Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla punish buyers of RWD 70 with longer delivery times?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the design Studio any car you order today shows "November Delivery" except RWD 70, which is "Late November Delivery"

It can't be the 70kWh battery pack, because 70D is "November Delivery"
It can't be RWD, because RWD 85 is "November Delivery"
Even P90D with Ludicrous Mode is "November Delivery"
It can't be necessity to batch certain configurations because they proudly say in plant tours that robots allow any mix of features, even right and left wheel drive, to be built on the same line at the same time.

It was the same last month as well when the delivery times were "October" and "Late October"

Does anyone know why?

The 70kWh RWD version is Tesla's lowest gross margin model. In other words, Tesla makes the least amount of money on the 70 RWD. So, for Tesla they typically want to give some kind of incentive for people to buy the other models... thus the slightly longer wait for the 70kWh RWD version.

I'm sure DaveT is correct. Businesses often provide incentives to purchase their higher margin products. That's just good business. Tesla isn't tell g people they can't buy the base model, they are simply saying, in effect, that they are favoring their more profitable customers in that minor way.

On the design Studio any car you order today shows "November Delivery" except RWD 70, which is "Late November Delivery"

It can't be necessity to batch certain configurations because they proudly say in plant tours that robots allow any mix of features, even right and left wheel drive, to be built on the same line at the same time.

It was the same last month as well when the delivery times were "October" and "Late October"

Does anyone know why?
Just a FYI, Single Motor and Dual Motor Cars do not have the same battery casing. The "D" Version'd battery packs have a additional connector to route the power closer to the second motor to reduce wiring, and in wiring resistance/heat loss.

Just a FYI, Single Motor and Dual Motor Cars do not have the same battery casing. The "D" Version'd battery packs have a additional connector to route the power closer to the second motor to reduce wiring, and in wiring resistance/heat loss.
For the earlier E pack that was true. But for the new 2.0 enclosures batteries both rwd and dual models use the same battery. Same for 85 and 90 versions to.
This is info from the Tesla part catalog.

1. Teslas have always been made in batches, likely due to parts availability or how they are brought into the assembly line. Just because they use a lot of robots doesn't mean they aren't more efficient if they are building the same type. So sometimes you get lucky and sometimes not.

2. The higher priced Teslas have always been given priority. This is nothing new.

Does anyone know why?

Same reason First Class and Business Class passengers board first :)

Tesla has always prioritized the delivery of higher trim level vehicles and I think that is an absolutely reasonable business decision. I am sure they'll stick very close to the delivery timeline they gave you though so you know what to expect...

When I ordered my P85+ in June 14, it was the top car. Delivery was stated to be one month due to being a priority delivery. It took three months. I just let it go, though it was really hard to do so. I think that the simple fact is that they cannot deliver them fast enough. A great problem for any manufacturer. As a stockholder, I am happy with that. 1100% gain for me.

When I look at actual deliveries, I see absolutely no priority difference between models. The lead times on the Design Studio are conservative.
Exactly.
I was making the same assumptions as everyone else in this thread before ordering. Once I put my deposit down, AND I had gone ahead and switched my delivery preference to "Earliest Available" in MyTesla dashboard, a full month was knocked-off.
Of course, it could be pure luck, or the fact I am local and picking up in Fremont.
YMMV