

    Natural gas vehicles (NGVs, CNG)

    I heard a short talk about this car last night.

    2011 Honda Civic GX Overview - Official Site

    Apparently the idea is you have a small compressor in your garage that compresses natural gas from your home heating hookup and pumps it into the car. The range is pretty good.

  4. #4
    mod squad TEG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    15,449
    It has been around for a while.
    It gets mentioned on the forum occasionally. For instance, here are a couple:

    CNG REEVs?
    Hydrogen vs. Battery

  5. #5
    Member Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The great OC
    Posts
    876
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    Apparently the idea is you have a small compressor in your garage that compresses natural gas from your home heating hookup and pumps it into the car. The range is pretty good.
    According to the site below, the "small compressor" uses 800 watts of eletricity to compress gas for 50 miles of travel.

    Knowledge Base - Fox Service Company

  6. #6
    Roadster 919, S 2006 Doug_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    12,493
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    According to the site below, the "small compressor" uses 800 watts of eletricity to compress gas for 50 miles of travel. [/url]
    For four hours... which makes it 3.2 kWh, or 64 Wh/mile. That's about 20% of an EV right there.

  7. #7
    ERIC VFX vfx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CA CA
    Posts
    14,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    For four hours... which makes it 3.2 kWh, or 64 Wh/mile. That's about 20% of an EV right there.
    Well that huge news to me. 2nd only to range anxiety is charge time on people's list of why not to get an EV. So a NG car has little philling infrastructure and a long "charge" time? Nice to have this bit of info when someone says, "Why an EV? Why not a NG car?"

  8. #8
    mod squad TEG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    15,449
    Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    Well that huge news to me.
    Did you read the old post I linked before?:
    Hydrogen vs. Battery

  9. #9
    Roadster 919, S 2006 Doug_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    12,493
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    Well that huge news to me. 2nd only to range anxiety is charge time on people's list of why not to get an EV. So a NG car has little philling infrastructure and a long "charge" time? Nice to have this bit of info when someone says, "Why an EV? Why not a NG car?"
    Of course I could point out that this is just garage fueling. Presumably an industrial-sized compressor at a proper filling station could do the job a lot faster.

  10. #10
    Member Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The great OC
    Posts
    876
    Quote Originally Posted by TEG View Post
    Did you read the old post I linked before?:
    Hydrogen vs. Battery
    I am guilty of not reading either, until your second mention of the link. In my mind I didn't make the connection of the discussion of natural gas filling to a Hydrogen vs. Battery discussion.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Coal Loses to Natural Gas
    By vfx in forum Energy, Environment, and Policy
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 2013-03-09, 06:56 PM
  2. Gasland The Dark side of Natural Gas
    By vfx in forum Energy, Environment, and Policy
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 2013-01-03, 07:41 AM
  3. US natural gas prices lowest in years!
    By zack in forum Energy, Environment, and Policy
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2012-01-27, 02:47 AM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2011-11-20, 01:15 AM
  5. Natural gas + Bio Diesel = 100MPG hummer?
    By TEG in forum Cars and Transportation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2007-11-05, 08:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •